Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

Porteous not also in and out of Watford team. Was on the bench the other week. 

Yeah meant to mention that. He lost his place through suspension and didnt immediately get put back in as they were winning. He did get back in though but was on the bench again on Boxing Day. They did lose 4-1 so we'll see if they change anything......

From looking relatively strong with plenty options at CB we've suddenly got issues. Hanley's been long term injured, Tierney medium term injured. Hendry moved to Saudi. No idea how genuinely competitive that is? Porteous is in and out of the Watford side, Cooper's sitting on Leeds bench and McKenna's not kicked a ball at club level since early September. And John Souttar isnt starting every week for Rangers either. Its not ideal.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Porteous was on the bench at the weekend, but he has played a consistent percentage of available minutes for Watford (78%) since the last international break. A lot of folk like to get into doom and gloom territory quickly so worth reminding everyone Euro 2024 isn't until June and we're not yet in January. 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.981f8e0ae2e5feda82cb09429eab6434.png

Yeah merit in this point, but its not unreasonable to have some concern that Jack Hendry is the only one of our six centre backs playing regular football at the moment. 

If Hanley and Tierney remain fit and Porteous gets back in for Watford it'll be less of a concern. McKenna getting a move would be a bonus.

Does Shankland’s excellent goal for Hearts last night put him in contention for being the

“can’t not be there super sub “ ?

I don’t see him as starting but as he showed in Georgia, bring him on when we’re needing something, don’t think there’s anyone else I’d put in front of him

This is presuming Dykes, Adams and Christie are stick-ons barring injuries 

Just now, MarkoP said:

Does Shankland’s excellent goal for Hearts last night put him in contention for being the

“can’t not be there super sub “ ?

I don’t see him as starting but as he showed in Georgia, bring him on when we’re needing something, don’t think there’s anyone else I’d put in front of him

This is presuming Dykes, Adams and Christie are stick-ons barring injuries 

He's been very good, still too early for me though. What if he gets a move and doesn't hit it off for example. I'd hold fire until after the March window to see where he is. Obviously if he keeps doing what he's doing you'd include him - but still lots of time ahead and the Euro's squad isn't due until May probably.

On 28/12/2023 at 11:05, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah meant to mention that. He lost his place through suspension and didnt immediately get put back in as they were winning. He did get back in though but was on the bench again on Boxing Day. They did lose 4-1 so we'll see if they change anything......

Porteous started again tonight.

Strikers "Goalscoring Form" for the month of December (24-Nov ~ 31-Dec). Lawrence Shankland leads the way followed by Kevin Nisbet and then Oli McBurnie if viewed through minutes on the pitch per goal. Adams, Fraser and Conway also doing reasonably well.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4eace3b8a6c5cfb49d65d7e314f28934.png

Edited by 2426255

On 29/12/2023 at 23:46, Skyline Drifter said:

Hanley was an unused sub.

Played 74mins against Southampton in a 5-4-1 and the Norwich fans happy with his performance which is saying something since they are a bunch of moaners right now.

There was a previous discussion around our strikers not scoring and why it might not be important.

Spoiler
On 21/10/2023 at 13:34, 2426255 said:

In the build up to our most recent goal against France, Billy Gilmour doesn't try to pass to Che Adams when he receives the ball from Kenny McLean. He is looking to cut it back to the penalty spot (area) or directly to Lewis Ferguson (player), not sure which. Ultimately it goes to Tchouaméni, he self destructs and we score.

It's been built in for a while if you remember back to the home game against the Faroe Islands or John McGinn's amazing goal in the friendly away in Austria and both Scott McTominay's goals against Spain follow the same pattern - it's written all over the team, you can see that just by looking at the chances that play out all the way to hitting the back of the net.

If you look at our strikers as a decoy then it maybe changes your perception and expectations of them and the role they perform. Potentially interesting to do a comparison of the number of chances created for our strikers against our midfield players over the qualification campaign in open play or something like that. I'll maybe look into that after the November window.

On 22/10/2023 at 00:04, craigkillie said:

McTominay's goals have almost all been coming from deep, you can't come from deep if you're playing centre-forward and don't have Dykes or Adams occupying the defenders for you.

I saw a quote from Steve Clarke which adds weight to view that the strikers aren't who we are trying to generate chances for and play a supporting role in attacking play. 

A lot of the strikers that I play, Lyndon Dykes, Che Adams, whoever it is upfront, whichever one it is, always seem to get a little bit of stick because they don't get enough goals. The way we play, the way the team is structured, is for that striker to help the midfield boys to score goals. 

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/13035632/scotland-steve-clarke-discusses-euro-2024-qualification-scott-mctominay-squad-selection-dilemas-for-germany

Interesting to see what everyone’s views are, if everyone fit and on form come June ( which is a big ask, after a long season ) 

The Players that are pretty much on that Plane IMO are - 

Goalkeepers

1. A.Gunn

2. C.Gordon

3. ?????? 

Defence

4. A.Robertson

5. K.Tierney

6. A.Hickey

7. R.Porteous

8. G.Hanley

9. J.Hendry 

10. ????? 

11. ????? 

Midfield

12. J.McGinn 

13. B.Gilmour 

14. C.McGregor 

15. S.McTominay 

16. L.Ferguson 

17. S.Armstrong 

18. ????? 

19. ?????

Forwards 

20. L.Dykes 

21. C.Adams 

22. R.Christie 

23. ????? 

1 hour ago, BroraBoy said:

Interesting to see what everyone’s views are, if everyone fit and on form come June ( which is a big ask, after a long season ) 

The Players that are pretty much on that Plane IMO are - 

Goalkeepers

1. A.Gunn

2. C.Gordon

3. ?????? 

Defence

4. A.Robertson

5. K.Tierney

6. A.Hickey

7. R.Porteous

8. G.Hanley

9. J.Hendry 

10. ????? 

11. ????? 

Midfield

12. J.McGinn 

13. B.Gilmour 

14. C.McGregor 

15. S.McTominay 

16. L.Ferguson 

17. S.Armstrong 

18. ????? 

19. ?????

Forwards 

20. L.Dykes 

21. C.Adams 

22. R.Christie 

23. ????? 

I would be amazed if Patterson and McLean don’t make it. 

There are still big question marks around Gordon and Hanley imo.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gordon definitely needs to play at least some football between January and the summer.

Totally agree but we saw what happens when A.Gunn didn’t play, part of that was a makeshift defence but I’d feel comfortable with A.Gunn + C.Gordon 

100% with Gordon needing game time and match fitness, fingers crossed he does enough at Hearts 

37 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would be amazed if Patterson and McLean don’t make it. 

There are still big question marks around Gordon and Hanley imo.

Hanley back playing again and he is solid enough, for me we defo lack a high quality CB and a Fwd 

39 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

Hanley back playing again and he is solid enough, for me we defo lack a high quality CB and a Fwd 

I don’t disagree, although a year of missing squads won’t help his case.