Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't think you can play a left-sided player out of position at RWB as easily as if it was just a basic RB role. There's a lot more too it, you need to be able to provide width and I think you have to have a natural inclination to the position and to hugging the touchline. I'd say it's fine if you're a genuinely exceptional footballer like Hickey, who is able to pick his times to float inside a bit, but even someone like Robertson would struggle in that role as we saw when he played it against Denmark.

You do? Wasn't long ago that you had Hickey unable to play on the right 🤣

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

No Livramento nor Barnes in England side (not particularly surprising).  Still, it's a provisional squad of 33 so is suggestive of the current pecking order.

Guilty of hopium of the finest kind...

Ultimately it just comes down to what those two want. Both will be included if playing for Scotland is something they want. Simple as that.

Same before every squad announcement. There's always hope, anything is possible until the squad is announced.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

Ralston is the best DEFENSIVE full back we have available. If Clarke hasn't convinced Livramento then I'm sure we'll see Forest in the squad and perhaps Frazer. 

I hope that is not true

22 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Have they confirmed how many players will be permitted in the matchday squads? It was 23 from 26 at the last Euros, but I'm sure it was 26 at the 2022 World Cup.

They've confirmed it on Sky sports that I'll be 26 match day squads.

29 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

No Livramento nor Barnes in England side (not particularly surprising).  Still, it's a provisional squad of 33 so is suggestive of the current pecking order.

Guilty of hopium of the finest kind...

England have some amount of talent to choose from. Money talks, and there's so much of it in the English game that is feeding into player development; I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that eventually they're going to have to win one of these things.

Currently I don't think the Newcastle guys are anywhere close, though Anderson and Livramento have age on their side. But if Harvey Barnes ever wants to be an established international footballer he should be offering to buy his own ticket for the Scotland plane.

There are 23 stick ons so I think there will be one more to cover the right back issue.  Palmer, O'Donnell or someone similar.  Really hope he doesnt go with 4 goalkeepers, think that would be a waste of a pick.  Leaves space for 1 possibly 2 wildcards, a bit talk of a Doak (is he fit) or Barron (not seen enough of him) 

Can Clark pull a Barnes or a Livramento out the bag, not that we should be begging these guys to play for Scotland but even one of them would give us a lift / spark going into the warm up games / tournament. They are  never ever getting an England squad in a million years.

Perhaps the extended squad is for similar reasons as Nagelsmann. He said to have large enough training group to manage loads with some players not showing up until later.  

We will go to the European Championship with four goalkeepers. Why? I see it as important in training to control the workload. The candidates know about it. I won’t mention names out of respect for the players. It’s easy to explain why we have one more player. There are players who will join us late (due to the CL final). We need to have a good training squad with the right number to be able to train well and it’s also a little preparation in case someone gets injured. We also have two test matches that we want to play with a good squad and I don’t want to go in with just 18 players

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

You do? Wasn't long ago that you had Hickey unable to play on the right 🤣

You can keep on making this up, but again I will challenge you to find the quotes, something you have failed to do on any of the previous occasions. I said he hadn't played RWB at club level (which was true at that point, obviously not now) when loads of people were claiming he had.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You can keep on making this up, but again I will challenge you to find the quotes, something you have failed to do on any of the previous occasions. I said he hadn't played RWB at club level (which was true at that point, obviously not now) when loads of people were claiming he had.

Thats a good attempt but no thats not what happened. Some may have claimed he had played on the right. Which he actually had briefly also.

But what most folk were saying was he was a completely 2 footed player. Whose coachs had mentioned he can play both sides.

And you couldn't grasp how that was possible. And also you claimed he was a worse player than Greg Taylor! Both of which have turned out to be horse shit 🤣

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

There are 23 stick ons so I think there will be one more to cover the right back issue.  Palmer, O'Donnell or someone similar.  Really hope he doesnt go with 4 goalkeepers, think that would be a waste of a pick.  Leaves space for 1 possibly 2 wildcards, a bit talk of a Doak (is he fit) or Barron (not seen enough of him) 

Can Clark pull a Barnes or a Livramento out the bag, not that we should be begging these guys to play for Scotland but even one of them would give us a lift / spark going into the warm up games / tournament. They are  never ever getting an England squad in a million years.

There would be no point in naming a 4th keeper as a keeper can be replaced at any time

It will, in effect, be a 27 man squad with 4 keepers, one of whom just won’t be stripped on match day 

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Hope you are right, but I think we might have heard some leaks etc if they had changed their minds. 

12 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Hope you are right, but I think we might have heard some leaks etc if they had changed their minds. 

We hadn’t with Elliot Anderson.  He just turned up in the squad. 

14 minutes ago, adamntg said:

We hadn’t with Elliot Anderson.  He just turned up in the squad. 

Theres a big difference though. Anderson has only (officially) represented Scotland at youth level. He’s basically Scottish until he says otherwise. The other guys are English until they actively declare themselves Scottish. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

There would be no point in naming a 4th keeper as a keeper can be replaced at any time

It will, in effect, be a 27 man squad with 4 keepers, one of whom just won’t be stripped on match day 

I agree with you but that hasn't stopped the Germans (and I think someone else) naming 4 keepers. England also named 4 today though I'd presume Trafford will be dropped by the time it's trimmed to 26.

Quite excited for the announcement tomorrow.

Squad of 28 means we can be fairly sure of a couple of wildcards (I think)

There will at least be some talking points.

Agree that it would have been probably leaked previously if Barnes or Livramento had been persuaded although I'd be absolutely buzzing if either were announced

4 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Quite excited for the announcement tomorrow.

Squad of 28 means we can be fairly sure of a couple of wildcards (I think)

There will at least be some talking points.

Agree that it would have been probably leaked previously if Barnes or Livramento had been persuaded although I'd be absolutely buzzing if either were announced

I was actually just about to post if anyone else was buzzing for it, or if it was just me! 

Can still remember the announcement from the last Euro’s. 

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I agree with you but that hasn't stopped the Germans (and I think someone else) naming 4 keepers. England also named 4 today though I'd presume Trafford will be dropped by the time it's trimmed to 26.

Didn’t realise some countries were picking 4, seems overkill to me when they can just be replaced.

Then again, the 4th choice might not want to come along just for the ride, especially if they are an experienced keeper?

If Scotland go with 3 plus a standby, I wonder if Craig Gordon would be happy to come along for the ride? I doubt it. And if Kelly is dropped to 4th choice then I’d imagine he won’t be happy

Now I actually think it would only work if you brought along a young keeper.

I’ve now talked myself into thinking that Clarke will name 4 keepers in the 26 😂

14 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Didn’t realise some countries were picking 4, seems overkill to me when they can just be replaced.

Then again, the 4th choice might not want to come along just for the ride, especially if they are an experienced keeper?

If Scotland go with 3 plus a standby, I wonder if Craig Gordon would be happy to come along for the ride? I doubt it. And if Kelly is dropped to 4th choice then I’d imagine he won’t be happy

Now I actually think it would only work if you brought along a young keeper.

I’ve now talked myself into thinking that Clarke will name 4 keepers in the 26 😂

I think either Gordon or Kelly would be delighted to go regardless - ultimately both already know it’s incredibly unlikely they will play. More so Kelly. 

Posted (edited)

Personally, I can't see Livramento being called up by England. Barring a barage of injuries, he won't be.

He's behind Walker, Trippier, James, Rico Lewis. Not counting TAA as he's a midfielder for England.

In 36 EPL matches he's got two assists and one goal.

Patterson has zero goals and two assists in 38 games.

There's really not that much between them. They both have the same "Bambi on ice" vibe about them.

If called up, Livramento would be our 3rd choice right back, when everyone's fit. He'd also be England's 3rd choice one Trippier and Walker retire.

I know that Patterson's injured, but I wouldn't include an uncapped player for such a massive tournament.

Barnes has come out and said that he only wants to play for England. Which gets my total respect. I can't see Anderson playing for England.

If I were Steve Clarke I would do what Southgate is doing. I would call up a few kids in order to give them experience and ataste of the full squad atmosphere.

I'm talking about kids like King, Morrison, Johnston, Miller, Watson, Cameron, Conway, Fotheringham etc. Spending a couple weeks training, and maybe getting a few minutes in the friendlies, would be great experience for these lads.

Watching professionals like Robertson, McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn, McTominay up close and how they train and conduct themselves. It would be an education and it would show them what standards you have to reach if you want to reach the top level and to represent Scotland.

Oh. I'm very excited.

Edited by SlayerX