Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Posted (edited)

All I wanted to do was talk about what a good player Connor Barron is, and the resident oddballs of the subforum have tried to draw me into bizarre arguments about Scotland fan's expectations of Ryan Gauld from 10 years ago and the legitimacy of Portugese 2nd division football.

I suppose its about what I should expect engaging with the sorts of people who would name themselves after a Kasabian song or an American cartoon. 

Good day to you.

Edited by Jives Miguel

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

All I wanted to do was talk about what a good player Connor Barron is, and the resident oddballs of the subforum have tried to draw me into bizarre arguments about Scotland fan's expectations of Ryan Gauld from 10 years ago and the legitimacy of Portugese 2nd division football.

I suppose its about what I should expect engaging with the sorts of people who would name themselves after a Kasabian song or an American cartoon. 

Good day to you.

Someone made a light comparison to the Gauld hype as a reminder that things don’t always work out. You responded with a silly argument that didn’t actually work out in your favour then got oddly antagonistic (as usual) when anyone disagreed.

Good day indeed.

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Good day to you.

Initially, I brought up the point that everyone thought Ryan Gauld was going to be a player for Scotland following your point about it being obvious Barron was going to have a meaningful Scotland career or something along those lines.

You then replied with some childish comment and threw your toys out the pram and started waffling on about several things that were clearly incorrect. If anyone is the "resident oddball" then it is yourself.

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Good day to you.

Spongebob Squarepants Worlds Smallest Violin GIF

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

suppose its about what I should expect engaging with the sorts of people who would name themselves after a Kasabian song

Good song though. 

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Good day to you.

Sad Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Barron has been our best player in 2024, and tactically critical to so much of what we have done well under Leven.

All six wins under Leven have all been against bottom six opposition, I think it is far too early for him off the back of a broadly disappointing season.

Posted (edited)

Barron was the stand out player for the under 21s in the matches at fir park. Hadn't really noticed him before but came away thinking he could have a chance to go to senior level in the next few years. Still think this might be a bit early for him though

Edited by shivute

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

All six wins under Leven have all been against bottom six opposition, I think it is far too early for him off the back of a broadly disappointing season.

Sure, but performances have gradually improved and Barron has been key to making us more comfortable in possession against nominally weaker opposition, at least compared to the first half of the season. 

I actually think his best performance under Leven, though, was the semi-final against Celtic, where he was the key to ensuring we progressed the ball much more effectively than we did in the League Cup final.

I'm not advocating for Barron to be included, by the way, and I did say I would be surprised if he was, but I don't agree that he has had a disappointing season individually. He is one of only a few players in our squad who I feel can emerge from this season with genuine credit.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Good day to you.

I hear ya.

I've been back for 5 minutes after a few years of a hiatus.

Already I've been called a glue sniffer and a Troll by two troglodytes who can only communicate further by using the modern Hieroglyphs aka Memes.

(They'll discover fire in a decade or so)

All because I gave my opinion on Scotland's chances at the Euros.

I wouldn't worry about it, mate. They're just sad sacks who are on here at midnight on a Friday, picking fights trying to give their life meaning and look clever. (Massive fail)

Time is precision. Be selective by how, and who you spend it on. The aforementioned individuals clearly aren't worth a second.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Edited by SlayerX

On the face of it if you were wanting to use one of the extra places on a promising young midfielder everyone's initial instinct is going to favour Miller or Watson over Barron owing to both having far better seasons, but I don't think it's really an unreasonable shout.

Watson is clearly a more attacking player and maybe Clarke wants that spot to go to someone who can play deeper, where despite our abundance of creative midfield options we don't have as many real holding midfielders as attacking options. McTominay has played there but is better in a more advanced role, it's absolutely Gilmour's position but his strengths lean more to the deep lying playmaker side of the game than defensive grit (which isn't to say he offers nothing defensively), Jack's injuries and decline should mean he isn't going.

It's not unreasonable to think we're more likely to need another option there if we were to have an injury to McGregor, Gilmour or McLean during the tournament than having another attacking option if we were to lose McGinn, Christie or Armstrong, bearing in mind Forrest will possibly be there as well and the obvious solution if we were missing McGinn would be to play McTominay further forward.

Miller has had plenty of game time in deeper roles as well and Kettlewell seems to be keen on helping to develop him into an all-rounder who's comfortable as an attacking or defensive midfielder, but while if you're good enough you're old enough Barron's greater experience probably does count in his favour here. Miller's best role within the midfield is still to be established, Barron is clearly at his best deeper, this is Miller's breakthrough season while he's still only 17, Barron is 21 and was already established as an Aberdeen regular last season. You can also say this shouldn't matter next to club performances and maybe it doesn't, but the fact Barron has been a regular for the under 21s and Miller hasn't played beyond under 19s for Scotland yet might be another factor in his favour.

I'm sure Clarke and the SFA will have a good idea of the youngsters they expect to be future Scotland regulars, but I don't think there are any who can come into the squad for the Euros and then stay there in the same way that Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull did. 

Just now, accies1874 said:

I'm sure Clarke and the SFA will have a good idea of the youngsters they expect to be future Scotland regulars, but I don't think there are any who can come into the squad for the Euros and then stay there in the same way that Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull did. 

I think Conway would be close if he gets a call up. Connor Barron? probably agree with you that he would be a bit more of a slow burner like Lewis Ferguson was.

Down to Earth comments from yer man James Forrest.

A few folk have mentioned it but I haven’t spoken to anyone. Even a couple of months ago, my name wouldn’t have been spoken about. But it’s a positive that it’s maybe a debate now. I haven’t booked any holidays. You always wait to the last minute as a footballer anyway because of cup finals and stuff. Do I fancy the wing-back shift? Aye, we’ll see. You’d play anywhere for Scotland. Steve Clarke has done really well, getting to the Euros twice and the boys have been exceptional. We will see if I get involved or not.

James Forrest

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/24329062.reborn-celtic-star-forrest-ready-play-anywhere-scots/

On 12/05/2024 at 08:45, 2426255 said:

Maybe Clark and Gordon will get one game each for Hearts to finish their domestic season.

Pleased to let you all know that I've been proven to be absolutely, 100% correct on the above suspicion.

4 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I haven't watched any Celtic games recently since Forrests form seems to have improved - has he been playing right wing back?

No. He plays as a winger for Celtic. I don't think he's ever played RWB for Celtic to be honest. Might be wrong about that, but Celtic don't often play with three centre-backs.

On a separate note, Ralston's assist for Celtic's winner today was a real peach. His crossing is way underrated. He also put the ball on a plate for McTominay against the Netherlands back in March. He's got excellent delivery if he can get into the zones that can hurt the opposition.

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

On the face of it if you were wanting to use one of the extra places on a promising young midfielder everyone's initial instinct is going to favour Miller or Watson over Barron owing to both having far better seasons, but I don't think it's really an unreasonable shout.

Watson is clearly a more attacking player and maybe Clarke wants that spot to go to someone who can play deeper, where despite our abundance of creative midfield options we don't have as many real holding midfielders as attacking options. McTominay has played there but is better in a more advanced role, it's absolutely Gilmour's position but his strengths lean more to the deep lying playmaker side of the game than defensive grit (which isn't to say he offers nothing defensively), Jack's injuries and decline should mean he isn't going.

I wouldn't say Watson is an attacking midfielder, he's very much a box-to-box player, but he does his defensive stuff well and has played a couple of games in a sort of RWB position for us. I definitely wouldn't say he's any more attacking than Barron.