Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

If Craig Gordon is out for Liam Kelly then I owe @Skyline Drifter one massive apology, he absolutley nailed that call. Literally the only person on this forum that was adament it wasn't clear cut. 

I think it's the wrong call but absolute fair fucks to SD for going against the grain and correctly calling that.

22 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Would I be right in saying that Shankland will be assigned number 9 in Dykes’s absence, or will Adams take it and someone else take the number 10?

Depends if the stitching has been done, but I’d have thought Conway would be 9.  But I’m for Euro 92 nonsense.  

19 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Liam Kelly is nowhere near good enough to be in the squad. You may as well take McCrorie if you're looking to the future, as Kelly is about to take his position as permanent benchwarmer. 

It's a small point, because surely he won't have to play, but I'd still feel more comfortable if he was left behind. 

Neither is Clark.   It’s one hell of an issue that we are quite happy to gloss over.   I’m not even convinced by Gunn, but he’s by a margin the best we’ve got.  

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Memories of Alan Rough sunbathing behind the goals in Mexico.

I’ve got memories of Alan Rough sunbathing in front of the goals in Seville four years earlier 

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Others have already done it - England seem to have been forced into it through the media leaks.

Looked more like an X-Factor audition than a team announcement.

It was like a really shit version of the one we did in 2020

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

If it is Gordon that gets cut do you still think he’ll bother to travel with the squad?
I don’t, given as some said he’s a decade older than most of the squad so he isn’t going to Germany just to join in their banter etc. does he not also have quite a young family?  He’s also far more likely than Kelly to be able to make some dosh doing tv or radio punditry if he isn’t there.

I think he might go anyway as a non playing travelling member and if one of the 3 does get injured he will be on hand. I believe you can call up another keeper during the tournament if one is injured.

I may be biased, but a Gordon who's played something like 7 matches is far better than a Kelly who has had a terrible season.

If Kelly hadn't been so bad for most of the season I think people (Hearts fans) wouldn't have been so bothered 

Feel for Gordon. 74 caps and fought back from a brutal injury to basically get retired from international football on the eve of a tournament. 

I get he's getting on, and I get he's not played a lot but Kelly has had a honking season and couldn't lace Gordon's boots. I'd also have thought his experience would be an asset in the dressing room.

Don't even get the argument that Kelly has lots of years ahead of him. He's about to accept a move that guarantees he wastes his peak years and is poor so would be out the squad as soon as a viable alternative comes along anyway.

Anyway it is what it is I guess and won't make much of an impact on the playing time anyone gets anyway but still feel it's a shame. If he had no intention of taking Gordon anyway just don't call him up or add him to a standby list.

If Souttar is the other to be cut it makes sense. We don't need 7 CH's in the squad and he's toiled with injury a lot recently (shock). 

Was always between him or Cooper I think.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Any chance Gordon might play the second half tomorrow night as a goodbye to the Hampden crowd? 

Give him the first 5 minutes and sub him off to an ovation Grosics style...

3 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

If Souttar is the other to be cut it makes sense. We don't need 7 CH's in the squad and he's toiled with injury a lot recently (shock). 

Was always between him or Cooper I think.

I don't think Cooper was ever under consideration to be dropped. He's been with the team from the very beginning. A bit of a grey man, he goes under the radar a lot with Scotland fans but I think he's quite an important part of the group. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't think Cooper was ever under consideration to be dropped. He's been with the team from the very beginning. A bit of a grey man, he goes under the radar a lot with Scotland fans but I think he's quite an important part of the group. 

Aye but he's also had lots of injuries and little football. If the other options were sharp he'd have been in bother.

Edited by Tony Wonder

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

The MLS is a joke joke of a league. The defending and goalkeeping is god awful.

Such a joke that Germany will now be the only team in our group without representation from that league?

I always thought that unless Gordon was seen as no. 1 or no. 2 then he would be dropped, there is no value having him as no. 3.  Whereas there is value in a guy with a future being part of the squad.  Liam Kelly moving to Rangers invalidates that a little, but Clarke seems to value loyalty.

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There's an awful amount of mouth froth over a guy in a position that in all likelihood will see zero minutes on the pitch. I really don't care who the 3rd choice keeper is.

I think Gordon's longevity has made people forget how much of a legend he is in national team terms. In 30 years of watching the national team I genuinely don't think I've seen anyone reach the performance levels that Gordon did in 2006-2008. He's a bona fide Scottish legend, and it was also a good story after all he's been through. That and the fact that he's a better keeper than Kelly. 

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

I always thought that unless Gordon was seen as no. 1 or no. 2 then he would be dropped, there is no value having him as no. 3.  Whereas there is value in a guy with a future being part of the squad.  Liam Kelly moving to Rangers invalidates that a little, but Clarke seems to value loyalty.

I think you really have to stretch things to say there’s a value in having Liam Kelly as number three tbh. 

He chucks things in his net constantly whenever you watch him - there are other Scottish keepers who could fill the number three role who are also relatively shit if we needed to in the future. 

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

If Liam Kelly is part of Scotland's goalkeeping future we'd be as well shutting the team down now, save us all the hassle. 

He’s not 

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

No sure loyalty comes into it or surely Gordon would be due some as well? Done far more for Clarke than Kelly ever has.

If a player scores a hat-trick in a match involving Busquets, Alba and Messi, it's safe to say that he has something about him.

(I don't care what age they age those three are. All three could still walk into any EPL team)

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago watching Scotland u21 vs Netherlands u21s. It was Lewis Morgan against Denzel Dumfries.

Morgan spent 90 minutes turning Dumfries into a human pretzel. Dumfries was almost in tears at the end of the match.

I haven't watched Morgan in the MLS (Because I assumed that Clarke would never call him up) but I know he's a good player. He's a player who has a bit of McFadden about him.