Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

On 25/12/2023 at 20:20, stuart87 said:

Is there anyone only travelling over for the Hungary game? If we had qualified for France 2016, I would be over for as long as were in the tournament but now mid 30s and 2 young kids complicates things. 

I’ve got a ticket for the Hungary game. Just trying to keep travel and accommodation as cheap as possible. I don’t want to miss out on experiencing this. 

Yes, mate. Having completely changed my plans when the draw was made me and the boy are going over for the last group game only. 

Birmingham to Stuttgart via Frankfurt. 21st-24th. Train from Frankfurt airport to Stuttgart Central included in the flight ticket from Lufthansa. 

Staying in a place called Renningen for the 3 nights, 20 mins direct train to Stuttgart. 

Just over £500, hand luggage only. Will obviously drive to Birmingham from Greenock. 

Flying Manchester to Frankfurt early doors on the 19th then it’ll be a train to Bonn from there and plenty of time to get to Cologne for the Switzerland game. Might try and make plans to be in Stuttgart for the Hungary game but I’m flying back on the 24th so it might not be worth it. Didn’t get any tickets so I’ll probably just spend my days in fan zones if they’re easy enough to get tickets for. Heading across on my own too so thankfully I can just do what I want and float around wherever for a few days. 

15 hours ago, Aidan said:

Flying Manchester to Frankfurt early doors on the 19th then it’ll be a train to Bonn from there and plenty of time to get to Cologne for the Switzerland game. Might try and make plans to be in Stuttgart for the Hungary game but I’m flying back on the 24th so it might not be worth it. Didn’t get any tickets so I’ll probably just spend my days in fan zones if they’re easy enough to get tickets for. Heading across on my own too so thankfully I can just do what I want and float around wherever for a few days. 

Fan zones are open to everyone bud. No tickets required. 

On 12/12/2023 at 16:35, alonso said:

Flying into Dusseldorf the day before the Swiss game and back the day after, was planning booking 2 nights (Tuesday and wed night) accommodation in Dusseldorf but any idea how easy it will be to get back to Dusseldorf after the game finishes given how late it will be when the match finishes? 

And any thoughts on an area in Dusseldorf to stay relatively handy for the train journeys and airport?

Sorry I know this was posted a while ago but that's similar to what I'm doing. Staying near Dusseldorf Airport. Trains should be easy between the two cities, and it looks like some go straight through to the airport from Cologne, so I banked on that and a short journey to the airport with a hangover, rather than anything complicated the morning after the big night!

The FAQs on the discounted InterRail pass aren't clear, so I emailed InterRail as instructed by Uefa. InterRail don't understand them either!

Hi

If I buy a 10 day flexi pass will I be able to use it on any days I like within the period June 9th to July 21st, like a normal InterRail pass, or only to and from matches that I have a ticket for?

Best regards

welshbairn

Dear welshbairn,

Thank you for reaching out!

In partnership with Deutsche Bahn and UEFA EURO 2024, Interrail Passes will be available at a special discount enabling you to travel to and from 32 countries to Germany. Sales are set to kick off on January 17, 2024. Unfortunately, this is the only information we have at the moment. More information on how to purchase the discounted Passes will be announced in advance via UEFA's platforms and information channels: https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/?articleid=0287-197adda1d6aa-e26ad48c0b03-1000 . About the exact usage conditions and possible restrictions we'll know more once the discount is live. Therefore, please contact us again in a few weeks! 
Best regards,

Lara

Sleeper trains are making a huge comeback in mainland Europe.Tgv are doing a Paris to various cities and just today a New Berlin to Paris launched with Austrian railways 

Paris still cheap to fly into 😉

12 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm asking on behalf of someone else, but does anyone know of any TA buses, or buses in general, that are leaving the Fife/Central Belt area that are going over?

Not really what they're looking for, but some other options here.

https://book.wonkysheep.co.uk/category/scotland-fan-travel-1682678847230x161380450754887680

I've seen some flights that involve a 2-hour window to 'self transfer' (i.e. get through passport control, check back in and back through security).

Is 2 hours enough to do all that if I'm not checking in / collecting any baggage?

40 minutes ago, beesher said:

I've seen some flights that involve a 2-hour window to 'self transfer' (i.e. get through passport control, check back in and back through security).

Is 2 hours enough to do all that if I'm not checking in / collecting any baggage?

Two hours would be my minimum. Should be fine provided everything runs smoothly, but does it ever?

17 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm asking on behalf of someone else, but does anyone know of any TA buses, or buses in general, that are leaving the Fife/Central Belt area that are going over?

I think Club 100 Tartan Army Motherwell are doing one to Munich. - i remember seeing it advertised on one of the Tartan Army facebook groups not long after the draw. 

I looked at organising one for the Dunfermline TA end of last summer, but it was looking around 10/11k for an out and back for one match, plus hotels and expenses for the driver(s), but a lot of folk were intending staying out for a few games, so couldnt make it work. 

For those looking at trains, the super saver tickets came on over the Christmas period. some of the ICE trains were bookable for 10-15 euros. Just mind add a 5 euro seat reservation on. Alternatively, if you travel in a group of 5+ you get a free group seating reservation. Managed to get all our trains booked out and back for the 3 matches from our base in Frankfurt for under 150£ per person. 

If you have a match ticket, you'll be able to book the 30/40 euro one way special fares when they open up late Jan. You need a match ticket to do this though, as this will act in place of a rail card, and theres specific timings when you have to use them. IE match day and early hours of the next morning. Your journey needs to be completed by 10am the morning after the match. 

Travelling to the matches of the European Football Championship 2024 with the DB Ticket Euro 2024 (bahn.de)

Remember as well, if you have a match ticket, on the day local transport is included with that. 

18 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

21 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

I think Club 100 Tartan Army Motherwell are doing one to Munich. - i remember seeing it advertised on one of the Tartan Army facebook groups not long after the draw. 

image.png.6861a81f3f0390168e3a5749c609180c.png

14 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

For those looking at trains, the super saver tickets came on over the Christmas period. some of the ICE trains were bookable for 10-15 euros. Just mind add a 5 euro seat reservation on.

I forgot to reserve seats on our train to Frankfurt airport in the morning after the Hungary game. Is that likely to be an issue? I’ve seen a few mentions now of it being a good idea to reserve seats. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

I forgot to reserve seats on our train to Frankfurt airport in the morning after the Hungary game. Is that likely to be an issue? I’ve seen a few mentions now of it being a good idea to reserve seats. 

you can go back in and add to your booking for 5 euro. - depends how long the train is if you dont mind standing! 

Just now, Scosha said:

You probably won't need to but you can reserve seats independently from buying tickets on the DB site.

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

you can go back in and add to your booking for 5 euro. - depends how long the train is if you dont mind standing! 

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You probably won't need to but you can reserve seats independently from buying tickets on the DB site.

Sorted, cheers! 1hr 15min journey.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

image.png.6861a81f3f0390168e3a5749c609180c.png

Anyone know how they are crossing over to the continent?

I will be on the Newcastle-Amsterdam overnight ferry on the 12th.

Hopefully a few others travelling for the football on it as well! 🍻🥳