Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

12 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’ll stay in a brothel to save money if needs be but I draw the line at sharing accommodation with England fans.

They don't play in Cologne till 6 days after our game, so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem.

I got an email from DB yesterday that looked like your standard promotional bumf, but when I translated it said that they were going to close down my account unless I logged in. Just a heads up, I just logged in and checked my reservations were still there.

image.png.18da2d48c6332ebd26382331d22a8fd5.png

I just bought the DB pass but unfortunately it would not let me buy one in mates name and he is on holiday with sh!tty Internet connection so have to wait until he gets home.

It looks like we will only need a train to Cologne from Stuttgart and returning to Stuttgart next day.  But prices for us two on train are mental. 

A Flixbus Stuttgart-Munich is only £16 with your seat booked!

So if anybody has two seats going Stuttgart-Cologne and either returning after game or next day we would be interested.  DM me.if 

1 hour ago, Sugar_Army said:

I just bought the DB pass but unfortunately it would not let me buy one in mates name and he is on holiday with sh!tty Internet connection so have to wait until he gets home.

It looks like we will only need a train to Cologne from Stuttgart and returning to Stuttgart next day.  But prices for us two on train are mental. 

So if anybody has two seats going Stuttgart-Cologne and either returning after game or next day we would be interested.  DM me.if 

What kind of DB pass have you got? I did see you can get Flix tickets from Stuttgart airport to Cologne airport and back for a reasonable price, don't know what getting to and from the airports is like and the ones I saw were very early in the morning. Also some from Kornwestheim near Stuttgart. Don't know if splitting train tickets would be cheaper, say Stuttgart -Frankfurt-Cologne, or if you could do the whole journey by connecting regional trains. I see there are still loads of the match ticket holders discounted  tickets going, maybe worth waiting to see if the Fans Pass is actually checked or if you could get away with a screenshot. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Sugar_Army said:

Did you get the Bahn25 trial card?

34 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Did you get the Bahn25 trial card?

Looks worth it just for that return journey if he hasn't, the alternatives to a fast train sound horrible.

Edited by welshbairn

I got the Bahn card pass 2, but as I said, unfortunately my mate has not yet (Thursday), so until he comes back and gets one I cannot book anything.

I looked at the Flixbus for Cologne as we at 10 mins from the airport in Stuttgart (dinna ask, my mate panicked and booked it when the draw was made) but think it can take 5hrs as opposed to 3 by train.  But it is £30 return as opposed to about £100-£150.

See what he says.  5hrs and saving £100 each would be worth it.  I backpack a lot so roughing it is no issue for me.  I did 25hrs on a train in China which you could not get off and a truck in Africa which took 22hrs!

Edited by Sugar_Army

13 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

I got the Bahn card pass 2, but as I said, unfortunately my mate has not yet (Thursday), so until he comes back and gets one I cannot book anything.

I looked at the Flixbus for Cologne as we at 10 mins from the airport in Stuttgart (dinna ask, my mate panicked and booked it when the draw was made) but think it can take 5hrs as opposed to 3 by train.  But it is £30 return as opposed to about £100-£150.

See what he says.  5hrs and saving £100 each would be worth it.  I backpack a lot so roughing it is no issue for me.  I did 25hrs on a train in China which you could not get off and a truck in Africa which took 22hrs!

Excuse an England fan butting in, and I assume this journey is in connection with the Switzerland game on the 19th, but have you looked at the link that gives you the €29.90 Euro 2024 fares. 

I just did a search and there are plenty of options on the 19th and 20th June with those fares available. 

You have to use this link though...

https://int.bahn.de/en/buchung/start?intern=1&corid=3e382084-6e47-44a2-a6f5-7287a3b721fe_c0665b58-b9af-441a-b414-66164f6a89f4#?et=EM2024?

rather than the standard Deutsche Bahn website or app to get them.

Think that is only for people with match tickets.  Not sure I will chance it not having any.  .

When I have been on my travels there always seem to be somebody inspecting your tickets.  In Japan is was a train decked In livery inside and out...in Hello Kitty!

20230430_082257.jpg

20230430_082050.jpg

20230430_085646.jpg

Edited by Sugar_Army

No probs.  Just going for the party.

Happy to buy 2 tickets for any Scoland games (only at a reasonable price) but not of out 14 of our applications got lucky in any of the 3 ballots.

Stupidly I gave up my Scotland travel membership a couple of years ago (due to various circumstances), I had it since 1995.

Them that have tickets are the lucky ones.  Could stay home and save a fortune but for Scotland fans big tournaments do not come around often enough. 

I was lucky enough to get to Euro 96 and World Cup 98 and those memories still live on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked some of my trip.

Based in Stuttgart with my mate.

Stuttgart to Munich is by Flixbus on day of game.  Fanzone for game.  Overnight in Munich In an Airbnb.

Then going Munich to Zurich by Flixbus in time for Swiss kicking off and other games in a fanzone/pub there.  Overnight in Zurich in AirBnB.  Walking Tour of Zurich then Flixbus to Stuttgart.

Train to Cologne using DB ticket on day of game.  Fanzone.  AirBnB that night.  Walking Tour next day then train back to Stuttgart in time for some of the games.

Stuttgart fanzone for game. 

We will pad out other things but as long as the main things are sorted.  Will wait until a few days to go is case I need any more trains before I cancel my DB ticket.

I have given up a few Airbnb's for the night of the games in Munich and Cologne if anybody is interested. 

They are just a double bed in a room.  About £108 for two people in a bed.  They knew it was two hairy arsed Scotsmen coming and they were OK with it.

Ps.  Thanks to Arch Stanton and Welshbain for their advice.

Edited by Sugar_Army

Duisburg for me and my mate. 35 minute train to Cologne for the Swiss game (only out for this game). Had originally booked a dirt cheap hotel. The reviews had been giving me the fear for a while now though, so had a wee look yesterday and managed to find a much nicer looking/reviewed hotel for only 75 pound a night. Delighted with that considering how close were are getting to the tournament! Must have been cancellations because never saw it originally.

Sorry to be a pain but can’t seem to get my head round this. I’ll be based in Essen for matches two and three. Will my match ticket get me train travel to Cologne for match two? I’m assuming I’ll have to book a train for match three in Stuttgart. 

7 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Sorry to be a pain but can’t seem to get my head round this. I’ll be based in Essen for matches two and three. Will my match ticket get me train travel to Cologne for match two? I’m assuming I’ll have to book a train for match three in Stuttgart. 

Essen - Cologne, you can travel for free if you hold a match ticket within the VRR and VRS zones on the map. Valid 6am matchday to 6pm following day on regional trains only.

Essen - Stuttgart, you should buy a ticket in advance, you won’t be covered with your match ticket.

IMG_2225.thumb.jpeg.f59dc346cd9292ed28c10bdff9015306.jpeg