Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

7 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

we’re not in Munich until 2130 

had a quick google, sbahn yes ubahn no 

will most probably stay about garching for a few and not to f**k it tomorrow (maybe) 

If I don't see you tonight we'll likely bump into each other tomorrow, plenty bars and restaurants about here. What hotel are you staying at? 

50 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Motel one 

You're about half an hour's walk from the centre of Garching so I'd imagine you'll be about ready to crash when you get to motel one. Quite busy here but locals only so far. 

29 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Has anyway flew into Dusseldorf Weeze? Arrive there tomorrow morning then onward to Cologne. Have heard mixed things about how easy it is to get to a train station from there!

Few years since I flew in there, but sure we got a shuttle bus to the train station which was all of about ten minutes. 

Anyone doing the train back to Frankfurt after the match on Wednesday?

Just got tickets today (nice surprise with an email from UEFA) and it looks like transport there is easy enough but a bit of a nightmare coming back with the trains listed as full and unavailable to book (although one at a huge markup which they've invalidated the travel discount for).

Any idea of any buses or if we've got good odds of just cramming on the train anyway?

In Dortmund now. Train to cologne tomorrow morning. Am I right in saying it’ll be free with my fan pass if I get on a regional train (not an ICE) to cologne (I have a match ticket for tomorrow night)? 

25 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

In Dortmund now. Train to cologne tomorrow morning. Am I right in saying it’ll be free with my fan pass if I get on a regional train (not an ICE) to cologne (I have a match ticket for tomorrow night)? 

Yes it will be.

Your Fanpass will update to show what transport regions are covered by the 36 hour free travel.

Another question. Staying in Cologne until Friday where we’ll get a train from cologne to Frankfurt. Then on to Stuttgart on Saturday. Can I use the €29 ticket to go between cologne and Frankfurt even though I don’t have a match ticket in Frankfurt? I do have one in cologne so would that fall under the “travelling from” the venue? 

12 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Another question. Staying in Cologne until Friday where we’ll get a train from cologne to Frankfurt. Then on to Stuttgart on Saturday. Can I use the €29 ticket to go between cologne and Frankfurt even though I don’t have a match ticket in Frankfurt? I do have one in cologne so would that fall under the “travelling from” the venue? 

That sounds like that could be a good way to get yourself a fine as the €29 tickets are meant for ticket holders going to a venue city etc

If you've got a Deutschland ticket or even if you don't then the regional trains would be fine for a short hop like Köln -> Frankfurt

7 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

That sounds like that could be a good way to get yourself a fine as the €29 tickets are meant for ticket holders going to a venue city etc

If you've got a Deutschland ticket or even if you don't then the regional trains would be fine for a short hop like Köln -> Frankfurt

Thanks, I thought since I had a match ticket for cologne it would count as a journey “away” from a venue but you could well be right 

On 18/06/2024 at 13:21, bairn88 said:

If you're travelling from Cologne on the Friday then no. Your return journey needs to be completed by 10am the day after the match you have the ticket for. 

3 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

If you're travelling from Cologne on the Friday then no. Your return journey needs to be completed by 10am the day after the match you have the ticket for. 

Think that’s for local connections, as opposed to the inter city trains - I hope so anyway. 

Yeah, I've just re-read that section on the DB website and it seems like it might be valid any day. I do know people who did Munich to Cologne on the Sunday and they were fine.

Not suggesting anyone risks it but I did Cologne to Stuttgart and back in a day, both with a connection at Frankfurt airport, and didn't get my ticket checked any of the 4 trains. 

We got tickets inspected on 1 out of 3 trains from London to Munich but I still wouldn't risk the fine. Also forgot to validate the u bahn ticket in machine before travelling locally before the fan pass kicked in. 

Will need to remember that for Stuttgart

Aye it can be a bit random. More likely on your long distance trains but also had mixed experiences with ticket checks. 

Once hid in the toilet between Dusseldorf to Cologne on a late ICE as the regional were goosed, didn't fancy paying the 60 odd euros they wanted. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Aye it can be a bit random. More likely on your long distance trains but also had mixed experiences with ticket checks. 

Once hid in the toilet between Dusseldorf to Cologne on a late ICE as the regional were goosed, didn't fancy paying the 60 odd euros they wanted. 

Many years ago I got caught on the Munich U-bahn without a ticket and no money, so they made me sweep a platform. :lol:

P. S. On the same trip I jumped a tram to the BMW factory to apply for a job (The guy asked me if I spoke German and I said Jawohl and tried but failed to guess ja or nein to the following questions, and got told there were no vacancies at this time) and an elderly woman pointed out the ticket machine. I showed her my empty pockets and she gave me some change for the fare. I was thinking I could buy a roll with it and brazened it out till my stop. Absolute daggers from everyone on the tram.. 

Edited by welshbairn