Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

On 17/11/2023 at 01:09, Doonhame Buddie said:

Got tickets for Stuttgart 23/6 and Frankfurt 1/7. Booked accommodation in Ulm - nice part of the country and train travel in Germany is a dawdle, puts our tinpot trains to shame. Thinking of eurostaring from St Pancreas. Long trip but we prefer train to plane. 

By the time you factor in check in, customs etc there's probably not that much in it.

Unless of course you need to travel to London first and factor that in!

2 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

Thinking about getting the train or a lift to Newcastle, then getting the boat overnight across to Holland and then train to Amsterdam and then onto the Rhine Valley area, how doable is this going to be, or should I just bite the bullet and book a flight across?

Definitely do-able. There's a Germany family that live near me who do something very similar to this to get themselves home (with their own car all the way though)

I haven't seen the current prices, but I doubt you'd be saving money taking the Bergkamp route rather than flying, especially when you factor in feeding and watering yourself along the way.

It will be interesting to see how much discount they're offering on an InterRail pass.

Match ticket holders who wish to travel within Germany can purchase discounted national long-distance tickets for their round trip via Deutsche Bahn. For match ticket holders travelling from outside of Germany, a discounted EURO 2024 InterRail pass will be available. This will be valid for a round trip from 32 European countries to Germany, and also unlimited national journeys using the Deutsche Bahn long-distance service.

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/0282-183ccb32ffb8-3dc57a869207-1000--deutsche-bahn-unveiled-as-national-partner-for-uefa-euro/

11 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

I haven't seen the current prices, but I doubt you'd be saving money taking the Bergkamp route rather than flying, especially when you factor in feeding and watering yourself along the way.

£200 per person for a return from Newcastle to Ijmuiden with a basic cabin and no car, no idea what flight prices will be like but that doesn't seem too bad, especially considering that flight prices will shoot up after the draw.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It will be interesting to see how much discount they're offering on an InterRail pass.

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/0282-183ccb32ffb8-3dc57a869207-1000--deutsche-bahn-unveiled-as-national-partner-for-uefa-euro/

It’s seemingly for match ticket holders only which may exclude a few.

Rest of my group are still saying to hold off so decided to just go ahead and book some accommodation with free cancellation and not tell them. 13 nights in a hotel by Frankfurt Station worked out at around £55 per night, per person. Not the greatest, but we’ve left it so long that it’s the best we’ll get. Will have a look at booking in other cities today. I’ll be smug as f**k if I end up correct. 

Had a look at one-way flights yesterday too, out of interest, and there were still a few that were cheap-ish, although none of them direct. Leaving from Edinburgh on the 14th, you can still get to Düsseldorf, Karslruhe and Menningen for under £100. A couple of flights to Berlin on the same day were just over at £104 or something. 

On 26/11/2023 at 08:17, PSJ.84 said:

Rest of my group are still saying to hold off so decided to just go ahead and book some accommodation with free cancellation and not tell them. 13 nights in a hotel by Frankfurt Station worked out at around £55 per night, per person. Not the greatest, but we’ve left it so long that it’s the best we’ll get. Will have a look at booking in other cities today. I’ll be smug as f**k if I end up correct. 

Had a look at one-way flights yesterday too, out of interest, and there were still a few that were cheap-ish, although none of them direct. Leaving from Edinburgh on the 14th, you can still get to Düsseldorf, Karslruhe and Menningen for under £100. A couple of flights to Berlin on the same day were just over at £104 or something. 

There's still some accommodation in Berlin, but near frankfurt main station I'd be packing some tools to keep on your person 😅

41 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

One of @PSJ.84's mates is going to develop a cracking heroin habit if they stay near Frankfurt Hbf for 13 nights.

On the plus side if he takes a few baggies with him from home it could subsidise the huge cost of tickets! 

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

One of @PSJ.84's mates is going to develop a cracking heroin habit if they stay near Frankfurt Hbf for 13 nights.

🤣🤣

Booked places in Hannover and Mannheim as well for this very reason. Far cheaper, obviously. Leaving it for the rest of them to decide when the draw is made. Just hoping we’re drawn in Group B, D or F so the place in Frankfurt isn’t an option. 

2 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

There's still some accommodation in Berlin, but near frankfurt main station I'd be packing some tools to keep on your person 😅

Good chance I’ll end up cancelling everything I’ve booked anyway, was basically just to cover our arses in case prices properly shoot up once the draw is made. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Good chance I’ll end up cancelling everything I’ve booked anyway, was basically just to cover our arses in case prices properly shoot up once the draw is made. 

I didn't find Frankfurt as dodgy as others are saying, maybe they were unlucky.

Planning to book accommodation this week before the draw. Thinking about booking Essen to cover the Rhine area, Magdeburg or Hanover to cover Berlin, Hamburg, and Leipzig, then either Mannheim or Nuremberg to cover Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich. Planning to cover the whole group stage.

Have never done this before so does anyone with more experience think that this would work OK?

38 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Planning to book accommodation this week before the draw. Thinking about booking Essen to cover the Rhine area, Magdeburg or Hanover to cover Berlin, Hamburg, and Leipzig, then either Mannheim or Nuremberg to cover Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich. Planning to cover the whole group stage.

Have never done this before so does anyone with more experience think that this would work OK?

Maybe consider Würzburg for the Frankfurt, Stuttgart Munich part.