Unusual scorelines

ICTChris

On 22/10/2023 at 09:36, ICTChris said:

I think County beat Civil service Strollers 8-0 in the cup that season as well?

Edited - They beat St Cuthburts Wanderers 11-0.

Late to the party here, but there's cracking highlights of this game on YouTube

Edited by Cyclizine

On 28/10/2023 at 00:50, craigkillie said:

If we look just at specifically unique scorelines, there have been eight scorelines which have been recorded exactly once in a Scottish League fixture (assuming we treat 2-0 the same as 0-2 etc).

• Stenhousemuir 7-6 Dunfermline Athletic (15th April 1950)
  • Dundee United 9-6 Edinburgh City (28th November 1934)
  • Celtic 11-0 Dundee (26th October 1895)
  • King's Park 11-3 Forfar Athletic (8th October 1938)
  • King's Park 12-2 Forfar Athletic (2nd January 1930)
  • Partick Thistle 13-1 Thistle (10th March 1894)
  • East Fife 13-2 Edinburgh City (11th December 1937)
  • Airdrieonians 15-1 Dundee Wanderers (1st December 1894)

I've attached a very basic table which shows the frequency of every scoreline in Scottish League history, complete up to the end of last season. There haven't been any particularly weird ones of note so far this season so it'll just be all of those already big numbers getting a tiny bit bigger.

It feels like it could be a very long time before any more gaps are filled in - perhaps 12-0 is the most likely one to happen, it doesn't seem entirely impossible Celtic or Rangers could scud someone like that - Celtic could have probably done it to Dundee United in that game last season, for example. Otherwise, a completely daft 7-7, 8-6, 8-7 or 9-5 in a lower league game at some point maybe.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 00.46.02.png

Dumbarton defeated Stranraer 10-3 in a League Cup sectional tie on August 24th 1957, with Quinn scoring a hat-trick for the visitors.  This was a week after the Sons were gubbed 7-1 at Shawfield, and two after Stranraer had beaten them 3-1 at Stair Park.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of unusual score lines scattered through my times of following QOS. Some of them mentioned by others previously in the thread.

1969 A 7-5 loss away to Falkirk.

1971 A 5-4 loss at home to East Stirling. More notable in that the Shire keeper George Wood scored with a kick out from his own area rather than for the score per se.

1973. 5-5 draw away to Stranraer in New Years Day game.

1983. 6-3 win at home to Stranraer.

1984 6-3 loss away to Arbroath.

1985 6-4 cup win away to Stranraer.

1991. 7-4 win away to Montrose in B&Q Cup. Again this was after extra time though.

1993 8-3 loss at Forfar in Scottish Cup.

2002 6-5 home win v Morton.

There may well be others, certainly quite a few more 5-4 games but I guess given that it's not that unusual a score.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The biggest scoreline I've seen was Meadowbank Thistle 22 AVU Amateurs 0 in a pre-season warm up game on a back pitch at Civil Service Strollers. 

Hibs Ladies beat Kilmarnock 19-0 home and away one season. In the away match Hibs got a last minute penalty which Laura Kennedy put wide. She told me she couldn't be arsed scoring it. I think Glasgow City put 24 goals past luckless Killie in a match that season. 

On 28/10/2023 at 00:50, craigkillie said:

If we look just at specifically unique scorelines, there have been eight scorelines which have been recorded exactly once in a Scottish League fixture (assuming we treat 2-0 the same as 0-2 etc).

• Stenhousemuir 7-6 Dunfermline Athletic (15th April 1950)
  • Dundee United 9-6 Edinburgh City (28th November 1934)
  • Celtic 11-0 Dundee (26th October 1895)
  • King's Park 11-3 Forfar Athletic (8th October 1938)
  • King's Park 12-2 Forfar Athletic (2nd January 1930)
  • Partick Thistle 13-1 Thistle (10th March 1894)
  • East Fife 13-2 Edinburgh City (11th December 1937)
  • Airdrieonians 15-1 Dundee Wanderers (1st December 1894)

I've attached a very basic table which shows the frequency of every scoreline in Scottish League history, complete up to the end of last season. There haven't been any particularly weird ones of note so far this season so it'll just be all of those already big numbers getting a tiny bit bigger.

It feels like it could be a very long time before any more gaps are filled in - perhaps 12-0 is the most likely one to happen, it doesn't seem entirely impossible Celtic or Rangers could scud someone like that - Celtic could have probably done it to Dundee United in that game last season, for example. Otherwise, a completely daft 7-7, 8-6, 8-7 or 9-5 in a lower league game at some point maybe.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 00.46.02.png

This sort of thing totally floats my stats boat.

How easy would it be to produce a table for a particular club? I’d be curious to see how it breaks down for Queens.

5 hours ago, Adamski said:

This sort of thing totally floats my stats boat.

How easy would it be to produce a table for a particular club? I’d be curious to see how it breaks down for Queens.

It's easy enough - here it is for Queens up to the end of last season - league matches only.

Queens.thumb.png.20073324aef06b5ebae646b95a73475b.png

Edited by craigkillie

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's easy enough - here it is for Queens up to the end of last season - league matches only.

Queens.thumb.png.20073324aef06b5ebae646b95a73475b.png

Thanks! That was interesting to look at, and to mull over which of the more rare ones I was at.

Off the top of my head I’ve seen Queens win 6-0 (Arbroath, Livingston), 6-1 (Arbroath), and 7-1 (Clyde). I also remember some pumpings at the hands of Alloa (0-7 and 1-6) and Stirling (0-7). The 6-5 v Morton is my only unique one though.

Edited by Adamski

On 30/11/2023 at 15:51, Cyclizine said:

Late to the party here, but there's cracking highlights of this game on YouTube

Is it sad that I know more of these County players than the current crop?! Think I'm up to 8 or 9 so far. Was it this cup run that eventually ended with a wee hiding from Raith Rovers? 

15 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I was at Bairns 7 QOS 1 in 1989.

Reminds of one I missed from my personal Queens Hall of Shame earlier: Queens 0 Kilmarnock 6 the following week. Five goals for Willie Watters (until fairly recently the only time I’d seen a player do that), and Killie fans on the pitch celebrating thinking they’d stayed up until Clyde popped them with a late goal.

That Queens team was terrible: proper darkest Harkness era stuff. And that was before they really chucked it over the past couple of weeks of the season.

• 2 months later...

Scottish Cup has some goodies, leaving aside the 35-0 and 36-0...

Queen of the South Wanderers 7–7 5th KRV (1883, h-t 5–5)

Alpha (Motherwell) 6–8 Cambuslang Hibs (1885, h-t 3–5)

Mid-Annandale 16–1 Rising Thistle (1890)

Lochgelly Amateurs 3–13 Hearts (1931, slight cheat as Lochgelly switched the tie to Tynecastle)

Johnstone 20–1 Greenock Abstainers (1891)