Unusual scorelines

ICTChris

On 22/10/2023 at 08:12, ICTChris said:

I saw on Twitter that a game in the Czech top flight ended in a 9-5 away win.

062A072A-7C9E-4F73-8410-85454724E9CE.thumb.png.f3e290170873684ea449bcf96b989a4a.png

Imagine being 3-1 up just after half time and losing 9-5. 

This must be a pretty unique score line. What are the most unique scorelines in Scottish football?

For Caley we beat Ayr Utd 7-3 in the early 2000s, don’t recall seeing that too many times. Of course a few years back we had Accies 10 Morton 2 which is only one of two double figures scoreline I can recall in Scottish football, I think Albion Rivers lost 10-1 to someone back in the 1980s. Edited- Partick beat Albion 11-1 in the league cup in 1993, I just looked it up.

I remember pre merger Caley beating Golspie Sutherland 16-0 in a cup game, I’m sure non-league has loads of big scorelines though.

Do you mean high scoring matches from recent years, because Scottish football is resplendent in big scores going way back.

On 22/10/2023 at 08:12, ICTChris said:

For Caley we beat Ayr Utd 7-3 in the early 2000s, don’t recall seeing that too many times. Of course a few years back we had Accies 10 Morton 2 which is only one of two double figures scoreline I can recall in Scottish football, I think Albion Rivers lost 10-1 to someone back in the 1980s. Edited- Partick beat Albion 11-1 in the league cup in 1993, I just looked it up.

Did Hearts not put 10 past Cowdenbeath a few years back in the championship. Can't remember if Cowden scored in that game.

Edit - looked it up. Finished 10-0. Shite day for the Blue Brazil. 

Edited by AuAl

I am astounded that we have got this far without "St Johnstone/Ross County/Edinburgh/Clyde/Elgin etc beat whoever recently. Them winning is a very unusual scoreline". 

Well done P&B

Peterhead 8 Forfar 0.  Forfar wanted the game postponed due to an injury/flu crises.  They were forced to play the game and ended up with only 9 on the park after 2 sending-offs.  30th September 2006.

Peterhead 9 Berwick 2 - Neale Cooper's first game in charge.

Edited by strichener

Guest DannyBlue

Two at Fir Park classics: Motherwell 5 Aberdeen 6 and Motherwell 6 Hibs 6.

For games I've seen in person just on Sunday, I saw Hibs women beat Hamilton 8-1. As for the men I've seen Hibs draw 5-5 with Rangers and beat Montrose 9-0.

If we look just at specifically unique scorelines, there have been eight scorelines which have been recorded exactly once in a Scottish League fixture (assuming we treat 2-0 the same as 0-2 etc).

• Stenhousemuir 7-6 Dunfermline Athletic (15th April 1950)
  • Dundee United 9-6 Edinburgh City (28th November 1934)
  • Celtic 11-0 Dundee (26th October 1895)
  • King's Park 11-3 Forfar Athletic (8th October 1938)
  • King's Park 12-2 Forfar Athletic (2nd January 1930)
  • Partick Thistle 13-1 Thistle (10th March 1894)
  • East Fife 13-2 Edinburgh City (11th December 1937)
  • Airdrieonians 15-1 Dundee Wanderers (1st December 1894)

I've attached a very basic table which shows the frequency of every scoreline in Scottish League history, complete up to the end of last season. There haven't been any particularly weird ones of note so far this season so it'll just be all of those already big numbers getting a tiny bit bigger.

It feels like it could be a very long time before any more gaps are filled in - perhaps 12-0 is the most likely one to happen, it doesn't seem entirely impossible Celtic or Rangers could scud someone like that - Celtic could have probably done it to Dundee United in that game last season, for example. Otherwise, a completely daft 7-7, 8-6, 8-7 or 9-5 in a lower league game at some point maybe.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 00.46.02.png

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

If we look just at specifically unique scorelines, there have been eight scorelines which have been recorded exactly once in a Scottish League fixture (assuming we treat 2-0 the same as 0-2 etc).

• Stenhousemuir 7-6 Dunfermline Athletic (15th April 1950)
  • Dundee United 9-6 Edinburgh City (28th November 1934)
  • Celtic 11-0 Dundee (26th October 1895)
  • King's Park 11-3 Forfar Athletic (8th October 1938)
  • King's Park 12-2 Forfar Athletic (2nd January 1930)
  • Partick Thistle 13-1 Thistle (10th March 1894)
  • East Fife 13-2 Edinburgh City (11th December 1937)
  • Airdrieonians 15-1 Dundee Wanderers (1st December 1894)

I've attached a very basic table which shows the frequency of every scoreline in Scottish League history, complete up to the end of last season. There haven't been any particularly weird ones of note so far this season so it'll just be all of those already big numbers getting a tiny bit bigger.

It feels like it could be a very long time before any more gaps are filled in - perhaps 12-0 is the most likely one to happen, it doesn't seem entirely impossible Celtic or Rangers could scud someone like that - Celtic could have probably done it to Dundee United in that game last season, for example. Otherwise, a completely daft 7-7, 8-6, 8-7 or 9-5 in a lower league game at some point maybe.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 00.46.02.png

I recall years ago a work colleague told me that 2-1 was the most common scoreline in football. I only semi believed him at the time (I thought it would be 1-0) but this proves the old bugger was right.

On 26/10/2023 at 08:42, AuAl said:

Did Hearts not put 10 past Cowdenbeath a few years back in the championship. Can't remember if Cowden scored in that game.

Edit - looked it up. Finished 10-0. Shite day for the Blue Brazil. 

I think Cowdenbeath managed to hold Rangers to a goalless draw the following week.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think Cowdenbeath managed to hold Rangers to a goalless draw the following week.

That was a mad season of Scottish 2nd tier football. Hearts, Hibs and Sevco 2012 in the league, as well as the likes of part time Cowdenbeath and Alloa. Also an excellent season for QOS I might add....

• 5 weeks later...

The original post I wanted to quote has been deleted but in our 87-88 top flight disaster we lost 7-0 (and 5-0) at Ibrox and lost 7-1 at home to Dundee (after scoring first). Also lost 9-3 to Dundee in the Tennent's sixes. Lost both home games against Celtic 4-0, with Frank McAvennie getting all four in the second game. In both 84-85 and 87-88 we conceded exactly 100 league goals.

A few years later we lost 7-1 at home to Clydebank - and inexplicably followed that up by beating leaders Dundee 3-0.

In the days before teams could have their entire reserves on the bench, we were leading St. Mirren 2-0 in a Ne'erday derby at Cappielow, before Saints' Donny McDowell and Morton keeper Jim Liddell were sent off in the first half. Jim Townsend and Barrie Evans had spells in goal that day - we lost 6-3 in the end.

One of the more memorable goalfests was Aberdeen at home in the league cup in 1996. We were 2-0 down and going nowhere, until we scored 3 goals in the last ten minutes to absolute bedlam in the Cowshed. Sadly, the Dons scored an injury time penalty and Dean Windass scored four in extra time for a 7-3 Aberdeen win.

We were 6-3 down at half time at QoS in 2001 having played facing into a storm (it was 4-1 after 20 minutes with a couple of Ton fans choosing to leave at that point). We scored twice in stoppage time to lose 6-5.

2003-04 (the season we blew it) was littered with goals until our forwards lost their way - with wins of 4-3, 5-2, 6-1, 6-4 (along with a 6-1 defeat in there).

We beat Forfar 9-1 in 2007.

Suffice to say, it's rarely dull watching us.

13 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

The original post I wanted to quote has been deleted but in our 87-88 top flight disaster we lost 7-0 (and 5-0) at Ibrox and lost 7-1 at home to Dundee (after scoring first). Also lost 9-3 to Dundee in the Tennent's sixes. Lost both home games against Celtic 4-0, with Frank McAvennie getting all four in the second game. In both 84-85 and 87-88 we conceded exactly 100 league goals.

A few years later we lost 7-1 at home to Clydebank - and inexplicably followed that up by beating leaders Dundee 3-0.

In the days before teams could have their entire reserves on the bench, we were leading St. Mirren 2-0 in a Ne'erday derby at Cappielow, before Saints' Donny McDowell and Morton keeper Jim Liddell were sent off in the first half. Jim Townsend and Barrie Evans had spells in goal that day - we lost 6-3 in the end.

One of the more memorable goalfests was Aberdeen at home in the league cup in 1996. We were 2-0 down and going nowhere, until we scored 3 goals in the last ten minutes to absolute bedlam in the Cowshed. Sadly, the Dons scored an injury time penalty and Dean Windass scored four in extra time for a 7-3 Aberdeen win.

We were 6-3 down at half time at QoS in 2001 having played facing into a storm (it was 4-1 after 20 minutes with a couple of Ton fans choosing to leave at that point). We scored twice in stoppage time to lose 6-5.

2003-04 (the season we blew it) was littered with goals until our forwards lost their way - with wins of 4-3, 5-2, 6-1, 6-4 (along with a 6-1 defeat in there).

We beat Forfar 9-1 in 2007.

Suffice to say, it's rarely dull watching us.

You also went to Hamilton on the last day of the league season once.

Did Hamilton not concede 11 goals in the top flight in 1965/66?*

Or was it in the League Cup to Hibs round about the same season?**

* Hibs 11 Hamilton 1, 6th November 1965, Division One

** Celtic 10 Hamilton 0, 11th September 1968 League Cup Quarter Final

ETA: Hibs 11 Alloa Athletic 2,  22nd September 1965  League Cup Quarter Final

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

On 28/11/2023 at 18:43, AyrshireTon said:

The pedant in me feels the need to point out that much as your 4th goal was late, it was in the 87th minute. Warren Hawke's 5th was in stoppage time though. Also the game was in February 2002. That game was the reason we signed Sean O'Connor shortly after.  Our official site match report is Here

Bizarre game on a Tuesday night which also featured Steve 'Bowser' Bowey making his 2nd appearance for us after signing in time for the weekend's win over Forfar. He hit the post in the 1st minute, with Joe McAlpine scoring the rebound, and then scored his first goal (our 3rd) after 16. He was superb that night. As you say, the weather was horrendous and back when we still had a grass pitch, it was generally expected to be postponed. I recall phoning to find out if it was still playable a couple of times during the afternoon as I was working out of Dumfries and needed to know whether to rush back for it. A lot of people probably didn't bother to come out of the house for it but they were the losers. The first half "rained" goals with Queens having the wind at their backs and racing 4-1 up in 18 minutes, being pegged back to 4-3 before scoring two more in the final two minutes of the half to turn round 6-3 up. The second half saw a wind assisted Morton dominate from the word go with Queens pretty much defending our penalty area. Our goal led a charmed life for most of it before Redmond smuggled home the loose ball at a corner with 3 minutes to go. Fortunately Hawke's 5th came just too late to put us under any serious pressure but it could easily have ended up higher scoring than it did and Morton could, and possibly should, have got something from the game.

One to tell the grandkids about!

Five big scores that I've witnessed.

Elgin City 11 Buckie Thistle 0

Aberdeen 10 KR Reyjavik 0

Aberdeen 9 Deverovale 2

Aberdeen 7 Airdrie 3*

Coleraine 8 Newry Town 0

* I could have sworn that finished 7-4