Euro 2024 tickets

Donathan

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No. I go to see the football. If I'm not in the ground I'll see more football in my house.

That’s my view as well. I’ll no doubt end up in a fans zone with my group on the days that we don’t have games but I would prefer to watch any game I’m not at on the tv in peace.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

ETA - However I’m not really 100% sure what UEFA could’ve done differently unless they were willing to hand sales over to individual football associations across the continent. I asked this in here after the last round of tickets but it would be interesting to know how it was handled in the pre-internet days. I would guess 96 is probably the last Euros before the internet fully took off in the UK.

The real crime is the approx 10,000 allocation to each team’s official fan base in 50,000+ capacity stadiums. A pitiful allocation. 

30 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

That’s my view as well. I’ll no doubt end up in a fans zone with my group on the days that we don’t have games but I would prefer to watch any game I’m not at on the tv in peace.

Ach it's different for everyone I suppose, I'm looking forward to a trip away with my mates. Reckon the atmosphere in the fan zone will be delightful. 

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I asked this in here after the last round of tickets but it would be interesting to know how it was handled in the pre-internet days. I would guess 96 is probably the last Euros before the internet fully took off in the UK.

Back in 1990 I was able to get tickets for the Scottish games as part of a package deal with AT Mays. I’m not sure how other sales of tickets were organised.
However back in those days you could also turn up at most top flight games in England and pay at the gate on the day (I was living in London at the time). I do remember getting tickets for the Scotland game at Wembley in 88 via an FA advert in the London Evening Standard. Totally different days back then. 

Just now, Dunfermline Don said:

Back in 1990 I was able to get tickets for the Scottish games as part of a package deal with AT Mays. I’m not sure how other sales of tickets were organised.
However back in those days you could also turn up at most top flight games in England and pay at the gate on the day (I was living in London at the time). I do remember getting tickets for the Scotland game at Wembley in 88 via an FA advert in the London Evening Standard. Totally different days back then. 

I got all my WC 1990 tickets for my mates and I from some dodgy looking office in London near Tottenham Court Rd. 

I sourced my WC 1998 opening game tickets from a French colleague. 

The others France WC matches I picked up from a tout outside the Alexandra palace. I was a bit more trusting back in those days. Or naive! 😂 

Euro 92 & 96 - can’t remember how I got those. Happy days. Health stops me going to this years tournament but I hope everyone has as much fun as we did all those years ago. 

Spain 82 must have been incredible.

USA WC94 was a tournament that I think the TA would have taken by storm. 

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That's patently false though too. There will be plenty of scammers out there, but also plenty of people who are genuinely trying to sell a ticket.

Provided they tell you they're a scammer, you'll be fine and you can avoid them.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Ach it's different for everyone I suppose, I'm looking forward to a trip away with my mates. Reckon the atmosphere in the fan zone will be delightful. 

Definitely everyone has their own view on what is enjoyable. I’m not really a big drinker or anything so things like a fan-zone (or watching in the pub) are already a bit of a turn-off for me.

However if I’m at the fan zone then as long as you can make out the screen I’ll be happy.

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

However I’m not really 100% sure what UEFA could’ve done differently unless they were willing to hand sales over to individual football associations across the continent. I asked this in here after the last round of tickets but it would be interesting to know how it was handled in the pre-internet days. I would guess 96 is probably the last Euros before the internet fully took off in the UK.

France 98 wasnt sold on the internet either.

Euro 96 the SSC (then known as STC) was nowhere near as big as it is now. Everybody got tickets for all our games. 

By WC 98 it was bigger than our allocation. You applied for tickets you wanted (by post) and then those over a certain points level got all 3 games, everyone else got one match allocated at random.

In both tournaments all member clubs got the right to buy two tickets per game too. That no longer happens for games away from Hampden.

The French organisers held a public sale too which was conducted by phone. You phoned, you got engaged, you hung up and tried again. I won the lottery on that and, after about an hour of trying, I got through and bagged 4 tickets each for our Norway and Morocco games. I got a Norway one from the SFA too. And I got the 2 ticket allocation from QoS for Brazil and Morocco. Six of us went. The other 5 all got Brazil tickets from the SFA so between us we managed to get 7 Brazil, 5 Norway and 6 Morocco. And somebody got another Norway somewhere so we got sorted out.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Provided they tell you they're a scammer, you'll be fine and you can avoid them.

What does this have to do with your nonsense assertion that you will have a 100% chance of getting scammed? There is a chance of getting scammed, but it's certainly nowhere near 100%.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I've bought black market tickets from different sources for several games in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, England and Scotland over the past 25 years and every time I've got my ticket. Once in Liverpool and once in Barcelona I was worried I was getting set up to get jumped but both times went absolutely fine. The actual secondary market in tickets must far exceed the scams.

Paying money up front for a ticket that needs to be transferred to you months later is obviously risky, but the agencies that deal in these have been around for a long time and sell a lot of tickets. If news got around that customers were getting scammed nobody would buy from them.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The French organisers held a public sale too which was conducted by phone. You phoned, you got engaged, you hung up and tried again. I won the lottery on that and, after about an hour of trying, I got through and bagged 4 tickets each for our Norway and Morocco games. 

Glad to hear someone actually got lucky with that, three of us phoned continuously for over 6 hours that day and got nothing.

Italy 1990 - we got tickets through someone my dad knew at the SFA, I think it was probably dodgy.

1996 - three of us phoning all day, no luck, but somehow a friend of my mum who lived in England had got through no bother and got tickets for the two games in Birmingham for us.

1998 - as above. Ended up buying 2 tickets outside the ground in St Etienne for about 80 quid each after hours of trying. We went to France for all the games but we were skint students so that was the only match we went to, for the others we were in the fan zones.

England game in 1999 - did the redial thing for hours, took a break, my mum's friend that worked for Glasgow City Council called and said everyone was getting tickets through the internal phone line and did I want any. Turned out that for several hours none of the public could get through because the phone system gave priority to internal calls.

The internet era is much, much better - although I'm sure that far more people apply because it's so easy. In the past you had to make an effort and dedicate some time, 

Best one I can remember from ticketing in the past is when travel agents were selling them alongside travel package deals for Italy '90.

You had to buy a book of tickets for five games, the three Scotland games plus two others, one of which was Sweden v Costa Rica which kicked off at the same time as Scotland v Brazil, which obviously wasn't much use.

The other ticket was for the 2nd round game in Genoa, which turned out to be Ireland v Romania, so plenty of unsuspecting Irish holidaymakers in the resorts scored tickets from Tartan Army who were already heading home before it.

For France '98, which was done by post, anyone who had been to at least two away qualifiers, or the game that Estonia didn't turn up for, was guaranteed tickets for all three games.

One away qualifier got you a Brazil ticket, which is what I had via the Sweden game in Gothenburg. Everybody else in the Travel Club got one of whatever was left.

I actually flew back and watched the Norway game in my house before spotting a newspaper advert for a scuffed charter flight to the Morocco game, including match ticket, which turned into an epic trip day trip on a giant ramshackle antique plane with free-for-all seating and a smattering of footballing celebrites on board, such as Davie Hay and Roddy Grant, who turned up in his St Johnstone tracksuit. The airline was Peach Air, which I later found out was genuinely an anagram of 'Cheap' which made sense, on reflection.

image.png.6efebec011e80a6940ae447ed52ed745.png

6 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

For France '98, which was done by post, anyone who had been to at least two away qualifiers, or the game that Estonia didn't turn up for, was guaranteed tickets for all three games.

One away qualifier got you a Brazil ticket, which is what I had via the Sweden game in Gothenburg. Everybody else in the Travel Club got one of whatever was left.

I actually flew back and watched the Norway game in my house before spotting a newspaper advert for a scuffed charter flight to the Morocco game, including match ticket, which turned into an epic trip day trip on a giant ramshackle antique plane with free-for-all seating and a smattering of footballing celebrites on board, such as Davie Hay and Roddy Grant, who turned up in his St Johnstone tracksuit. The airline was Peach Air, which I later found out was genuinely an anagram of 'Cheap' which made sense, on reflection.

image.png.6efebec011e80a6940ae447ed52ed745.png

A Lockheed Tri-star no less. That particular aircraft entered service in 1973 so was a mere 25 years old in 1998 😅. Lovely comfy interior surely ? 

Amazing folk remember how tickets were sold back in the day. I had all 3 at Euro 96 but can't remember how they were sold (STC member since way back). France 98 I got the Brazil ticket as I went to an away qualifier (France I think) and I got offered tickets for the Morocco game the day before the match when back home via Craig Burley's parents (long story) but couldn't find flights for love nor money that would get us there and back in time so missed it, not the worst outcome in hindsight. 

Edited by Billy Jean King

17 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just had a quick look at Ticombo for tickets being sold on 

Germany fixture - starting at £440 

Switzerland - £220

Hungary - £220 

Final ticket - £1006

On top of those prices do you not also get charged like £70-£80 per ticket for a handling fee? Is ticombo a good site to use? 

8 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Ah, that was it. I knew there was a reason why the rest of our group got Brazil tickets but not Norway. They'd all been to at least one away qualifier, I hadn't. I actually thought some of them would have been to at least two and got all three games by your comment but I'm sure they didn't. Maybe it was before they all traveled regularly.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Amazing folk remember how tickets were sold back in the day. I had all 3 at Euro 96 but can't remember how they were sold (STC member since way back). France 98 I got the Brazil ticket as I went to an away qualifier (France I think) and I got offered tickets for the Morocco game the day before the match when back home via Craig Burley's parents (long story) but couldn't find flights for love nor money that would get us there and back in time so missed it, not the worst outcome in hindsight. 

Well I only half remember as I didn't co-ordinate it. I was the one who got through to France on the phone though. I definitely had all three for Euro 96. I think everyone in what was the STC back then did. Certainly I never went to an away game and still got all three. I'd been at all the home qualifiers though.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ah, that was it. I knew there was a reason why the rest of our group got Brazil tickets but not Norway. They'd all been to at least one away qualifier, I hadn't. I actually thought some of them would have been to at least two and got all three games by your comment but I'm sure they didn't. Maybe it was before they all traveled regularly.

Well I only half remember as I didn't co-ordinate it. I was the one who got through to France on the phone though. I definitely had all three for Euro 96. I think everyone in what was the STC back then did. Certainly I never went to an away game and still got all three. I'd been at all the home qualifiers though.

Bizarrely I have no recollection of the phone line for that but we were only planning on going to Paris for the Brazil game and we knew we had tickets for that in the bag so probably wasn't looking. I do remember the Glasgow CC phone line farce, was that the England play off game ? Very odd set up looking back nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Bizarrely I have no recollection of the phone line for that but we were only planning on going to Paris for the Brazil game and we knew we had tickets for that in the bag so probably wasn't looking. I do remember the Glasgow CC phone line farce, was that the England play off game ? Very odd set up looking back nowadays. 

Don't remember this England phone thing with the Council. I definitely got tickets for both legs though and I don't recall making any phone call so presumably they were just automatically available to members with a certain amount of loyalty points. Unless I got them from Queen of the South anyway. I don't recall now but I took a friend to Wembley so I must have had two.

The France phone line thing was only for public sale tickets by the French organisers, it wasn't for Scotland allocation tickets. Those were all by post.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

I've bought black market tickets from different sources for several games in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, England and Scotland over the past 25 years and every time I've got my ticket. Once in Liverpool and once in Barcelona I was worried I was getting set up to get jumped but both times went absolutely fine. The actual secondary market in tickets must far exceed the scams.

Paying money up front for a ticket that needs to be transferred to you months later is obviously risky, but the agencies that deal in these have been around for a long time and sell a lot of tickets. If news got around that customers were getting scammed nobody would buy from them.

Yeah, I have used reseller companies before, and until you get the ticket and get in, there is always an element of doubt.

I used one for the Spain - Scotland game in Alicante in 2011 (I think it was) . The tickets were delivered to the hotel the day before the match.

if I don’t get any through any further UEFA sales, I will consider using one.  

I suppose my main concern here is not so much not receiving the ticket, but not being able to activate it. That could be the sender not forwarding the activation code on etc.  

As you allude to though, the more well known and established agencies should be on the ball. They are big business and have a lot to lose if they don’t come up with goods.