Rangers v Hearts

That wouldn't work with Scotland, given you could have some boy from Wick coming up through the referee ranks to level 1, but he's the biggest *** on the planet. 

Declaring teams wouldn't work in Scotland for so many reasons.

It would massively limit the supply of refs available for big games, leading to really poor standards. A lot of people would lie. And even when people were telling the truth we'd have Twitter full of fans (I'd imagine mainly of Celtic) insisting their mate know 'Motherwell-supporting' Ref X and he's a 'BIG RAINJURS MAN' and this pish would be all over Twitter.

It's like VAR. Won't solve the problem people think it will, and will make life much worse in ways people haven't thought through.

26 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I've now watched the highlights and both are definite penalties. Naismith talking utter shite. He should be hammering Haring.

Watching as it happened it was clear there had been an infringement, and once he got called over you knew it was coming. You can even tell from Haring's reaction he knew he'd fucked up. 

As for the first one Sibbick just cleaned the boy out. Don't think that one is even up for debate. 

12 hours ago, bennett said:

I remember celtic fans complaining about a hand ball even after it was explained to them that if a player is protecting his face it's not a penalty. 

Surely that gives rangers an advantage when you take into account the size of Goldsons coupon, the ball could hit his arm in any position and you could say he was protecting his face. 

13 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I know it’s the luck of the draw and all that but statistically surely they should have had a more difficult series of ties than this - or am I missing something? 

You're missing the League Cup draw being seeded in R2 for one thing.

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It would massively limit the supply of refs available for big games, leading to really poor standards. A lot of people would lie. And even when people were telling the truth we'd have Twitter full of fans (I'd imagine mainly of Celtic) insisting their mate know 'Motherwell-supporting' Ref X and he's a 'BIG RAINJURS MAN' and this pish would be all over Twitter.

It's like VAR. Won't solve the problem people think it will, and will make life much worse in ways people haven't thought through.

Agree with this.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

That wouldn't work with Scotland, given you could have some boy from Wick coming up through the referee ranks to level 1, but he's the biggest *** on the planet. 

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Which is why I clearly suggested the only way forward is foreign refs. 😂 

What I would certainly like our domestic governing football authorities to do is deal with sectarianism and bigotry the same way UEFA do.

Fines and penalties such as partial stadium closures. 

Why does the SFA or the SPFL not deal with this matter once and for all?

16 minutes ago, Molotov said:

What I would certainly like our domestic governing football authorities to do is deal with sectarianism and bigotry the same way UEFA do.

Because that would require the SPFL clubs to vote in favour of strict liability which is not going to happen.

Edited by AJF

30 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Rangers and celtic working together on this is needed, that way you minimise the calls of whataboutery and selectarianism. 

Getting rid of the offensive behaviour bill was a mistake.

31 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Ok. Let’s just carry on with another 100years of sectarianism and bigotry. 

Scotland’s shame. 

I never said I think it should just carry on, I was just explaining the reason why the SFA and/or SPFL can’t penalise clubs for fan behaviour.

I think only 3 of the 42 member clubs indicated they would vote for strict liability the last time it was raised.

3 hours ago, bennett said:

It's literally an IFAB rule.

Except… It isn’t. Not in the manner you’re wanting to use it.

image.jpeg.7378eaecd04ed917b6d6680e95f63354.jpeg

When pressed on the issue IFAB said it’s not cut and dry.

The referee must judge each situation on its merit and the Laws of the Game 2021/22 clearly states that the referee must decide if the hand/arm position can be justified by the player's body movement for that particular incident.

Referees must apply the 'spirit' of the Law and an instinctive reaction to protect the face which does not make the body unnaturally bigger is usually not penalised. Best regards, The IFAB“

So it’s unfortunately not the smoking gun you were hoping for.

Even if the defender is deemed “very close” a handball can still be given if the referee decides it merits such a decision.

Basically if the ref decides you’re deliberately handballing it under the guise of protecting your face, it’s still being given.

It doesn’t give you a get out of jail free card to put your hands and arms over your face to block anything and everything. Ironically IFAB guidance would have had the referee look at the Goldson for a second time using VAR, but he didn’t.