Rangers v Hearts

So ridiculously frustrating.  Sat too deep, but equally we were in zero danger so can see how we slipped into that mindset. Rangers were brutal and I don't think Clark had an actual save to make before the penalty.

The penalty probably is one, but if the ref hasn't given it, is it really enough for VAR to pull it back? It's the kind of foul that happens every week without intervention. 

Sure we'd have gotten the same treatment if it had been us 1 down in the 90th minute at Ibrox though.

11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

So ridiculously frustrating.  Sat too deep, but equally we were in zero danger so can see how we slipped into that mindset. Rangers were brutal and I don't think Clark had an actual save to make before the penalty.

The penalty probably is one, but if the ref hasn't given it, is it really enough for VAR to pull it back? It's the kind of foul that happens every week without intervention. 

Sure we'd have gotten the same treatment if it had been us 1 down in the 90th minute at Ibrox though.

Your manager reckons it wasnt a pen - 

image.thumb.png.38ae630df0822a1f5155fd5cb32e6af3.png

At absolutely no point thought we were going to win that game, and as soon as the second penalty was given knew we'd lose it.

It's not even a game you can really take the positives from, as these games are so unlike any other performances in a season as to be irrelevant. Look at Aberdeen since they won at Ibrox, for example.

Going so deep right from the start of the second half was unwise. Of course I understand the thinking, and it's absolutely correct that Rangers were never scoring if the penalty wasn't given. But, you give up that much possession and territory against a team with better players, and the chances of a moment of magic, or a mistake, or a penalty etc go through the roof. You're asking for trouble. Giving up our threat ultimately doomed us. The first half was excellent.

It probably is a penalty. We should have had a free-kick at the other end of the park before it. It's the wee decisions that kill you in Glasgow. Said it for years.

42 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

My guess is that VAR asks the ref if he seen the shirt pull, refs like "what shirt pull" hence clear and obvious error

Other than that, we are fucking honking, like worse than honking

Please never play Lammers or Dessers again, the very definition of haddies.  Genuinely thought that we'd bottled it today, still can't believe that we won.  

Edited by bennett

Well I know it was two stupid penalties to give away, but the last one definitely felt like the referee was looking for a reason to give it - very much same vibes as the Scotland-Spain match recently.

Refs seem to be forgetting it's only "clear and obvious error", not "every tiny thing". Very frustrating 

5 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Well I know it was two stupid penalties to give away, but the last one definitely felt like the referee was looking for a reason to give it - very much same vibes as the Scotland-Spain match recently.

Refs seem to be forgetting it's only "clear and obvious error", not "every tiny thing". Very frustrating 

Ach, I mean, it's a stupid thing to do. But do I think it would have been given against us at Rugby Park or Fir Park? Probably not.

Do I think we'd have got it at the other end? Let's be grown-ups about this. 😀

The most infuriating thing is that the threshold for when VAR can intervene changes every week. Sure it's just a coincidence it happens to be lower for certain teams.

Also, someone said after the Celtic game last week that when you play the Glasgow teams it's the small decisions you never get. Another perfect example today, Cochrane was shoved in the back with 2 hands, no foul and Rangers nearly score from the resulting corner. Similarly,  Vargas clearly fouled in the lead up to the corner for the penalty, not given. 

Tbh I would be all for shirt pulling being clamped down on for penalties. Its a cynical part of the game that doesn't get punished enough. It does happen at just about every corner though so understandably giving one at the end of a match raises suspicions. At the same time though I would be raging at my own player for doing something like that.

Edited by gannonball

14 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

The most infuriating thing is that the threshold for when VAR can intervene changes every week. Sure it's just a coincidence it happens to be lower for certain teams.

Also, someone said after the Celtic game last week that when you play the Glasgow teams it's the small decisions you never get. Another perfect example today, Cochrane was shoved in the back with 2 hands, no foul and Rangers nearly score from the resulting corner. Similarly,  Vargas clearly fouled in the lead up to the corner for the penalty, not given. 

It's always the wee things.

The 1-1 draw we had there in 2021 nearly turned away from us when the referee didn't give us either of two clear fouls in Rangers' half before giving them a free-kick seconds later when Hagi kicked the ground. It put us under pressure and Rangers scored within two minutes, swinging the momentum of the game when we'd been doing well. Justice prevailed with our late goal, but it's a classic example of the wee fouls that are usually called fairly that are very easy for the referee to give to the OF in Glasgow.

Today was the same thing. Clear free-kick to Hearts. Away at Killie we get that foul and see the game out. In Glasgow we don't get that foul.

Referees need to be a bit braver.

Edited by VincentGuerin