St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager 23/24

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Martingdale would be a terrific appointment for saints given time.  The problem is with the given time part. 

The Saints board will be realistic enough to know that survival is unlikely in the extreme.  If we get Martindale then I think it will be with the understanding that, should we go down, he is the guy to get us back up.  I think this appointment will be made with a long term view of things.

St Johnstone aren't known for sacking managers, especially so soon after their appointment.  The suddenness of McLean's sacking allied to the tersity of the statement and the fact that Liam was also shown the door leads me to believe that something pretty unsavoury happened after the game.

Would Martindale even be tempted by this vacancy ? Out of the frying pan into the fire IMO.

Whoever takes over at McDermid will probably demand upfront a guarantee of the board's approval to have a major clear out of duds in January. Ending contracts and signing new players will be an expensive business (on top of the cost of already paying off, or paying wages to, 2 ex-managers and coaches).

Do St Johnstone have enough cash in the bank to afford this, and would Geoff Brown be prepared to sanction it ?

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

The Saints board will be realistic enough to know that survival is unlikely in the extreme.  If we get Martindale then I think it will be with the understanding that, should we go down, he is the guy to get us back up.  I think this appointment will be made with a long term view of things.

St Johnstone aren't known for sacking managers, especially so soon after their appointment.  The suddenness of McLean's sacking allied to the tersity of the statement and the fact that Liam was also shown the door leads me to believe that something pretty unsavoury happened after the game.

Yeah and you would think to take the job he would be given assurances also so do agree if he was to be appointed then you would think it would be long term.  

Good post. 

Martindale has said repeatedly he wont leave Livi until John Ward tells him he's no longer wanted, or if a good job offer came in he'd ask him his advice, and if it was to stay then he wouldn't take it, and he's already turned a job down last season. I doubt Ward would get in his way of a good job offer, but i really don't see him wanting Martindale going to a bottom 6 team when it would be direct competition to Livingston. 

It's the crazy world of football though, so nothing is certain, but i just can't see it. 

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Martindale has said repeatedly he wont leave Livi until John Ward tells him he's no longer wanted, or if a good job offer came in he'd ask him his advice, and if it was to stay then he wouldn't take it, and he's already turned a job down last season. I doubt Ward would get in his way of a good job offer, but i really don't see him wanting Martindale going to a bottom 6 team when it would be direct competition to Livingston. 

It's the crazy world of football though, so nothing is certain, but i just can't see it. 

I agree with your reasoning, however it depends how much St Johnstone are prepared to spend to stay up. Buying out one of your rivals management team may send them into a freefall and we may improve enough to  get to the play offs a cheaper option than in binning the dross we have on contracts  just now. Also we could throw Chris Kane and Ali Crawford into the deal to help the situation!   

We did try a similar move last season and buy a Player from Ross county at the last gasp IIRC.    

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Martindale in before the weekend.

Some club.

Martindales comments on the vacancy don’t exactly scream out he’s definitely staying. 

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Hopefully there isn’t anything done before Wednesday’s game.

Wouldn't expect it unless its a free agent like Neilson.

If it really is Martindale then theres no chance its before our game IMO.

23 minutes ago, Center half said:

I agree with your reasoning, however it depends how much St Johnstone are prepared to spend to stay up. Buying out one of your rivals management team may send them into a freefall and we may improve enough to  get to the play offs a cheaper option than in binning the dross we have on contracts  just now. Also we could throw Chris Kane and Ali Crawford into the deal to help the situation!   

We did try a similar move last season and buy a Player from Ross county at the last gasp IIRC.    

Yep, but that's exactly why i can't see it happening, he has said how much he owes Livi giving him the chances he got in football management, and wouldn't take a job without John Ward's blessing. While i don't think Ward would stand in his way if a big job offer came up, i don't think this is that offer, and it would be in direct competition to Livi's Premiership survival.

How would using up a big chunk of our reserves  paying off managers affect selling the club? Would this actually be an advantage not having so much in the bank?

We are not so far behind that two wins and we are back in with a chance but they have to come soon. We must keep trying and it all might turn out ok.

So sorry it didn’t work for Steven MacLean.