FINNART V LARKHALL THISTLE SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP

FINNART 1    LARKHALL THISTLE 4

Thistle went 3 up when Finnart totally lost the plot, finishing the game with 8 men.

Facilities way below what is acceptable at this level with a poor synthetic pitch. No access to a toilet for wheelchair users.

2 hours ago, larkyforever said:

FINNART 1    LARKHALL THISTLE 4

Thistle went 3 up when Finnart totally lost the plot, finishing the game with 8 men.

Facilities way below what is acceptable at this level with a poor synthetic pitch. No access to a toilet for wheelchair users.

Told you that on Monday.

Outside of an emergency these grounds should be hunted long term. Best that might happen would be a couple of shipping containers (Gartcairn) having a few seats and a bit of cover in them. Lavvies or catering forget it. 

The Blazers of course couldn't care less whether you turned up or not.

5 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Told you that on Monday.

Outside of an emergency these grounds should be hunted long term. Best that might happen would be a couple of shipping containers (Gartcairn) having a few seats and a bit of cover in them. Lavvies or catering forget it. 

The Blazers of course couldn't care less whether you turned up or not.

The oldest team in the Scottish Junior Cup- the only one remaining from the inaugural competition - defeated the youngest.

I know Finnart do great stuff with youngsters, but these "public park" teams really need to upgrade.

Finnarts players lost their composure, more could have walked sooner, although they have some fine young players .

When you move outside the west how stringent were ground requirements in the Junior Cup in years gone by? If anybody ever saw clubs from the old Fife league like Tulliallan Thistle, Clackmannan or Halbeath play they'll know what I'm talking about. Finnart hope to gain control of the Crownpoint facility that Clyde are also after so they have a plan and good luck to them on that.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

When you move outside the west how stringent were ground requirements in the Junior Cup in years gone by? If anybody ever saw clubs from the old Fife league like Tulliallan Thistle, Clackmannan or Halbeath play they'll know what I'm talking about. Finnart hope to gain control of the Crownpoint facility that Clyde are also after so they have a plan and good luck to them on that.

Think Scone Thistle might have been the most basic I've ever been at, just a pitch with a fence around it with no hard standing or cover at all.

Fwiw I popped in for 5 minutes yesterday just in time to see a bit of 20 man pushing and shoving which was sparked off by Finnart not putting the ball out for an injured Larky player to get treatment. It could easily have been avoided as the ball was out of play with the player already down but the ref let Finnart restart play with a goal kick. It certainly looked to have the potential for a red card or too.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That would be great for them, after all they are a Bridgeton team. Too many clubs chasing too few facilities.

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Here's a wee rumour or inside knowledge.

The winner has already been tapped for the Sunday afternoon gig for Celtic Women FC going forward.

It ain't called Glasgow Celtic Council for no reason.

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Think Scone Thistle might have been the most basic I've ever been at, just a pitch with a fence around it with no hard standing or cover at all.

Fwiw I popped in for 5 minutes yesterday just in time to see a bit of 20 man pushing and shoving which was sparked off by Finnart not putting the ball out for an injured Larky player to get treatment. It could easily have been avoided as the ball was out of play with the player already down but the ref let Finnart restart play with a goal kick. It certainly looked to have the potential for a red card or too.

Yeah, I was there for the first half - it looked like shooty-in and I could only see one winner so I went down to Peasy Park for the second half of Locos/Panmure.

I think there's certainly an element of resentment of the new at play; some the people who are most vocal about Springburn not being fit for a junior cup tie would probably be moist with anticipation at the thought of an away tie up at somewhere similarly no-frills like Whitehills or Hall Russell, simply because the distance involved would make it feel more exotic, romantic and...well, juniory.

And that's not to say Springburn is a good venue. It's clearly not - the spectator experience provided simply isn't good enough to be charging money for.

Finnart are one of the ones who seem to be going about things the right way though and seem to have a plan in place, although I fear that the name recognition Clyde retain might be the deciding factor in the Crownpoint saga.

10 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Yeah, I was there for the first half - it looked like shooty-in and I could only see one winner so I went down to Peasy Park for the second half of Locos/Panmure.

I think there's certainly an element of resentment of the new at play; some the people who are most vocal about Springburn not being fit for a junior cup tie would probably be moist with anticipation at the thought of an away tie up at somewhere similarly no-frills like Whitehills or Hall Russell, simply because the distance involved would make it feel more exotic, romantic and...well, juniory.

And that's not to say Springburn is a good venue. It's clearly not - the spectator experience provided simply isn't good enough to be charging money for.

Finnart are one of the ones who seem to be going about things the right way though and seem to have a plan in place, although I fear that the name recognition Clyde retain might be the deciding factor in the Crownpoint saga.

Finnart at least have made it clear that they don't see Springburn Park as a long term solution, but Crownpoint is far from perfect too. Assuming it's the "stadium" pitch that would be their home ground if they are successful it at least has a bit of terracing, but tbh I'd rather stand on a touchline in a cage than watch a match on a pitch with a full size running track around it.

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Finnart at least have made it clear that they don't see Springburn Park as a long term solution, but Crownpoint is far from perfect too. Assuming it's the "stadium" pitch that would be their home ground if they are successful it at least has a bit of terracing, but tbh I'd rather stand on a touchline in a cage than watch a match on a pitch with a full size running track around it.

Yeah, I walked through the stadium bit a while back on my way up to Dennistoun and it's in quite a bit of disrepair as well. anyone who takes it over it will have a job on their hands...it's certainly not some spanking new facility.

It's difficult in many ways - while I totally get that the days of monolithic stadia like the old Tinto and Petershill are gone forever my worry is that the more sides who go down the 3G cage route, the more that'll be normalised as an acceptable way of operating. It's fine for sides that are just starting out - everybody's got to start somewhere - but for me there has to be some sense of working towards something better than that.

Moving from amateur or youth football comes with an expectation that now you're changing to get in, you should also make at least some effort to provide a spectator experience that people might want to repeat...some of the newer sides seem to get that point, Thorn being a good example of a side that seems to be moving in the right direction, but with others the jury's still out.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Would be highly surprised if Clyde win the bid for Crownpoint.

They seem all over the place on and off the park

Given their current position on the park, they look like candidates for the LL in the next few years, which would make taking on a new stadium which would need substantial work done while simultaneously financially restructuring in accordance with their new reality problematic to say the least.

As I'd said earlier, their greater name recognition might swing it for them, but the truth is they've not been a club based in the area for the best part of half a century now - when did they vacate Shawfield - mid-80s? - whereas Finnart are and seem to be a genuine local community enterprise in comparison.

30 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

As I'd said earlier, their greater name recognition might swing it for them, but the truth is they've not been a club based in the area for the best part of half a century now - when did they vacate Shawfield - mid-80s? - whereas Finnart are and seem to be a genuine local community enterprise in comparison.

Left Shawfield in '86 but didn't take up residence in Cumbernauld unitl '94.

8 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Left Shawfield in '86 but didn't take up residence in Cumbernauld unitl '94.

Yeah, I remember them floating around at Firhill and Hamilton for a good few years, but couldn't recall the timescale - coming up on 40 years since they had a genuine presence in the area then.