Partick Thistle 🔴🟡Vs Greenock Morton 🔵⚪️ - Saturday 11 November

I thought the penalty was a dive, but also thought we should have had one for handball seconds before it.

Still giving up space too easily and they'll hurt us with it eventually, but you can see the lift we've got from the equaliser. There's actually a wee bit of confidence in possession rather than all of them looking terrified to try anything but going backwards or punting as they were at 1-0 down. Blues has been really good.

Graham got subbed….went off to chants of “Brian Graham you’re a w*****”…….gave the Morton fans a “get it up you gesture “…..red card ensured.

Then had to walk past Morton fans to dressing room…..copped more abuse; stopped and started gesturing “see you outside , we’ll have a sort out there”

Then reappears celebrate Thistles second in front of the away support.

In a nutshell!

Daft red card from Graham but given that he’d been getting quite a lot of abuse during the game, why can’t he give a wee bit back? Not any different to Muirhead giving us a bit when he scores against us - it’s quite funny. No surprise that no one fancied actually going down and giving it to his face.

We deserved to win that. Fitzpatrick was excellent despite Alan Muir letting each Morton player having a free volley at him. What a dreadful refereeing display. I thought Wasiri did excellent again after being pushed even further out of position than normal. About 10 second before Alston score I was saying he was dreadful but he took his goal really well and was very good afterwards.

Edited by Reid

Thought it would’ve been a much easier victory when McInroy scored (which was a stunning ball by Lawless), but we just didn’t create much else in a first half where I thought both sides were really poor. As I said, thought there was a handball before the penalty, but would need to see it again to know. I thought George Oakley, while not a good footballer, was effective - held the ball up well and dragged our centre halves into a physical battle.

Second half was more of the same really, not great stuff but I don’t think we were ever really in any danger of conceding. Fitzpatrick was excellent all game and had the beating of his man every time. Wasiri did well again, and you can see a massive difference in him from even a few weeks ago. I also thought Muirhead was very impressive at the back. And that was Alston’s best performance for us by an absolute mile, even excluding the goal. But overall, I don’t think either team was playing particularly nice stuff, it was just a big silly scrap which I’m pleased we’ve come out on top in.

Morton look in big trouble. We didn’t take full advantage, but that defence can definitely be got at, and I didn’t see anyone with any creativity for them. A core of decent players like Crawford and Oakley, but really lacking in other areas. 

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Thought it would’ve been a much easier victory when McInroy scored (which was a stunning ball by Lawless), but we just didn’t create much else in a first half where I thought both sides were really poor. As I said, thought there was a handball before the penalty, but would need to see it again to know. I thought George Oakley, while not a good footballer, was effective - held the ball up well and dragged our centre halves into a physical battle.

Second half was more of the same really, not great stuff but I don’t think we were ever really in any danger of conceding. Fitzpatrick was excellent all game and had the beating of his man every time. Wasiri did well again, and you can see a massive difference in him from even a few weeks ago. I also thought Muirhead was very impressive at the back. And that was Alston’s best performance for us by an absolute mile, even excluding the goal. But overall, I don’t think either team was playing particularly nice stuff, it was just a big silly scrap which I’m pleased we’ve come out on top in.

Morton look in big trouble. We didn’t take full advantage, but that defence can definitely be got at, and I didn’t see anyone with any creativity for them. A core of decent players like Crawford and Oakley, but really lacking in other areas. 

Fair points but when the club with the smallest squad in the division have six first team players missing through injury life isn't easy.

1 hour ago, standman said:

Graham got subbed….went off to chants of “Brian Graham you’re a w*****”…….gave the Morton fans a “get it up you gesture “…..red card ensured.

Then had to walk past Morton fans to dressing room…..copped more abuse; stopped and started gesturing “see you outside , we’ll have a sort out there”

Then reappears celebrate Thistles second in front of the away support.

In a nutshell!

Massive fan of this sort of behaviour. 

That was a horrible game of football. 

In one respect I'm annoyed that we allowed ourselves to be dragged down to Morton's level after having made such a good start. In another, I'm glad we were able to grind out a win. I wasn't sure we had the ability to do that. I've seen Alston's goal back on twitter. Sublime. 

Is the way Morton play Imrie's preferred approach to football or a pragmatic approach based on a group of players almost devoid of any real quality? 

Busy week ahead for the Thistle physio. 

We walked into Morton’s trap and found ourselves sucked into a battle. I didn’t think we had the character to win such battles, but pleasantly surprised to be proved wrong.

Brian Graham re-emerging from the tunnel to taunt the travelling soap dodgers is delicious. 

20 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

We walked into Morton’s trap and found ourselves sucked into a battle. I didn’t think we had the character to win such battles, but pleasantly surprised to be proved wrong.

Brian Graham re-emerging from the tunnel to taunt the travelling soap dodgers is delicious. 

The Favellas will remember his name 😂

Echo previous thoughts on it being an awful game of football, particularly second half, Morton typically made it a ‘battle’ and therefore we struggled to break them down at times.  Alston’s goal was absolutely tremendous and we did deserve to win IMO, indeed Alston should probably have scored again and we did have a few half-chances in the first half too. Fitzpatrick MOTM for me, he ran himself into the ground the whole game, and Morton players were lining up to try and bring him down. Muirhead, a close second - been critical of him at times recently but really stepped up today and just about won everything in the air, we dealt with the late Morton onslaught very well. 

A scrappy game, as these ties against the relegation fodder of the league can be, thankfully we saw it out and got a good 3 points. 

42 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

That was a horrible game of football. 

In one respect I'm annoyed that we allowed ourselves to be dragged down to Morton's level after having made such a good start. In another, I'm glad we were able to grind out a win. I wasn't sure we had the ability to do that. I've seen Alston's goal back on twitter. Sublime. 

Is the way Morton play Imrie's preferred approach to football or a pragmatic approach based on a group of players almost devoid of any real quality? 

Busy week ahead for the Thistle physio. 

They are down to the bare bones. They have to routinely play Broad Cockfoot!