Airdrie Vs Arbroath

Airdrie won almost all the individual battles and fifty fifty contests.

The formation from last week did its job again and Frizzell was outstanding. I also thought Ballantyne was very close to being MOM.

Arbroath clearly miss O'Brien and whilst up front the two guys were quite skilful, I don't remember Rae or our defence being troubled.

Certainly the space given to Todororov to break through was nice to see and McStravick did well to pounce. In the second half McGregor's pace should have led to an even earlier second and the through ball from Gallagher was the kind of thing of beauty that he does. Well done to Lewis for staying composed.

Great to see Dick occasionally losing the plot and his triple subs was a wee bit desperate, a la Ian Murray.

Glad to stay ahead of the others and the cups are getting in the road! When did we last say that!

That was a massive win today especially with Abroath having a couple of games in hand.

Pleased with the clean sheet, defence were solid and the new formation is working really well.

I thought Bird and Hylton looked like decent players for Arbroath and their pace could've caused us problems but didn't feel they really created anything.

I was surprised at how comfortable I felt during the game, expected it to be a lot tighter.

Up to 4th in the league and a 9 point gap over 10th can't ask for much more than that.

32 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Airdrie won almost all the individual battles and fifty fifty contests.

The formation from last week did its job again and Frizzell was outstanding. I also thought Ballantyne was very close to being MOM.

Arbroath clearly miss O'Brien and whilst up front the two guys were quite skilful, I don't remember Rae or our defence being troubled.

Certainly the space given to Todororov to break through was nice to see and McStravick did well to pounce. In the second half McGregor's pace should have led to an even earlier second and the through ball from Gallagher was the kind of thing of beauty that he does. Well done to Lewis for staying composed.

Great to see Dick occasionally losing the plot and his triple subs was a wee bit desperate, a la Ian Murray.

Glad to stay ahead of the others and the cups are getting in the road! When did we last say that!

Dicks notorious for the triple subs, can't remember one working out favourably for us if I'm honest,,, total shambles yet again 🙈

Have to agree with most of what has been said. Airdrie weren’t spectacular but we were better than Arbroath in all the individual battles. 

Thought Todorov was good it was a shame he didn’t get a goal for himself.  Equally CalGals hold up play to release the quicker players was excellent. It’s certainly an aspect of his game that is often forgotten.

defensively we looked solid and to be honest if Arbroath had played all day they still don’t think they would have scored. 

Fair play to McCabe again for showing an ability/willingness to change things the last couple of weeks to get results. There's always a worry with managers who claim to have a 'way of playing' that they will stick too stubbornly to something if it isn't working but he showed last season, and already this season that he'll change things about.

It's a huge win, particularly with 3 weeks until the next league game it gives a more comfortable look to the table. Plus all the teams that I'd predict would be bottom 5 (if you exclude us) lost this weekend - Ayr, QP, Morton, Arbroath and Dunfermline. So it gives us a nice cushion for a few weeks.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

46 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

Dicks notorious for the triple subs, can't remember one working out favourably for us if I'm honest,,, total shambles yet again 🙈

Can we just agree that Dick's notorious? It's the bunnet that makes him a character. Seriously I think he has been a good manager but maybe it's becoming more difficult now.

57 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

Scott Stewart was very poor today alright in a left wing back type role,  how is he with you guys, remember a couple of seasons back he was very good , on a more forward role...  Looked a shadow of himself today 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Scott Stewart was very poor today alright in a left wing back type role,  how is he with you guys, remember a couple of seasons back he was very good , on a more forward role...  Looked a shadow of himself today 

Agent Airdrie ♦️♦️

Funny how people see things differently. I thought that was as poor as I’d seen Todorov. Didn’t get much luck against Arbroath defenders in the air. Ironic our first goal came from good work on the ground by him.

Glad for McGregor too bag another one. Killed the game but more so as he’d had a couple of chances which he’d missed before that.

♦️

Edited by Sub Parr
Spelling

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

He’s been a great player. Unfortunately due to the size of our squad he’s been moved to right back and this season left back due to injuries but he has actually been doing ok there. Definitely best at right midfield carrying the ball getting the team up the pitch, just a shame he lacks a final ball/finish.

Can only echo what’s been said already, was expecting a tough scrappy game with Arbroath happy to let us have the ball n try n hit us on the counter with Hylton n Bird making runs, actually forgot Hylton was on the park. 
Solid enough performance from us, done enough to get the win, Lewis Mcgregor so frustrating again glad to see him get the goal but could’ve had a couple prior to it! Much needed win before a couple weeks off the league, still notice a few teams below us got games in hand so hopefully results go our way.

Actually forgot to post my thoughts on Sunday, so here goes.

Funny atmosphere at the game I thought, very relaxed from both sets of fans and I actually thought both teams made it very easy for the referee as a contest.  A few shouts for the tussles between Todorov and the Arbroath centre halves, same with ATS and the Attackers but it was absolutely fine, everyone having a bit of the action and "fairly" fair.  Lewis McGregor still frustrates me, we'll play better and lose.

Thought Arbroath in a few spells popped the ball about well between the halfway line and our 18 yard...... and then didn't really do anything.  Quietest I've seen one of my favourite lower league footballers, McKenna, which I was glad of.

Not the worst game, decent result, and still more than 2 teams between us and the bottom.

Thank you.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++