Dundee FC vs The Pride of Renfrewshire, AKA St. Mirren - Armistice Day, 2023

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Some decent takes from @AW saint and @djchapsticks about just getting the head down and moving on. Pity the likes of @Ricand @Captain_Sensible resort to having a meltdown though.

Makes it all the sweeter to be fair though.

Think the heads gone thread might get busy.

Just now, johnnydun said:

How did that masterstroke work out?

Badly, but let's face it it's been a bad day for us all round.

As I said to DJC, we've had managers that would sit and watch that and just hope we'd somehow pull it together.

I'm not happy that he took 4 players off, but it's better than leaving them on.

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Most of our defeats at Dens are big ones , I can remember 5-1 , multiple 4-1 , and 4-0 , it's one of those things I suppose. In fact the last time we lost 4-0 up there we finished 33 points above Dundee at the end of that season , so we move on , I'm sure we'll sort things out ! I noticed that diddy Rick Lamie yelling at the crowd when he won a shy , a career high point ?

fostering tv show GIF by CBBC

Just now, Ric said:

It didn't work, that's true but if that was Goodwin, he'd have thrown on a 2nd striker for the last 5 minutes.

I don't think I've seen Robinson react like that, so it's nice to know he's willing to make big calls.

If he had 3 or 4 players utterly fatigued and getting run ragged because they spent a portion of the week shiteing through an eye of a needle?

I don't think many managers would have done anything differently.  If we had a bigger squad then the starting XI today would have looked a lot different but Robinson admits that's the sacrifice he's had to make.

Just now, Ric said:

I'm not happy that he took 4 players off, but it's better than leaving them on.

Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

So you were unhappy he took 4 players off but you would have been even more unhappy if he'd left them on?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think many managers would have done anything differently. 

Come on now, you've seen enough managers at our club to know quite a few would have shit-housed that whole game then complain when asked why they didn't make a change. ;)

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Some times there is no excuses. Hands up were were soundly gubbed. 

No need for panic stations. We reset and go again. Ayunga to come back etc etc. 

Pretty much this. We were always going to get a hard game today at 100%, several players free of illness but still running and training at 60-70% all week is going to make it that much harder.

Just now, Ric said:

Come on now, you've seen enough managers at our club to know quite a few would have shit-housed that whole game then complain when asked why they didn't make a change. ;)

Under the circumstances of playing shite? Many a time.

As a consequence of them recovering from being ill? No I haven't.

1 minute ago, eindhovendee said:

So you were unhappy he took 4 players off but you would have been even more unhappy if he'd left them on?

Yes, it's not hard to grasp, you know.

1) Rather not have 4 players needing being taken off.
2) Better take them off rather than leave them on playing badly.

It's really not rocket science!

No sure the "illness" thing really checks out when Dundee were happy to let St.Mirren keep the ball right from the first minute. Fair enough, could see the half-time subbies being down to a deficit in energy because of it, but so far as the actual team performance went I didn't see any evidence of fatigue, lethargy, or an inability to run, just a total lack of any creativity despite having the bulk of the possession.

Score flattered us considering how little attacking we actually did, but there have been a few games where we've played exactly like that, created a couple of good breakaways, and fluffed the last pass or the finish and came away with a dull point instead of all three, so it was nice to see them actually put the ball away at the end of the breaks for a change. 

9 points from our last 12. A few tougher fixtures coming up, but it's not like the last few seasons we had in the top flight where you looked at stretches of 4 or 5 games in a row and thought we'd struggle to come away with 1 point from the whole lot.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If he had 3 or 4 players utterly fatigued and getting run ragged because they spent a portion of the week shiteing through an eye of a needle?

I don't think many managers would have done anything differently.  If we had a bigger squad then the starting XI today would have looked a lot different but Robinson admits that's the sacrifice he's had to make.

That must be the worry for you as a St Mirren fan - your first team when on fire have been great - but lose anyone and there isn't the depth there to step in.

1 minute ago, Pens_Dark said:

There’s a few decent st Mirren posters on here. The vast majority are absolute fucking roasters. Take your medicine and I hope you have a shite journey home. 

We've been more than happy to live up the ridiculously good start to the season and loved hearing the whining and whimpering of opposition fans at us being happy. Makes sense that we need to accept when we've been shite and had a slapping.

I do love how some Dundee fans are determined to make out we are heartbroken by this rotten performance. It was a rotten performance, possibly one of the worst of the season but we are still 3rd though, and playing better (in general) than we have for years.

I doubt there is a single person out there, well.. perhaps elvis, who thinks this is the turning point in our season and it's all down hill from here. This was nothing more than a minor bump, just like the loss to Rangers was.

Just now, Ric said:

I do love how some Dundee fans are determined to make out we are heartbroken by this rotten performance. It was a rotten performance, possibly one of the worst of the season but we are still 3rd though, and playing better (in general) than we have for years.

I doubt there is a single person out there, well.. perhaps elvis, who thinks this is the turning point in our season and it's all down hill from here. This was nothing more than a minor bump, just like the loss to Rangers was.

Don't try and tar the rest of your fans on here. It's only really you that's being laughed at Ric.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

We've been more than happy to live up the ridiculously good start to the season and loved hearing the whining and whimpering of opposition fans at us being happy. Makes sense that we need to accept when we've been shite and had a slapping.

Got a lot of respect for your team and manager and their start to the season. Hard to dislike it.