Yer Motherwell v Glorious Hearts

Kettlewell is shocking. Zero shots on goal today. The initial formation is so stupid. Bair on the wing with no touch to do anything and Wilkinson on the other wing with no clue of what to do.

Spittal at wingback with zero hope of getting forward because there is no one available to cover in behind.

Worst thing is he already tried this formation with the exact same results at Killie. Only some poor finishing by Hearts kept it to 1 at half time. Also since dropping Mugabi we have been powder puff at corners. Liam Kelly looks lost. Butcher has not steadied anything and his rashness cost us the second goal. Although we were getting over run and there should have been subs before that.

Putting Mugabi up front is the act of desperation.  Just not good enough.

6 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We don't start playing until we're two down so the longer you leave it, the better for you. Is Naismith enough of a master tactician to realise this?

20 minutes to go wasn’t perfect but it could have been so different 

if that penalty had been given then you’d have been 2-0 down with plenty of time left 

That VAR may have cost Motherwell  the game 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Got quite annoyed at Kettlewell’s Sportsound interview there. Talking about players making poor decisions and also not defending our box - the latter I agree with.

The biggest factor was his stupid 523 formation he started with again. Bair and Wilkinson are never wingers and Mika can’t play upfront on his own. We totally lost the midfield with that formation and Hearts picked up the majority of second balls. We were lucky to only be one down at half time. 

I thought we started the second half ok with the move back to 352 and the players looked more comfy. Spencer had one great crossing position and one brilliant run where he should have shot but he has no left foot. Then Hearts took Forrest off and brought Sibbick on. I was happy that Forrest went off but that changed gave Hearts the majority of possession and they beat our press quite easily at times. Davor once again was totally overlooked when our midfield needed freshened up. 

We need to learn how to defend corners and get back to playing 352 imo. Gent and Obika should start post Celtic away. Also get Brodie training as a right wing back as he doesn’t look as dangerous on his natural side for whatever reason.

Dundee at home is massive for us/Kettlewell.

Edited by Gianfranco

22 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I thought we played pretty well for most of the game.  Bit nervy after the penalty, but recovered and managed the 5 minutes injury time well.

No sure what else Shankland can do to get called up, excellent again today

That’s Beni’s first 90 minutes since Tannadice on the 5th of March 2022

How did he do?

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That’s Beni’s first 90 minutes since Tannadice on the 5th of March 2022

How did he do?

I thought him and Nieuwenhof were both very good.  Great bit of play from him at the 2nd goal.  I still think he's not snapping into tackles the way he used to but his composure in the middle is massive for us

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

No sure what else Shankland can do to get called up, excellent again today

He wasn't particularly good for months. If he keeps banging them in consistently then he'll likely get back in.

Thought we were pretty good for the majority of the game, last 10 or so was a bit nervy but to be expected after the penalty. We looked really solid and weren't threatened much at all and could've had another.

The VAR decision I can see why he stuck with it, however I think it's a penalty. High feet and makes contact. Shankland got a free kick against him 2nd half for high feet and being nowhere near anyone, so if that's a foul, it's a penalty.

I was actually more annoyed at the penalty check that passed without the ref being called over for the foul on Shankland.  An absolute stonewaller.

Shanks was excellent today and has been good for quite a few weeks now. Good to see after a sticky spell.

Beni and Nieuwenhof were very good in the middle as well.

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

He wasn't particularly good for months. If he keeps banging them in consistently then he'll likely get back in.

But he's been in good form for weeks on a personal level and the forward options in the squad have all been awful at club level. Some aren't even playing much.

I just don't think he suits Clarke tbh and while I think it's harsh, you can't really argue with the fact he's more than earnt the right to pick who he wants.

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

His start to the season wasn't great, but that's 5 in 5, there's no one else in the squad scored 5 all season.  Lack of options alone should see him in.