Yer Motherwell v Glorious Hearts

Much like Aberdeen I was hardly surprised we lost to a team with a budget and wages circa 3-4 ours. I kinda expected it. Sure we will win the odd game,but a front line of Shankland, Boyce and Lowry v Bair, Wilkinson and Biereth is a non contest imho. Biereth is the only one who would get into the Hearts side. Even then it was clear he is still not match fit after 3 months out. 

We started with the wrong formation. That is on the Manager. No one else.

Hearts were decent. Not as good as Aberdeen were but they have decent depth in their squad despite their injuries. 

We are now in a 4 way fight for relegation v County, Livi and St J. Just have to hope they lose most of their games between now and the end of the season 🙏

Edited by welldaft

The Boyce one was a penalty. The VAR thought it was a penalty and that's why they called the referee over to change his mind.

Even if he didn't make contact (which he did), it's still a high boot that should be an-indirect free-kick just inside the box, so why the referee didn't give that at the very least in real-time is baffling.

Is this the first time this season that a referee has been called over and not changed his decision? Happens very rarely.

37 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Is this the first time this season that a referee has been called over and not changed his decision? Happens very rarely.

It's the first time I've seen it, as soon as the ref went to the monitor me and the guy behind me said well we know what's coming next so were really surprised when he stuck with his decision.

5 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

But he's been in good form for weeks on a personal level and the forward options in the squad have all been awful at club level. Some aren't even playing much.

I just don't think he suits Clarke tbh and while I think it's harsh, you can't really argue with the fact he's more than earnt the right to pick who he wants.

5 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

His start to the season wasn't great, but that's 5 in 5, there's no one else in the squad scored 5 all season.  Lack of options alone should see him in.

Fair points.

From a Hearts point of view, I'd rather he wasn't in as it gives him something to strive towards for the rest of the season (assuming he wants to go to the Euros).

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

High feet is an indirect free kick.

No if you kick the person in the chest it's not.

That we've reached a stage of football where people question how many studs in the chest is enough for a penalty while no one questions why a penalty is given for rocketing a shot towards Motherwell civic centre and it hitting the hand of a player 3 feet away is symptomatic of the farce the current rules are

13 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

He's also been pulled by Butcher as he turns.

Looks a bit like that but given that there aren’t enough cameras to cover the game properly it’s not as if the officials could make that decision confidently on the footage

Which is one of the problems with VAR in our league, particularly for games that aren’t live on TV

Brentford vs Bournemouth would have about a dozen cameras St Mirren vs Ross County is lucky to have two 

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Nah I am of the opinion he hardly touched him anyway, ref got that right, unusual for Munro

You would be screaming for a pen if it was the other way - we all would.

Boyce didn't help by holding his face when the kick was toward his chest.

However, the big point (and it's gets amply demonstrated week in, week out up here and the EPL) is that VAR is a fucking pita.

The incessant delays, inconsistent referrals, weird decisions are such that I am almost pining for the days when all we had to contend with was a Mason giving everything to Rangers - it's no like VAR has resulted in more penalties against them, has it?

The first-half penalty incident is one of those that all fans will think it's a penalty for their team, and all fans will deny it's a penalty against their team. It's arguable both ways, but it's at least an indirect free-kick for high feet.

The one on Shankland in the second half looked a stone-waller to me. Can't believe it wasn't given.

Hearts were good yesterday. A well-deserved win. Motherwell's shape let us dominate the midfield, but Naismith got all the big calls right, so fair play.

Beni is getting there. Hopeful we can get him fully up to speed in the new year after a run of games and the winter break.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

The first-half penalty incident is one of those that all fans will think it's a penalty for their team, and all fans will deny it's a penalty against their team. It's arguable both ways, but it's at least an indirect free-kick for high feet.

It’s in that grey area where one can be surprised it wasn’t given at Fir Park but know that there’s no way one it would be given at Parkhead 

No issues with the result at all, we were guff and Hearts thoroughly deserved the win. The added time, however, seemed massively off. 2 minutes in the first half despite a VAR check that was at least 5 and then 5 minutes in the second half where there were 2 lengthy VAR checks, 6 or 7 substitutions and Boyce spending the majority of the half rolling about holding deferent parts of his body. Plus a yellow card for time-wasting. 

We deserved nothing from the game, but there were 10 added minutes in the Celtic game today, when they were 3 up. Probably should have seen us launching the ball at Bevis for another minute or 2. Same thing happened in the St Mirren League Cup game from what I remember. 

33 minutes ago, Swami said:

The added time, however, seemed massively off. 2 minutes in the first half despite a VAR check that was at least 5 and then 5 minutes in the second half where there were 2 lengthy VAR checks, 6 or 7 substitutions and Boyce spending the majority of the half rolling about holding deferent parts of his body. Plus a yellow card for time-wasting. 

I was fucking delighted with the first-half injury time. I was fucking bursting for a pish and fearing 7 minutes or something.

Edited by VincentGuerin