Hearts vs St Johnstone: Craig Levein's return to Tynecastle

Not too despondent as we played well at times. Again just no threat up front. Kane and May are workers but we need a different option, not sure we can continue to keep both in the squad.

Agree about Costelloe, though I feel he’s only starting there as Wright’s injured and he’s better going forward than Brown. It’s not his natural position in fairness but agree he doesn’t offer much at all.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only took 20 minutes of Hearts not scoring for the diving in the box to start.

21 minutes for every deflection to have handball claims.

Theyre getting better tbf.

A team who were blatantly time wasting after 12 minutes probably shouldn't be casting any stones, tbh.

1 hour ago, Craigie Jambo said:

You'll be alright jonnies, good luck next game

Not bad today

Yeah, St Johnstone will take points off teams playing like that, and I can 100% see why they would play like that - but I don't envy anyone having to watch it (I'd like to think they'll be more expansive at home, but having watched a lot of Levein ball over the years, his teams play like this a lot.)

38 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

A team who were blatantly time wasting after 12 minutes probably shouldn't be casting any stones, tbh.

Theres a difference between time wasting when youre a shite team away to one of the best teams in the division, and diving for penalties when youre one of the strongest teams in the division at home to a shite team.

The Vargas dive was hilariously bad though, to the point it genuinely made me laugh. The fact our defenders spent the rest of the trying to clatter him was both good and bad.

Edited by RandomGuy.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a difference between time wasting when youre a shite team away to one of the best teams in the division, and diving for penalties when youre one of the strongest teams in the division at home to a shite team.

The Vargas dive was hilariously bad though, to the point it genuinely made me laugh. The fact our defenders spent the rest of the trying to clatter him was both good and bad.

It was a shite dive and I hope he gets hammered for it.

But given the one we were denied 1st half maybe it isn't worth St Johnstone fans moaning about it.

Barely deserved to win but will take it. Great 3pts again given we are capable of being way better than we are showing. Boyce, Grant and Forrest were dire, so pedestrian and slow. Hopefully with the likes of McKay close and Tagawa and Oda now fully available we will have more pace about the side very soon. Squad is going to have serious depth shortly. 

To be fair the St Johnstone players gave everything and they'll be absolutely fine this season with anything like that effort between now and May. May struggle for goals but with that commitment and willingness to run through brick walls enough wins will materialise. 

5 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Barely deserved to win but will take it. Great 3pts again given we are capable of being way better than we are showing. Boyce, Grant and Forrest were dire, so pedestrian and slow. Hopefully with the likes of McKay close and Tagawa and Oda now fully available we will have more pace about the side very soon. Squad is going to have serious depth shortly. 

To be fair the St Johnstone players gave everything and they'll be absolutely fine this season with anything like that effort between now and May. May struggle for goals but with that commitment and willingness to run through brick walls enough wins will materialise. 

I agree with a lot of that, but I thought Boyce was good. Intelligent movement,  kept it moving, creates space. I thought Shankland was miles worse tbh.

3 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I agree with a lot of that, but I thought Boyce was good. Intelligent movement,  kept it moving, creates space. I thought Shankland was miles worse tbh.

Nah, not having it mate, sorry. He's slower than the old fuckers taking a piss in front of me pre match. Only any use when he drops deep and takes it to feet in acres of space and with a lot of time. Yes a few nice passes here and there but his overall contribution is negligible. Him and Shankland get in each others way as well, it doesn't work and just means we have nobody going behind, like Ginnelly did effectively. If none of our young forwards; Tagawa, Vargas or Oda can take his place then none of them are up too much! With McKay back shortly too I really hope we aren't seeing many more starts for him.

By the way Shankland was rank too but he's basically undroppable. 

8 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

If you didn’t know about Shankland you wouldn’t have thought much of him today.

45 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

It was a shite dive and I hope he gets hammered for it.

But given the one we were denied 1st half maybe it isn't worth St Johnstone fans moaning about it.

It isn't worth us mentioning one of the worst dives you'll ever see because a Hearts player had a far better attempt in the first half?

Right you are.

3 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

Just saw the dive on Sportscene, a genuine contender for one of the best of all time. Right up there with Morten Gamst Pedersen, Saulias Mikoliunas and Chris Burke.

Not even the worst theres been against St Johnstone, perhaps.

The home match against Hearts, at the start of the season, was the last game I attended. Was great to see the obvious improvements since then, although it was a frustrating afternoon nonetheless.

We seemed a bit overwhelmed at the start, but Craig Levein’s champagne football gradually started to flow. I was impressed with Robinson, Smith and Phillips in particular. The front two were powderpuff. Having read Costelloe’s recent quotes, I’m unsure why he considers St Johnstone to be a ‘stepping stone’. A stepping stone to what exactly? He will never play at a higher level than this. 

A lot of nice play and chances created, but no end product and ultimately a sloppy goal to lose. A lot of this season’s matches seem to have followed that pattern, but I saw a lot to be positive about today.

48 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Shankland was pish today.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It isn't worth us mentioning one of the worst dives you'll ever see because a Hearts player had a far better attempt in the first half?

Right you are

I never said it's not worth mentioning, I said it's not worth moaning about. It was poor he never got away with it, he got booked. What else exactly do you want?

As for the Forrest one, you got away with it massively which was a bigger shambles seeing as Vargas got the appropriate punishment.