Anthony Gordon

GuyIncognito

Getting reported in the papers today that we're apparently monitoring Newcastle forward Anthony Gordon as he's been left out this month's England squad despite being in quite decent form.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/anthony-gordon-england-scotland-newcastle-31451580

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/anthony-gordon-scotland-target-newcastle-31449045

Would be a great option to have as he'd probably walk into the current side but can't see this ever happening. Livramento and/or Barnes will probably be more likely.

I reckon only Barnes is the one even remotely likely to come across in my opinion.  Up until last month Livramento was being bigged up for a call up to the England squad and if he even thinks there's a slim chance he'll get the call soon, at his age I'd be surprised if he didn't want to hang on to weigh up that possibility.

Would love either Barnes and/or Gordon to 'defect' as it were and the one thing in our favour I guess is that Clarke and Carver seem pretty adept at being able to sell the concept of what we are trying to achieve.

Would definitely take him if he’s committed to the cause. Turning into a quality player, could easily take the Christie/Armstrong position.

For him depends what your ambition is as a player. 
Obviously your national identity is a big factor, if he feels English then it’s hard to change that.

if it’s down to game time then he has to ask Do you want to be a bit part player getting the odd cap here and there for England or be a first choice for Scotland?

he’s up against foden rashford kane Bellingham Bowen grealish saka etc. 

I think the 3 (not including Barnes) of them at Newcastle will be on the fringes of the England teams for the next few years then will probably defect once they are about 27 and have nae caps

Barnes is a bit older and I reckon he'd be tempted, I think a Euro call up would convince but I don't really wanna use that as the carrot. Be scottish from Aug onwards.

1 hour ago, munro7 said:

I don’t see where he fits into our team.

If he wants to play for us, fine. If he’s just doing it because he can’t get a game for England then no thanks.

Adams and Gunn wouldn't have chosen Scotland if England had shown a sign of wanting them. In my opinion that's an unfortunate reality.

The argument that Barnes, Gordon, Livramento et al will only choose Scotland if England isn't going to happen is a strong one because if Scotland was their first choice they would be in our squad by now as they're already good enough, so they're waiting to see if England want them or not.

I'm torn personally - I can see both points of view, but like it or not that's the reality. Another reality is that Steve Clarke has no issue selecting players whose first choice was England as long as they're now committed to Scotland, again - like it or not.

Edited by 2426255

if he (or any of the above) wants to join at the start of the WC qualifying campaign and do contributions in getting us to a competition then fine, but throwing your interest out there on the verge of the Euros just because Gareth is snubbing him I'd tell him to bide his time and if not happy with that then f**k off. If he wanted to play for Scotland he'd already have been in the squad.

Anyone new coming in would have to be an absolute superstar that could automatically improve us no questions asked in order to make it into the Euros squad.  If they're still interested come the Nations League in the autumn, by all means we should be exploring every option in order to make us better.  But it would be a massive slap in the face to everyone who has got us to this point to bring in someone completely new if they're just going to be a slight improvement.

12 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

He has the ugliest face I've ever fucking seen. Hard no.

Och, I'm sure it's not that...

*checks*

Fucking hell.

Gordon will clearly just be using us to make Southgate take notice.

Livramento at 21 years of age won’t be committing yet and fair enough if he wants to keep his options open with England for a while longer at this stage.

Barnes is the only realistic option and probably would have been in this squad if he wasn’t injured imo.