All Time Best Scottish Defenders

6 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Just as a counterpoint to our " all time goal scorers " who do we think are our best defenders ?

Off the top of my head ;

Tierney , Hendry ( Colin ) , Levein and Gough

Levein! Craig '16 caps' Levein? He was a prospect at one point certainly before injury killed his career but top four in an all time best defenders list? No.

Did you deliberately miss Alex McLeish or forget him? He's not our most capped defender without good reason. And his pairing with Willie Miller for club and country is likely as good as we've been in the middle. Hendry & Calderwood was a very good pairing for a few years too. And Davie Weir worth throwing in the mix too.

Going back further John Greig & Billy McNeill? Danny McGrain at full back?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Levein! Craig '16 caps' Levein? He was a prospect at one point certainly before injury killed his career but top four in an all time best defenders list? No.

Did you deliberately miss Alex McLeish or forget him? He's not our most capped defender without good reason. And his pairing with Willie Miller for club and country is likely as good as we've been in the middle. Hendry & Calderwood was a very good pairing for a few years too. And Davie Weir worth throwing in the mix too.

Going back further John Greig & Billy McNeill? Danny McGrain at full back?

I did not forget McLeish and Miller.

IIRC Hendry and Calderwood played in a good back three.

John Greig and Danny McGrain definite contenders

Miller and McLeish probably the best central pairing,with Gough at right back. Left back was Malpas.

I'd have Robertson or Tierney at leftback.

Gough

McLeish

Miller

Robertson

Edited by jagfox

46 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I did not forget McLeish and Miller.

IIRC Hendry and Calderwood played in a good back three.

John Greig and Danny McGrain definite contenders

So you deliberately didn't list Miller or McLeish and think they are less worthy of mention than Levein? All about opinion but that's a considerably left field one.

46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In my lifetime I'd say the best defenders to play for Scotland would have to be

Willie Miller

Alex McLeish

Colin Hendry

Andrew Robertson

Garry Kenneth.

😂 I see what you did there.

There's a debate about what constitutes a "defender" these days of course. The modern full back / wing back is a very different player to the full backs of the McGrain / Jardine era. I wouldn't have Andy Robertson anywhere near a conversation about "best defenders". He's improved a bit over the years but he's not naturally a magnificent defender. He still loses his man from time to time or gets caught out of position (see the recent England game). His big assets are his energy levels and creativity from wide. Patterson and Hickey are of the same ilk. Tierney can do that too but there's more actual defensive nous from him too.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So you deliberately didn't list Miller or McLeish and think they are less worthy of mention than Levein? All about opinion but that's a considerably left field one.

😂 I see what you did there.

There's a debate about what constitutes a "defender" these days of course. The modern full back / wing back is a very different player to the full backs of the McGrain / Jardine era. I wouldn't have Andy Robertson anywhere near a conversation about "best defenders". He's improved a bit over the years but he's not naturally a magnificent defender. He still loses his man from time to time or gets caught out of position (see the recent England game). His big assets are his energy levels and creativity from wide. Patterson and Hickey are of the same ilk. Tierney can do that too but there's more actual defensive nous from him too.

Only cos when they played you could tackle if you put Tierney and Robertson back in there day they could handle dishing it out and being on the receiving end you don't play at the top in any era if you haven't got that toughness about you physically and mentally 

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Agreed !

How about McQueen and Martin Buchan ?

Better than McLeish and Miller ?

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

Only cos when they played you could tackle if you put Tierney and Robertson back in there day they could handle dishing it out and being on the receiving end you don't play at the top in any era if you haven't got that toughness about you physically and mentally 

I've no idea why you're rattling on about tackling. Nobody mentioned tackling and I specifically said Tierney can defend. Robertson's not a natural defender though.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no idea why you're rattling on about tackling. Nobody mentioned tackling and I specifically said Tierney can defend. Robertson's not a natural defender though.

Nay bother that is why he is at Liverpool and won titles and champions leagues obviously back in the day when you could fly into tackles it was easier when players were alloud to be hardmen 

Just now, General dissaray said:

Nay bother that is why he is at Liverpool and won titles and champions leagues obviously back in the day when you could fly into tackles it was easier when players were alloud to be hardmen 

Yeah, again you're havering on about something nobody else is discussing. He's not at Liverpool for his defensive qualities particularly despite not even being the weakest Liverpool full back defensively !

5 hours ago, General dissaray said:

McGrain

Jardine 

McLeish 

Miller 

Hansen

McQueen

Greig

McNeil

Nicol

Malpas

Narey