McGrain

Dave Mackay

Jim Holton

Tommy Gemmell

John Greig

George Young

Billy McNeill

Tommy Gemmell - no.

Obviously brilliant going forward but , imho , not that good defensively !

IIRC Hugh McAlvanney ( sp ) had as his central pairing Dave MacKay and the Rangers ( ? ) player from the fifties who was eventually banned sine die. Sorry I have forgotten his name

George Young , a teammate ( ? ) , was supposed to be really good.

and McKinnon ?

One of the greatest centre half’s I ever watched was Bobby Reid who was being targeted by Liverpool before his career was cruelly cut short by an injury sustained playing for a Scotland select.

Liverpool rated Reid really highly. 

Many older Saints fans who also witnessed a young Gordon McQueen said Bobby was a far better player. 

Bobby became a lawyer after retiring from football.

IMG_5170.thumb.jpeg.690b70178f804947c2a92f5fc0a041fa.jpeg
IMG_5169.thumb.jpeg.2409e43623a164dc975f568448338923.jpeg

"Scotland havnae had a defence since George Young retired", is one of my old man's most commonly used phrases during internationals. He probably uttered it again watching Sportscene last night.

Edited by Lurkst

11 hours ago, Lurkst said:

"Scotland havnae had a defence since George Young retired", is one of my old man's most commonly used phrases during internationals. He probably uttered it again watching Sports last night.

My dad says "I maintain goalkeepers should stay on their line" every game. Without fail. Those exact words. He considers his position is supported whenever a goalkeeper comes out to narrow the angle and is beaten. If the goalkeeper saves it he invariably "gets away with one". Fun times. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

My dad says "I maintain goalkeepers should stay on their line" every game. Without fail. Those exact words. He considers his position is supported whenever a goalkeeper comes out to narrow the angle and is beaten. If the goalkeeper saves it he invariably "gets away with one". Fun times. 

Geometry is for losers.

In my time watching the team(2002ish onwards) its probably only Robertson that's obviously the best in his position

Right back its either Hutton or Hickey. Will give it to Hutton for the time being just because Hickey's played so little, Hickey has a much higher ceiling. Bardsley was solid enough when called upon.

Centre-half has not been kind to us. In the early years we had David Weir, who was decent but ancient, partnered up with some turnip like Caldwell or McManus. Then we had Hanley, Berra, Russell Martin, Mulgrew in the Strachan years, slightly better but not by much. The current crop is the best in my time, bit how much of that is down to a competent manager and team?

Left-backs we've done alright. Robertson and Tierney are world class. Gary Naysmith was a good player. The spell between those periods with the likes of Danny Fox, Stephen Crainey, Paul Dixon, Craig Forsyth and out of position Whittaker picking up caps would be well forgotten about.

Overall, regardless of position our best defenders have been:

1. Robertson
2. Tierney
3. Hutton
4. Weir
5. Naysmith
6. Jack Hendry
7.  Hanley
8. Mulgrew
9. Hickey
10. Andy Considine

4 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

In my time watching the team(2002ish onwards) its probably only Robertson that's obviously the best in his position

Right back its either Hutton or Hickey. Will give it to Hutton for the time being just because Hickey's played so little, Hickey has a much higher ceiling. Bardsley was solid enough when called upon.

Centre-half has not been kind to us. In the early years we had David Weir, who was decent but ancient, partnered up with some turnip like Caldwell or McManus. Then we had Hanley, Berra, Russell Martin, Mulgrew in the Strachan years, slightly better but not by much. The current crop is the best in my time, bit how much of that is down to a competent manager and team?

Left-backs we've done alright. Robertson and Tierney are world class. Gary Naysmith was a good player. The spell between those periods with the likes of Danny Fox, Stephen Crainey, Paul Dixon, Craig Forsyth and out of position Whittaker picking up caps would be well forgotten about.

Overall, regardless of position our best defenders have been:

1. Robertson
2. Tierney
3. Hutton
4. Weir
5. Naysmith
6. Jack Hendry
7.  Hanley
8. Mulgrew
9. Hickey
10. Andy Considine

They could make an interesting back five ;