TV Coverage Thread

The Master

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Andros Townsend is excelllent.  I don’t know why I’m surprised by that but I am.  

Significant upgrade on the last A. Townsend that ITV employed.

2 hours ago, Pilgrim Ranger said:

Hate to break it to you but most English people aren't really thinking about Scotland. We get that you're obsessed with hating us but the feeling isn't mutual 

Like 100% of English politicians are obsessed with keeping Scotland in the Union.

Yet, apparently, England are subsidising Scotland. Apparently.

Obsessed and scared of going it alone without your golden goose.

As for "hating".

Flip the script: Imagine every time you turned on the tv you heard a Scotland voice, you had to watch English shows and English commercials, etc.

Imaging during England's matched 10% of the build up is about the England's upcoming match and 90% is about Scotland's upcoming match.

15 minutes into the coverage last night it went to England's camp. I immediately switched off till kick off.

Imagine your media, print, radio and television has a Unionist slant to it.

Want to talk about the £2trillion from the North Sea?

I think if the shoe was on the other foot you'd get it.

Edited by SlayerX

I find the constant England focus very annoying.  We are watching a tournament with Europe's top players and I want to know about the upcoming game about to start.  I kind of understand the choice of pundits because they were respected players down here.  I know McCoist is not to everyone's taste, but he at least sounds like he is enjoying himself and knows he has a great job.  It's nice to hear someone like Seb Hutchinson who is trying to commentate and not crack bad gags.  It would be nice to hear a Scottish voice on telly comms.

I enjoyed Hutchison correcting Dixon in the Spain v Croatia match. 

Dixon "he was literally standing on the linesman's toes" 

Hutchison "I don't think he was literally standing on his toes, Lee" 

Just now, BucksburnDandy said:

BBC going down the tedious England route too. Dreadful stuff.

Was just about to say the same thing. 

Every day on each channel we'll be getting a 10 minute report from the camp, sit down interviews with Southgate, previews into their next game and post-mortems of the previous match. Scotland will get a 5 minute segment of highlights and analysis the day after on whatever channel our game wasn't shown on, and that'll be that. The bare minimum possible. Our participation in this tournament is about as relevant to these frauds as Albania's or Georgia's is. 

10 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Was just about to say the same thing. 

Every day on each channel we'll be getting a 10 minute report from the camp, sit down interviews with Southgate, previews into their next game and post-mortems of the previous match. Scotland will get a 5 minute segment of highlights and analysis the day after on whatever channel our game wasn't shown on, and that'll be that. The bare minimum possible. Our participation in this tournament is about as relevant to these frauds as Albania's or Georgia's is. 

Even Wales seem to get more coverage, wonder why....

The German commentary is like Countryfile, useless for having on in the background to warn you to look at the telly if something's building up and you're reading a book or something. 

The two England games on the BBC have an hour of build-up. 

Scotland v Switzerland on Wednesday has half an hour. 

But there’s no pro-England bias. Nope. None. Nada. 

34 minutes ago, The Master said:

Limiting pre-match build-up to half an hour after the Germany game is a pro-Scottish move IMO.

I don't see the issue with coverage of actual games: it's the completely irrelevant shoehorning of coverage from 'the camp' or 'Gareth' (see above) in the rest of the tournament that rips my knitting. 

17 hours ago, The Master said:

Playing devil’s advocate here but if BBC didn’t have the 5pm game that day then I’d like to think they’d have given Scotland vs Switzerland the full hour’s build up…

…over to a preview of England’s next group game before showing the Scotland match.

Wales reached the semi finals of euro 2016 and they still managed to get in their England chat at half time when they’d been knocked out like a week before. 

They’re absolutely shameless about it and it’s pathetic. 

Could they not just have a separate 10 minute ‘update from the England camp’ slot before or after the games that don’t involve them?

Keep it out of the actual match coverage and it’s probably better for iPlayer/ITVX.

Ideally they’d have the same for us but that’s probably too much to ask!

17 hours ago, virginton said:

I don't see the issue with coverage of actual games: it's the completely irrelevant shoehorning of coverage from 'the camp' or 'Gareth' (see above) in the rest of the tournament that rips my knitting. 

Yeah this. They're in the tournament. They're entitled to focus on the team and big up the games. I can even cope with the pre and post match camp reports etc. Filling part of half time in another game going on about England o, even worse, the damned commentary during the game, is an absolute nonsense though.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah this. They're in the tournament. They're entitled to focus on the team and big up the games. I can even cope with the pre and post match camp reports etc. Filling part of half time in another game going on about England o, even worse, the damned commentary during the game, is an absolute nonsense though.

On the other hand, let's not change a losing formula which has worked since 1966 😉