Most capped XI

JamesM82

Saw this on the bird app. It doesn't really cohere because the traditional Dutch shape is 4-3-3, so you would drop one of the mids (Wijnaldum) and play their most capped RB (moving Daley Blind to CB).

I think for Scotland this would be something like (5-3-2):

GK Leighton (91)

DF Dailly (67), Weir (69), McLeish (77), Boyd (72), Robertson (67)

MF Fletcher (80), McStay (76), McGinn (62)

FW Dalglish (102), Miller (69)

That's without forcing in a second GK (Gordon, 74) or yet another CB (Willie Miller, 65). I know Christian Dailly never really played as a RB - he sometimes played as a LWB for Scotland (!) - but I think it's the best fit without going too nuts. Does show though how some of the current players are starting to get up there in cap totals.

Strange to think that Jim Leighton missed out on a lot of caps due to confidence issues and competing with one of the best keepers in Europe for a time. That's quite an impressive total even without that to take into consideration.

Great to see names like Dailly and Miller in there, who always turned up and gave it their all, even during some grim times for the national side.

I always think these things should be 4-4-2, and just shoehorn CM's into wide midfield

GK Leighton (91)

DF McGrain (62), Weir (69), McLeish (77), Boyd (72),

MF McGinn (62), Fletcher (80), McStay (76), Collins (58)

Edit for RB

Edited by honestly united

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

I always think these things should be 4-4-2, and just shoehorn CM's into wide midfield

GK Leighton (91)

DF Aitken (57), Weir (69), McLeish (77), Boyd (72),

MF McGinn (62), Fletcher (80), McStay (76), Collins (58)

Yeah I prefer the 442 setup for this as well.

Struck me as a bit disappointing that there are two players in there with only 50 something caps.

Surely Danny McGrain with 62 caps is a better choice at RB? Shoehorning-wise, you could have: Willie Miller with 65 caps, or Richard Gough in fact with 61 caps (or Dailly as mentioned above).

Edited by Gordopolis

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah I prefer the 442 setup for this as well.

Struck me as a bit disappointing that there are two players in there with only 50 something caps.

Surely Danny McGrain with 62 caps is a better choice at RB? Shoehorning-sise, you could have: Willie Miller with 65 caps, or Richard Gough in fact with 61 caps (or Dailly as mentioned above).

I had thought about Gough as he had played RB but thought he was more CB. For some reason I had McGrain as a LB so yeah he should be in before Aitken