The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That film scared the shit out of me when I went to see it when I was at Aberdeen Uni.

Agreed - definitely make it into my top 5 scary movies of all time.  

ETA - Possibly my top 5 (ahem) Erotic movies of all time as well come to think of it. 

Edited by hk blues

12 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Very sad.to hear, Donald Sutherland was one of the greatest Canadian actors of all time.  Such incredible talent and range

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/jun/20/donald-sutherland-filmography

"Donald Sutherland was an utterly unique actor and irreplaceable star: possessed of a distinctive leonine handsomeness that the white beard of his latter years only made more majestic: watchful, cerebral, charismatic, with a refinement to his screen acting technique comparable perhaps only to Paul Scofield and his Canadian background (together with his early stage training and experience in England and Scotland) gave his American roles a certain touch of Anglo-international class. Sutherland was commanding and exacting, he gave each of his roles and films something special: he addressed his co-stars and the camera itself from a position of strength."

21 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Very sad.to hear, Donald Sutherland was one of the greatest Canadian actors of all time.  Such incredible talent and range

I think you are forgetting the true Canadian acting greats, William Shatner and James Doohan.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I think you are forgetting the true Canadian acting greats, William Shatner and James Doohan.

Hence why I said "one of"  We have had a lot of acting greats

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Those two couldn’t lace John Candy’s boots. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Those two couldn’t lace John Candy’s boots. 

As good as Candy and Sutherland were, neither were good enough to be offered a role in an episode of Star Trek. Not even a cameo.

16 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

As good as Candy and Sutherland were, neither were good enough to be offered a role in an episode of Star Trek. Not even a cameo.

That will definitely be a thing of pride for them to avoid that horseshite. . 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

.. and who was the villain in Star Trek VI?

Week 25 update

Loads. First this week, Paul Spencer: Dario G star Paul Spencer dies aged 53 after cancer diagnosis | Ents & Arts News | Sky News

Dario G star Paul Spencer has died at the age of 53 following a cancer diagnosis.

The dance music producer, whose hits included Sunchyme and Carnaval De Paris, was diagnosed with stage four rectal cancer in 2023 and regularly posted about his condition on social media.

"It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Paul Spencer earlier today," the musician's family said as they announced the news on social media.

The original group, named after then manager of Crewe Alexandra FC, Dario Gradi, was best known for their debut single Sunchyme which reached number two on the UK singles chart in 1997.

It was kept off the top spot by Sir Elton John's tribute to Princess Diana, Candle In The Wind.

A year later the trio released Carnaval De Paris for the 1998 FIFA World Cup - with the track peaking at number five in the UK singles chart.

Oh, go on then

Spencer died at 53 so he's worth 72 Base Points for @chomp my root and LoonsYouthTeam, with a Deadly Duo bonus giving chompers 97 points and LYT 133 points.

==========

Second death this week is former St. Mirren player Billy Abercromby: St Mirren legend Billy Abercromby dies aged 65 - BBC Sport

Billy Abercromby, St Mirren's 1987 Scottish Cup-winning captain, has died aged 65.

The former midfielder was a youth product and made his first appearance in 1976 before going on to play a total of 367 times.

He spent 13 seasons with the Buddies and was also part of the side that won the First Division title in 1976-77.

Abercromby went on to famously captain St Mirren to their third - and most recent - Scottish Cup triumph in 1987 after a 1-0 win over Dundee United at Hampden.

I think it's worth sharing @Molotov's post here:

On 18/06/2024 at 23:02, Molotov said:

As I said when I put my first ever entry into this mad area of the forum….

I had met and talked with Aber a number of times down the years. 

Despite the challenges he faced off the park after his career ended he was so humble about his playing career. He was extremely proud of playing for St Mirren and helping is finally win the 1987 Scottish cup. The last captain to lead an all Scottish side to the trophy. 

He will be sadly missed by all those who knew him but remembered by all who saw him represent the Buddies. 

That dressing room of our heroes during the golden decade of 77-87 is one shirt lighter unfortunately.

What a defensive midfielder he was. Priceless in todays game.

https://cairterscorner.com/2022/04/10/billy-abercromby/

RIP Aber. 

Great book if anyone’s interested.

IMG_0931.thumb.jpeg.3b3f99ddfefe776287cbead373f96b65.jpeg

Abercromby died at 65 so he's worth 60 points for Mr. petrol bomb, with a Solo Shot giving him an extra 50, as well as a Captain bonus for a total of 170 points.

============

Final death this week is baseball man Willie Mays: Willie Mays obituary | Baseball | The Guardian

In America’s golden age, the 1950s, when baseball was still the national pastime and New York was the unofficial centre of the world, the city had three baseball teams that were each blessed with an outstanding centre-fielder. Brooklyn’s Dodgers, for decades loveable losers until Jackie Robinson broke baseball’s apartheid, had Duke Snider. The dynastic Yankees, the team of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Joe DiMaggio, boasted Mickey Mantle. And just across the Harlem River from Yankee Stadium, the Giants had Willie Mays.

Mays, who has died aged 93, was the first black superstar of the post-Robinson era of integration, and though arguments persist as to whether he or Mantle was the greatest of the three, or indeed greater than the legendary Ty Cobb, he was inarguably baseball’s most exciting player.

There are a lot of baseball references and baseball people in this article. I don't know anything about baseball but he seems to have been quite good and I recognise his name, so that's about as famous as a baseball man can get.

Mays died at 93 so he's worth 33 Base Points for @Savage Henry, with a Solo Shot taking that to 83 points.

I think that's everything, so the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 528
2. Ned Nederlander 495
3. Billy Jean King 464
4. lolls 442
5. Moomintroll 430
6. The_Craig 422
7. psv_killie 419
8. Indale Winton 412
9. El Guapo 385
10. chomp my root 378
11. sparky88 375
12. choirbairn, The Naitch 366
14. JustOneCornetto 362
15. Savage Henry 343
16. mathematics 332
17. The DA 328
18. TxRover 325
19. pub car king 322
20. Lofarl 298
21. Forest_Fifer, scottsdad 297
23. Arch Stanton 291
24. cdhafc1974 288
25. buddiepaul 281
26. lichtgilphead 279
27. peasy23 276
28. weirdcal 275
29. sleazy 268
30. Melanius Mullarkey 260
31. Arbroathlegend36-0 252
32. Arabdownunder 246
33. Bully Wee Villa 239
34. Desp 234
35. LoonsYouthTeam 222
36. Aim Here 219
37. blackislekillie 216
38. parxyz 206
39. Darren, qos_75 203
41. Oystercatcher 198
42. Craig fae the Vale, pawpar 179
44. tamthebam 171
45. Molotov 170

46. amnarab 169
47. 10menwent2mow, 101, Guy Incognito, HI HAT, nessies long lost ghost, Shipa, throbber 168

54. Raidernation, Salvo Montalbano 163
56. Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 162
58. DG.Roma, Mark Connolly, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 159
62. alta-pete, Miguel Sanchez 156
64. ThomCat 152
65. Enigma 128

66. Trogdor 113
67. Sweaty Morph 100
68. dagane, gingette, The Hologram 84

71. invergowrie arab 78
72. sensorsoupe 75
73. ICTChris 74
74. Cheese 71

75. Florentine_Pogen 58
76. stanton 51

77. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
79. falkirktheinvincible 27

80. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

@mr petrol bomb - I’ve never seen him post on here before and his account now seems to be deleted - gets Billy Abercromby, has him as his Captain and a solo shot? And I don’t see him listed on the leaderboard either?! I’m sensing some sort of jiggery pokery! 

42 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

@mr petrol bomb - I’ve never seen him post on here before and his account now seems to be deleted - gets Billy Abercromby, has him as his Captain and a solo shot? And I don’t see him listed on the leaderboard either?! I’m sensing some sort of jiggery pokery! 

Well he either killed Abercromby himself or he's a Tory advisor who put a bet on.. 

46 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Molotov=petrol bomb. Or have I been whooshed?