Your favourite discoveries of 2023

Richey Edwards

What artists have you discovered this year that you have particularly enjoyed?

They can be new artists or ones that have been around for years that you only started listening to this year.

I have been listening to a lot of The Divine Comedy this year. Neil Hannon is an excellent songwriter.

Dapunksportif were a band I got into in 2023. A band I was obviously aware of, but had never really got into were The Cure. Started delving into their back catalogue in 2023 and discovered how much great music from them had simply passed me by.

Good thread.

my top ten albums I discovered this year

1. Dystopia - Dystopia (2008) - very nihilistic, misanthropic sample heavy sludge metal/crust punk album
2. Alice In Chains - Facelift (1990) - Dirt has been one of my favourites for years, but had never listened to this release before. Its every bit as good. Layne Staley possibly my favourite vocalist of all time.
3. Fang - Landshark (1983) - Hardcore Punk. Nirvana covered the Money Will Roll Right* In at Reading festival, which is how I discovered them. Great albim
4. The Garden - Horseshit on Route 66 (2022) - strange little album which is a blend of experimental rock, punk and drum n bass
5. The Chats - Get Fucked (2022) - Australian punk album. Good fun
6. Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind (2008) - if you like extreme metal, you'll like this. Has lashings of doom, sludge, death, black and even drone metal here
7. Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (2006) - one of the few Death Metal albums I've heard that uses conventional verse-chorus-chorus song structure, and leaves all the proggy shite at the door, I wish there was more like this
8. Weedeater - And Justice For Y'All (2001) - lovely stonery, sludgey riffage with some harsh vocals over the top
9. Nails - Unsilent Death (2010) - grindcore album with actually decipherable vocals
10. High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings (2005) - stoner metal, another band that I already liked, hadn't listened to this record before

honourable mention to Brainbombs - Burning Hell (1992), a noise rock album with some Swedish maniac ranting over the top of it, it cracks me up. I only strated listening to it this week, might have made the list if I found it earlier

*was my top listened to song on Spotify this year

Edited by Jives Miguel

1. Boygenius - Watched them do a cover of The Chicks 'Cowboy Take Me Away' and they were very good. Seen them at Connect Festival this year and they were excellent. True Blue, Emily I'm Sorry and Salt in the wound are my favourites.

2. Corella - They always popped up in Spotify recommend and went along to King Tuts to go and see them. They only have a bunch of EP's so here's hoping they manage to release an album soon.

3. Spanish Love Songs - Enjoyed their cover of 'Smile Like You Mean It' and decided to check them out. No Joy is a great album and one of my favourites this year, Lifers and Marvel are excellent.

4. Holly Humberstone - Not the type of music I would normally listen to but she has an amazing voice and a lot of her songs are very catchy. I like some of her songs from 'Paint My Bedroom Black' my favourites are 'The Walls are way too thin' and 'Friendly Fire' which aren't on the album.

5. Idlewild - Feel like I've been living under a rock a bit with this band, completely went under the radar for me and i can't believe it had only taken me until 2023 to discover them, 'The Remote Part' is a superb album. 'American English' and 'Life in a hiding place' are two regular tunes on my playlists.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

3. Spanish Love Songs - Enjoyed their cover of 'Smile Like You Mean It' and decided to check them out. No Joy is a great album and one of my favourites this year, Lifers and Marvel are excellent.

Spanish Love Songs are just utterly incredible. Cannot wait to see them again in January, I think the No Joy songs are going to be brilliant live.

I discovered quite a few bands/artists this year, mainly through Bandcamp. I would say my favourite is probably the Joe Vann album 'For Everyone'. There's not a bad song on there and he has an interesting style. Notable mentions to the following -

*Dancer - 'As Well' EP. 

*Tofusmell - 'Humor' EP.

*Beach Vacation - 'Coping Habits'

*Nation Of Language - 'Strange Disciple'

*Vacations - 'Close Quarters' EP

Edited by 50/50 Winner 2.0