Arbroath vs Dunfermline - Sat 23rd December 🎅🏻

What better way to spend the Saturday before Christmas than watching Arbroath and Dunfermline attempt to play a game of second tier Scottish football?!

Arbroath finally ended their losing run with an impressive victory up at Inverness while we went down to a self-inflicted loss against Partick Thistle.

Our inconsistency is best highlighted by our record so far of six wins, three draws and six defeats. Utterly average, forgettable mid-table stuff but in this high-octane division, that could be enough for play-off football!

However, despite sitting 4th, we are only six points clear of the bottom two and need to focus firstly on increasing that gap as much as possible over the next month or so.

Just two games left until we can try to add to the squad in January…

In the home game Arbroath were absolutely awful, low on confidence couldn’t pick a pass, randomly hitting the ball out of play etc. 

I genuinely want McIntyre to succeed in management, he’s given me the best memories of being a pars fan, but if he can get his players back to that for Saturday I’ll be delighted.

Glad we’ve not got a midweek game for this hopefully get more of the squad back for this tob suspension and Dow might make this. 

yesterday’s result will have done wonders for us so here’s hoping we can pick up another result and keep the momentum going 

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Should only be a 1 game suspension 

Great news but I suppose the question is who drops out / what is McIntyre like in regards to a situation like this? 

For me Tam comes back into the team but there were no failures on Saturday 

Options are

- Norey out of the team and Steele to right back 

- don’t think Slater, Gold or Hylton would be in contention to come out of the side but potentially Lyon / McIntosh out of the team and Stewart to right midfield, Hamilton left back and ToB into there 

Think it is going to be one of they 2 and I think it would be harsh on anyone dropping out. Norey was excellent and Lyon was very good too.

You’ll notice for the second goal that Slater and Gold kind of had the freedom to run and move around everywhere while Lyon never moved and just sat in. He was great in there too. 

Will be interesting to see how it pans out and what he does. I definitely feel like the team looks much more organised now and I think there is a noticeable difference in having some controlled possession and trying to move that way up the park. 

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Watching highlights of Dunfermline game on Saturday there - do Dunfermline not have any centre halves? 

We've had a conveyor belt of injuries all season, especially at CB. 

On Saturday we started with Fisher, Hamilton and Otoo in a back three. Fisher went off with a head knock in the first half so Comrie came in. 

Of those Fisher is definitely a CB, Hamilton as you'll know is a midfielder, Otoo was signed as a CB (and I think he's brilliant on the left of a back three) but McPake seems to see him more as a midfielder, and Comrie is a RB. 

We've had a cobbled together back line for the last couple of months but tbh they've done pretty well. Despite his size Hamilton has been really good in there. As you'll have seen in the highlights the two goals were shockers from corners but we looked fine on the whole from open play. 

Benedictus and Breen will hopefully be back for Saturday, and hopefully Fisher too as it didn't look too serious at the time. 

1 minute ago, par-adise said:

We've had a conveyor belt of injuries all season, especially at CB. 

On Saturday we started with Fisher, Hamilton and Otoo in a back three. Fisher went off with a head knock in the first half so Comrie came in. 

Of those Fisher is definitely a CB, Hamilton as you'll know is a midfielder, Otoo was signed as a CB (and I think he's brilliant on the left of a back three) but McPake seems to see him more as a midfielder, and Comrie is a RB. 

We've had a cobbled together back line for the last couple of months but tbh they've done pretty well. Despite his size Hamilton has been really good in there. As you'll have seen in the highlights the two goals were shockers from corners but we looked fine on the whole from open play. 

Benedictus and Breen will hopefully be back for Saturday, and hopefully Fisher too as it didn't look too serious at the time. 

Yeah went and checked the line up after I posted and found it a pretty unusual line up - not often you’ll see a back 3 in this league that are all pretty small guys. Hamilton size is definitely not an issue though he’s really good in the air considering, a wee bit like Ricky Little.

Will be interesting to see what like on Saturday if it is Comrie, Otoo and wee Hammy there again. 

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Is ToB back then or suspended two games? 

Difficult decision for management as the fringe players have done so well and the team look very settled.

However, ToB is a key player and class act - so not an easy call to make.

I am thinking maybe go with the same starting 11 - but thats a nice headache for the manager to have !

Whatever the line up, I think we will be giving Dunfermline a much harder match this Saturday - and it's a game we can win.

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah went and checked the line up after I posted and found it a pretty unusual line up - not often you’ll see a back 3 in this league that are all pretty small guys. Hamilton size is definitely not an issue though he’s really good in the air considering, a wee bit like Ricky Little.

Will be interesting to see what like on Saturday if it is Comrie, Otoo and wee Hammy there again. 

Ricky Little is indeed small for a CB at 5’10” and he is very good in the air for his height. You sometimes see him struggle against very tall strikers. 
Chris Hamilton is 5’8” and although good in the air for his height I’d be terrified to have him play for us at CB. Maybe it works in a 3. From what I recall he competed well in the air in midfield, but usually just managed enough to stop the opponent getting a clean header. 

But I’m the only Arbroath fan who wasn’t a huge wee Hammy fan. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Wee hammy absolutely bullied bird a few week back. Really like him as a player solid 7/8 out of 10 every week. 

I'm absolutely tempting fate here....

But that performance by Bird was as gutless as I've seen at this level, just simply didn't fancy it.