Rovers v Lichties - 30 Dec, 2023

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There was actually no way a sixth yellow could have put Byrne out for the Pars. A sixth yellow against Arbroath would have had him missing the Airdrie match, because the Pars match isn’t at least 7 days after the sixth yellow…and a yellow against Ayr results in, as we see, a miss vs Arbroath.

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

I expect Turan to replace the suspended Bird. A massive ask for us to even get a point out of this game. 

That's how I see it.  I imagine McIntyre would want to keep the line up as stable as possible so the players get used to how he wants to play, so straight swap with Turan in for Bird.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

There was actually no way a sixth yellow could have put Byrne out for the Pars. A sixth yellow against Arbroath would have had him missing the Airdrie match, because the Pars match isn’t at least 7 days after the sixth yellow…and a yellow against Ayr results in, as we see, a miss vs Arbroath.

Probably more important that he doesn't miss the Airdrie game considering we haven't beaten them in the two games we've played so far. 

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Probably more important that he doesn't miss the Airdrie game considering we haven't beaten them in the two games we've played so far. 

You could argue he already played 90 minutes in both matches…maybe…just saying, but there’s a number of other players in the same boat. Byrne, Murray, Brown, Dick, Mullin and Stanton started both Airdrie matches.

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You could argue he already played 90 minutes in both matches…maybe…just saying, but there’s a number of other players in the same boat. Byrne, Murray, Brown, Dick, Mullin and Stanton started both Airdrie matches.

Not the point I was getting at tx. It's important to have one of our best players this season available for a game where we will need him. 

Just now, grumswall said:

Not the point I was getting at tx. It's important to have one of our best players this season available for a game where we will need him. 

I was only somewhat kidding. We’ve drawn and lost to Airdrie using both our 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-3-2. Brown, Murray, Dick and Byrne all featured in the defending of those matches. That’s not blaming them, but simply asking if we shouldn’t try something a little different. If we’d looked like winning either of them, I’d chalk it up to the perversity of luck, but there might be something to be found in a little adjustment. If we are indeed missing Stanton for a wee while, and our midfield play needs adjusted, we likely need Brown in there at DM with Byrne, so we’d see Corr or Masson come in unless we’ve extended O’Reilly. Hopefully that youth/speed would be what was missing from Brown/Murray and Watson/Murray before. The other question is do we possibly need Hannah or McGill over Dick to provide a threat down the left, because maybe that lack of a threat was a factor too?

But that’s for the Airdrie thread , back to Arbroath.

Bird being out certainly helps us, but we’re all feeling it’s likely that Stanton at least rests for this match, so how do we adapt? As above, we probably need 2 DM’s, so is Matthews ready to start? The podcast crew mentioned how Byrne looked a bit lost without Stanton, so if we roll out Brown and Matthews at DM for this match, I could see there being some really teething issues since Brown hasn’t played at DM in a while, and Matthews has been out a solid year. Could we perhaps plug McGill in for Byrne, move Brown forward and slot in Corr/Masson? But then we lose one of Vaughan or Hamilton up top…

46 minutes ago, lellywong said:

What's happened to O'Reilly, decent enough player but disappeared after the Arbroath game??🙄

Brown was brought back in for the United game and we kept a clean sheet. I'd imagine Murray didn't want to disrupt the back line due to that but it  obviously didn't go to plan vs Ayr. Imagine that he'll be back in defence for this.