What does your team need in the January transfer window?

This is a fun little thread for supporters of all 10 teams in League 2: what areas does your side need to strengthen in the upcoming transfer window?

(I know that the "transfer window" doesn't necessarily matter at this level, given loans and free transfers can take place all the way up until the end of February, but still!)

I think my team, Stenhousemuir, need to bring in another centre-forward and cover at left-back. They already have loan players in situ in both positions - Mark Ferrie and Marley Sweenie-Rowe - but neither have really impressed in their limited game time and both should return to their parent clubs next week. (There's a rumour that Ferrie might be kept on for the remainder of the season but I'm not sure if that's cast iron or just street talk.)

We've also needed reinforcements in midfield after Danny Jardine left the club and it's good to see Edinburgh City's Kyle Jacobs signed up. Although Mikey Anderson and Nat Wedderburn are playing well together, "the time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining" and all that!

Clyde need to address issues in the following positions:

Goalkeeper

Full Back (both sides)

Lee Hamilton is a good addition at Centre Half.

Centre Midfield

Wide Midfield (if McCall is planning on playing a formation with wingers)

Centre Forward

Apart from that the squad’s in great shape! Certainly sounds like January will be a busy month for the club and I’m trying desperately not to get my hopes up too much as I’ll only be bitterly disappointed.

Goalkeeper and left back are priority areas for us, if Hynes goes into right back he is fine there but probably need a bit more cover. 

Already 2 out the door, and McCalls had long enough to work everyone out. Expect at least 4 or 5 out and the same in, maybe even more. 

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

what areas does your side need to strengthen in the upcoming transfer window?

Clyde have Lee Hamilton signed up, so that means we only need another 22 players of at least League 2 quality. 

In all seriousness, I’m serious. Expecting McCall to facilitate a lot of movement.

Clyde fans have been told to expect at least half a dozen incomings, and were assured that there was a keen sense of urgency with regards to getting much of the business done as early in January as possible. It'll be really interesting to see what the approach is; will they be decent, experienced League Two level players to keep us afloat, like the Declan Byrnes that higher-ups are looking to trim from their squads, or will they be big signings that could meet McCall's ambitions of a promotion tilt next season? Even as few as three high quality signings in key areas (between the sticks, left back, central midfield) would probably be enough for us to fairly comfortably pull clear of the trapdoor, so it's giddily exciting to know we are likely to see twice as many incomings.

Elgin could do with improving a few areas:

- A central midfielder

- At least one striker

- (Maybe) a winger

- (Maybe) a centre back

One area we ought to improve/deepen our options in is the central midfield. While Russell Dingwall was out, we were usually putting out a three man midfield of Brian Cameron, Rory MacEwan and Ryan MacLeman. This came to be quite an effective trio, but Dingwall’s return to fitness meant changes would happen. All four were accommodated in the home defeat to the Spartans, but MacLeman was shunted out wide where he unfortunately had a poor game. It was a real shame as he’d come on leaps and bounds in the past month or two, but he was dropped for the Stenny game last Saturday. The majority of the time, Cameron and MacEwan are putting in a good shift so to drop any of the three of them upon Dingwall’s return is harsh but to be expected. We only have those four and Kenny MacInnes but with Kenny rarely getting more than ten minutes (and usually being an unused sub) and his contract being up in the summer, we may well let him go before the end of the season, so a new central midfielder in January must be on the list. If any of the four regulars get injured we’ll have serious depth issues for finishing the season.

Our strikers goal tallies speak for themselves. I’ve advocated Barron getting more gametime and although I identified a loan striker we’ve had before that I’d like to join him, a more experienced head is a better idea. If Shane Sutherland is fit to play, I’d like us to sort a short term deal for him.

We don’t have many wingers so I’d expect Hale may have a look at that too. Our formations haven’t really required one this season but with Matt Jamieson only returning to the team this month after being out since July has meant we haven’t really used wingers in the traditional sense as Mitchell Taylor has been playing full back/wing back as he’s done a lot better there, and Liam Harvey is usually up front.  We haven’t really had any choice but to go with no out and out wingers.

The centre back issue. We currently have four (Ross Draper’s best position is there nowadays and he should not be put in midfield), but Jake Dolzanski and Ross Draper both pick up a boat load of bookings and have both missed games this month due to yellow card accumulation. Considering our other two centre backs are (I believe) 18 and 17, leaving the central defence to two players in their first season of SPFL football isn’t ideal (although Connall Ewan has had a good season, and plays like someone far beyond 17 years of age). Blair McKenzie hasn’t overly impressed so far, but I’m willing to partially put that down to the fact that he’s used to playing out from the back and it isn’t something Elgin really do. We attempted it in the early days with Draper but he realised it wasn’t working and over Barry Smith’s time in charge and Draper’s caretaker spell in November we ditched it for a more direct approach. McKenzie himself said in program notes he’d been more used to playing it out from the back in his youth career so it was something different he was going to have to adapt to with Elgin. Connall has had a season in the highland league before this season and looks all the better for it. So another centre back, and one who’s at least a few years into their senior career should be on the list. Though I’m not holding my breath on someone wanting to be mostly a bench player until Ewan’s loan expires in the summer as we shouldn’t be dropping him.

Edited by CrispyMelon

Unlike a few previous January windows, I don't think we need surgery. But we do need a few additions; namely a goalkeeper (because only having one signed who isn't broken is a bad idea) and a centre-half. Ideally one who can fill in on the left-side of defence if needed.

I'd also like to see us try and add a striker; possibly moreso than a winger. If Michael Ruth ever gets injured then we really are in bother; Declan Byrne is made out of glass and has scored once in the last year. Ross MacLean blows cold far more often than he blows hot. Ryan Wallace can't play the way we have Ruth playing (and is far better deeper) and Jinky Hilton likewise.

Faz had said on the radio at the weekend that there might be a few outgoings. And I'm interested to see who they are. Ross MacLean is under contract for 18 more months. I think he's a good player (he destroyed Stenhousemuir in August) but he looks like someone who has lost his way a wee bit. I'm wondering if a loan spell somewhere (and Forfar came to mind straight away given the McKinnon connection and their lack of attacking threats) could do him some good if we were able to get someone else in.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Declan Byrne move on. I think when he's fit and firing that he's a very handy player at this level. But he's barely been fit since last summer, and he's only playing a handful of minutes here and there. Which probably suits nobody.

I spoke to Callum Wilson last week and he's hoping to be back in training in January, which would be a big boost. He looked good against us for Albion Rovers, and will be effectively a new signing in late January/February if he can get himself up to fitness and sharpness. He's also versatile which could be handy when injuries and fixture backlogs start to bite.

Faz is normally pretty good at getting decent players into the club, so fingers crossed he can do the business. Although our last two marquee January additions (Rusty McLean and Joshua Oyinsan) haven't exactly had the impact we hoped for.

I think Ferrie will stay on for the rest of the season. Sweetie-Rowe I suspect will go back to Dundee and I am not sure Mackay will be retained, but could be wrong. We also have Kirkpatrick to come back into the squad at some point.

So with that, cover at left full back and someone to challenge Aitken. The loan market lasts beyond January so I wouldn’t be surprised if we hang off in case we need cover for specific injuries.

4 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I think Ferrie will stay on for the rest of the season. Sweetie-Rowe I suspect will go back to Dundee and I am not sure Mackay will be retained, but could be wrong. We also have Kirkpatrick to come back into the squad at some point.

So with that, cover at left full back and someone to challenge Aitken. The loan market lasts beyond January so I wouldn’t be surprised if we hang off in case we need cover for specific injuries.

I completely forgot Jordan Kirkpatrick was still a Stenhousemuir player. I can see him being "mutually consented" in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Ok for East Fife we need a  left  back  and a central midfielder in the mould of Alex Ferguson.

More importantly we need a  manager who has a game-plan, can motivate and organise the team. Current manager is not upto the task.

Think we need a new manager before making any signings first.

21 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Unlike a few previous January windows, I don't think we need surgery. But we do need a few additions; namely a goalkeeper (because only having one signed who isn't broken is a bad idea) and a centre-half. Ideally one who can fill in on the left-side of defence if needed.

Given that we will now have about 7 Centre Halfs at the Club,  there will be a few punted in January. With Peter Grant appearing to have done well for you last time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Dumbarton on loan (or even on a permanent deal). 

1 hour ago, macclyde+ said:

Given that we will now have about 7 Centre Halfs at the Club,  there will be a few punted in January. With Peter Grant appearing to have done well for you last time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Dumbarton on loan (or even on a permanent deal). 

You know, I was thinking exactly that when I saw Clyde had signed Howie last night. Imagine a back three of Grant, Crighton and Durnan. The three most solid heads in the SPFL. Not a single high ball getting near the edge of the box. But being completely exposed by anyone with the slightest turn of pace :lol: