Stranraer -vs- Dumbarton - The Aggy Derby

Can Dumbarton win twice at Stair Park in a year for the first time ever (I think), or will the Blues get revenge for their 3-1 defeat at The Rock in October? A result that really kickstarted Sons' season.

I was down south that weekend so Stranraer are the only team I've yet to see in the league this season, but from the (excellent) highlights they look like a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde side. Capable of blowing teams away (as they did with Bonnyrigg a few weeks ago, and Peterhead early in the season when the margin of victory should've been greater) but also capable of being turned over - with their lack of squad depth exposed.

I've seen us blown away at Stair Park enough to be nervous ahead of this one. Albeit I'm travelling knowing there should be goals at both ends, so hopefully it'll be good fun - and we leave with three points to make up for last week's disappointment.

I'm really hopeful that Mark Durnan will be able to start here. And Faz said that Carlo Pignatiello should be fit to play, which would be a huge boost. We badly missed his composure at both ends of the park last weekend. Hopefully Kalvin Orsi has got over the knock that forced him off last week as well.

I think Faz also has a decision to make on Ryan Wallace. He's been excellent this season, and made a huge impact last week off the bench. But he lost his place to another ex-Blue, Jinky Hilton, who was was unplayable at Forfar and had a tidy game in horrendous conditions last week. I'm not sure he deserves to drop out, but I also think Wallace should be starting. How do we squeeze them both in? I've no idea.

In an ideal world I think I'd see us line up like this:

Harry Broun

Carlo Pignatiello Sean Crighton Mark Durnan Matty Shiels

Kalvin Orsi Blair Malcolm Finlay Gray Tony Wallace

Ryan Wallace/Jinky Hilton

Michael Ruth

Subs: Paddy O'Neil, Aron Lynas, Ryan Blair, Div Wilson, Declan Byrne, Luca Vata and one of Hilton/Wallace.

Faz is paid the big bucks to pick a team, not me. So he can decide on the Jinky/Wallace situation. If Kalvin is out however, maybe we could play Hilton wide? Can he do a job there, Stranraer lads? I can't see it being his best position, but I'd fancy him to offer a bit more than an out-of-form Ross MacLean - especially in terms of his quality on the ball when it comes to set plays.

I've no idea how this will go. Maybe 3-3? Or 3-2 either way?

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To be honest I'd now introduce Luca Vata ahead of Ross McLean.

And another thing, a heretical one.  Am I the only person who thinks that Tony Wallace isn't currently contributing enough in open play ?

Reveal hidden contents

And before anyone starts quoting goal stats, well just answer the question.

I think Wallace has been fine. He does make errors in possession but overall I think he offers us a fairly stable option on that side of the pitch. I do understand Farrell wanting another wide option but I also believe we have far more pressing issues than that.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To be honest I'd now introduce Luca Vata ahead of Ross McLean.

And another thing, a heretical one.  Am I the only person who thinks that Tony Wallace isn't currently contributing enough in open play ?

Reveal hidden contents

And before anyone starts quoting goal stats, well just answer the question.

Wallace is a bit unconventional in terms of being a winger but I think he does a decent job.

One guy who needs to up his game a bit for me is Blair Malcolm. I actually really like what he brings to the team but he seems to have developed a bad trait of being extremely sloppy in possession in recent weeks.

Wish we had those choices to pick from jeez. Tiny squad to pick from all season due to various players out for long spells. Usual lack of cover this Saturday. Just need to wait and see. Horrific conditions forecast. Heavy park and windy. Oh well a trip back doon hame on the A77 might be a late decision. On our day we can be decent but Dumbarton have to be big favourites.

Edited by Blue1870

13 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Wallace is a bit unconventional in terms of being a winger but I think he does a decent job.

One guy who needs to up his game a bit for me is Blair Malcolm. I actually really like what he brings to the team but he seems to have developed a bad trait of being extremely sloppy in possession in recent weeks.

Aye, I agree on both counts. I don't see a better option for wide on the left that Tony at the moment. He wasn't great against Clyde, but had a really good game up at Forfar a week earlier. I think a lot of what he does goes under the radar; clever wee things like the quick throw-in against Annan for Ryan Wallace's goal and the way he can slow play down like a target man - but out wide. He's got a cracking football brain for this level; and you know every week that he's going to create two good chances and have two good chances of his own. Even if he'll spend the rest of the game driving you mad.

I thought Blair Malcolm was poor in the Stenny game in his use of the ball, and exactly the same last week against Clyde. He's excellent at winning the ball back, but when he gets it then a lot of the time it's a shanked pass back to the opposition - or straight out of play. I'd be telling him to win it back and just pass it to whoever is closest to him if I was Faz. Like Kevin Nicol did with Aggy.

10 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Wish we had those choices to pick from jeez. Tiny squad to pick from all season due to various players out for long spells. Usual lack of cover this Saturday. Just need to wait and see. Horrific conditions forecast. Heavy park and windy. Oh well a trip back doon hame on the A77 might be a late decision. On our day we can be decent but Dumbarton have to be big favourites.

How does Stair Park normally cope with the rain? Looks like a serious downpour will whack the area between about 11 and 1 if the Met Office is to be believed.

So what do we do ?  Leave Shiels alongside Crighton with Ryan Blair at LB and lose out on Matty's forward runs, or withdraw Blair Malcolm from midfield to CD with Blair on the bench and Ryan Wallace in the starting eleven ?  Do we retain Aron Lynas and place Carlo in the Orsi role, or restore him to wing-back with Jinky playing wide as Jan has suggested ?  

Decisions, decisions, but I'd prioritise bold football over timidity.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So what do we do ?  Leave Shiels alongside Crighton with Ryan Blair at LB and lose out on Matty's forward runs, or withdraw Blair Malcolm from midfield to CD with Blair on the bench and Ryan Wallace in the starting eleven ?  Do we retain Aron Lynas and place Carlo in the Orsi role, or restore him to wing-back with Jinky playing wide as Jan has suggested ?  

Decisions, decisions, but I'd prioritise bold football over timidity.

As many round pegs in round holes as possible I reckon. If we can have both full-backs playing at full-back, then that's good news for us defensively and offensively.

Harry Broun

Carlo Pignatiello Aron Lynas Sean Crighton Matty Shiels

Jinky Hilton Finlay Gray Blair Malcolm Tony Wallace

Ryan Wallace

Michael Ruth

If Jinky is a disaster out wide then we could always move him inside and put Finlay Gray out there for a wee bit. I don't think it's his best position at all; however he can A) run very quickly and B) Cross a ball quite effectively which are the two most important bits of being a winger I suppose.

Aye, that team news is honking. I'm a little bit relieved I can't make it down for this now. I reckon more or less what Jan has put line up wise. Very little options on the bench and things but needs must, I'm afraid.

I do wonder if he would put Malcolm on the wing and leave Jinky in the middle. It's not my idea, but I know he played in a wider role fairly often when he was at the Wee Rovers. I just hope he doesn't move Carlo up one to put Malcolm in at full back. I totally agree that we need our best full backs in those positions because they are key to what we do going forward and at the back.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And I see Chris Johnston recently joined Stranraer.....

Aye, you’d have thought they’d just signed prime Dominic Thomas the way their Twitter admin was going on! I’d assume he wont be able to play for them until after the 1st of January.

12 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Serious question - is Ben Armour fit to play tomorrow ?

And I see Chris Johnston recently joined Stranraer.....

We've not had Armour or Orr available for 5 weeks or so. Long term injuries. Orr made a return to the bench last week. Armour maybe still a couple of week away. Chris Johnston not available till January games.

21 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Aye, I agree on both counts. I don't see a better option for wide on the left that Tony at the moment. He wasn't great against Clyde, but had a really good game up at Forfar a week earlier. I think a lot of what he does goes under the radar; clever wee things like the quick throw-in against Annan for Ryan Wallace's goal and the way he can slow play down like a target man - but out wide. He's got a cracking football brain for this level; and you know every week that he's going to create two good chances and have two good chances of his own. Even if he'll spend the rest of the game driving you mad.

I thought Blair Malcolm was poor in the Stenny game in his use of the ball, and exactly the same last week against Clyde. He's excellent at winning the ball back, but when he gets it then a lot of the time it's a shanked pass back to the opposition - or straight out of play. I'd be telling him to win it back and just pass it to whoever is closest to him if I was Faz. Like Kevin Nicol did with Aggy.

How does Stair Park normally cope with the rain? Looks like a serious downpour will whack the area between about 11 and 1 if the Met Office is to be believed.

It can usually take the rain better these days. However it then becomes a mud bath. The wind actually looks like more of a problem.

3 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

It can usually take the rain better these days. However it then becomes a mud bath. The wind actually looks like more of a problem.

If the BBC is to be believed then the 50mph(!!!) winds should have calmed down to a a far more moderate 16mph by kick off.

Hopefully that's accurate. I can't be doing with another game like last week that's totally ruined by the wind. Nothing spoils a game more.