Stoppable Force vs Moveable Object (Motherwell - Livi)

Bizarrely more sure than at any point in the last three months that we'd be as well getting rid of Kettlewell, but can see why he's earned himself a bit of time.

That was absolute torture today in the second half. Absolutely no ambition to do anything against the shitest team in the league. Bair's second was a beauty but Livi absolutely gifted us the three points today, for me. There was a huge opportunity to build some confidence today but our manager and our captain seemed only to want to shit fest it when it came to it in the second half. 

Also left wondering how McGinn is back fit and Spencer is starting and O'Donnell is still starting. Another senior player who's just showed so little in the way of leadership on the pitch. At least from the stands anyway. 

Left without too much to be optimistic about despite the win today. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Edited by gary_411

The first half today was excellent, maybe says mor about Livi than us. We were getting forward on both flanks, pressing high and looked really dangerous.

Second half was a non-event. Livi had a few shots from the edge of the box but otherwise it was a total shitfest.

I'm not going to pretend I was a fan of signing Bair but it was quickly apparent to me that the guy is a very hard worker and had more going for him than other options.

You have to wonder if Martindale will last much longer. 

30 minutes ago, gary_411 said:

There was a huge opportunity to build some confidence today but our manager and our captain seemed only to want to shit fest it when it came to it in the second half. 

My thoughts exactly. After our second goal I thought we were finally putting in a big performance, so much so I even considered heading through to Easter Road on Tuesday to show some solidarity and appreciation. That second half was among the worse this season and it really feels like we're no further forward. 

9 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

He went with this today @Livi, worked a treat.

Tbf after we switched to the 4-4-2 we looked very slightly better. 

Just a shame he's intent on starting 5 at the back and the tactic being to hoof it in the general direction of Guthrie, hadn't worked for months but maybe next time. 

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Tbf after we switched to the 4-4-2 we looked very slightly better. 

Just a shame he's intent on starting 5 at the back and the tactic being to hoof it in the general direction of Guthrie, hadn't worked for months but maybe next time. 

I think Carson had it right and it was the 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 from the off. Nouble and Penrice were pushing far higher on the left than Montaño and Nottingham on the right, so that lop-sidedness might've obscured things a bit.

Whatever it was, that it failed entirely is all that matters now.

Edit: Martindale said in his match review he did start with a back three but made an early change to a back four when it was still 0-0.

Edited by Freedom Farter

We did look like it was maybe going to click for us after going 2 up. Theloneus' second to make it 3-1 was sublime. That second half was some of the worst football I've seen in years from everybody involved, though. 

Happy we won but it was still a tactical tombola and I hope we never play that 2 man midfield ever again.