Anderson declares for Scotland

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

"It was tough as I'm Scottish and English."

Fair enough, not an easy decision to make. Livramento was in the England squad, Gordon has played for them already.

Just need Barnes to get a cap and we can forget this whole sorry episode every happened 

Barnes already has a cap. 

I’m very sceptical about our strategy of chasing these English born guys.  I’ve no real problem with them playing for Scotland if eligible, but seeing them coming thru the youth teams at Man Utd and then seeing they’re born in England you have to think that if they turn out to be someone great who could really improve our team, they’re probably gonna switch to England. 

13 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him play, don’t really watch English football. 

When you have guys like Saka and Grealish on the wings it’ll be a tough job for him to break in 

He's not really a winger as such. He can play anywhere along the attacking line. Was a forward early in his career, largely used on the wing for Newcastle, has been playing as a playmaker alongside Morgan Gibbs-White since moving to Forest a few weeks ago. They have Hudson-Odoi playing wider. Grealish isn't necessarily a winger either for that matter and played more central for England this week. Saka plays on the right generally and Anderson left so not really competing with each other.

You're right though. It's a horrendous area to try to break into an England side that already has Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Palmer, Gordon, Gibbs-White competing for those places. He's not getting an England senior cap any time soon.

At the end of the day, if Anderson wants to be considered English that's fine, it's up to him. His is a very odd case though and a bit annoying. As previously said, much as I'd have welcomed them with open arms, I never expected the likes of Livramento and Gordon or even Barnes to declare for us. They are English born and bred and would only ever come to us if they want to play international and accept they aren't going to play for England. The former two were never going to be in that boat. Barnes still might but the longer he leaves it the less likely he is to get called up anyway. Anderson though was Scottish through most of his youth career and within the SFA system. Something's gone badly amiss that he's actively deserted us in a way that McTominay never entertained doing. If the rumoured sweet chucking, bus incident is all it took to send him away then he's a pretty thin skinned individual who maybe wouldn't fit a squad anyway but there's been no indication coming out of his clubs that he's difficult. As I say, odd and annoying and so to a lesser extent is Hayden Hackney, though wouldn't be surprised to see him come back to us eventually. He's not getting in the senior England set up any time soon either.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

No fussed. Always want to get better players in the squad but if they don't want to be here then move on.

From his point of view i suppose it depends on his ambition and how he feels about his country. He's born and brought up in england. If he'd rather play 1 or 2 times or no times for England rather than a bunch for Scotland then that's up to him.

Personally if it were me If i had the chance of a cap for my country i'd stick to that. and if England or whoever tried to poach me i wouldn't be entertaining it.

On 11/09/2024 at 20:49, Binos said:

He'll get 3 caps

Oofft, really?? I think you'll be lucky to pick up 1. I can't see it.

20 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

No fussed. Always want to get better players in the squad but if they don't want to be here then move on.

From his point of view i suppose it depends on his ambition and how he feels about his country. He's born and brought up in england. If he'd rather play 1 or 2 times or no times for England rather than a bunch for Scotland then that's up to him.

Personally if it were me If i had the chance of a cap for my country i'd stick to that. and if England or whoever tried to poach me i wouldn't be entertaining it.

This is my feelings as well

I've more respect for someone that comes out and decides either way than those that sit on the fence until later in their career.  And to be honest, even those in the latter camp aren't much of a problem as long as they come in and actually seem to want to be there and give it their all.  There's an extra wrinkle with him seemingly wanting to be involved, then totally changing his mind, which is unfortunate, but he's come out and made his choice, good luck to him*.

* not good luck to him

36 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What was the story behind this?

Been discussed on here before and depends how reliable  you think @Barry Ferguson's Hat is as he repeated it.

Basically at the squad he was picked for he supposedly was running late for the bus to training from the hotel and wearing flip flops that were too big for him and struggling to rush for the bus. Bus driver pulled away from him as he reached it then stopped a few yards long the road and did the same thing a few times whilst Kenny McLean was throwing sweets at him through the open bus door from a packet he was eating. Anderson supposedly took the huff, decided he was injured and went back to Newcastle the next day never to be seen again.

It might be bollocks, it may be entirely true. Who knows?

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Been discussed on here before and depends how reliable  you think @Barry Ferguson's Hat is as he repeated it.

Basically at the squad he was picked for he supposedly was running late for the bus to training from the hotel and wearing flip flops that were too big for him and struggling to rush for the bus. Bus driver pulled away from him as he reached it then stopped a few yards long the road and did the same thing a few times whilst Kenny McLean was throwing sweets at him through the open bus door from a packet he was eating. Anderson supposedly took the huff, decided he was injured and went back to Newcastle the next day never to be seen again.

4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Not sure if you’re being serious tbh.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Not sure if you’re being serious tbh.

There is a guy on X/twitter who cycles about Glasgow and then posts an image of a Manhattan street with a post allong the following lines "been a while since I have cycled down Paisley Road West - almost unrecognisable". Then the comments follow with "there's the Grand Old Opry" and so forth. I used to think that was elite Facebook style posting until coming across the various levels of Facbook Da patter on here around Anderson ha

Edited by Pocketman

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Great story though even if or isn't true 

2 hours ago, Pocketman said:

There is a guy on X/twitter who cycles about Glasgow and then posts an image of a Manhattan street with a post allong the following lines "been a while since I have cycled down Paisley Road West - almost unrecognisable". Then the comments follow with "there's the Grand Old Opry" and so forth. I used to think that was elite Facebook style posting until coming across the various levels of Facbook Da patter on here around Anderson ha

Sounds like this should have been more of an inside thought, than a post.

But thanks for sharing 👍 

There was another story regarding Robertson and orhers at the time kicking about that may run alongside the slider and sweet story or it may be a separate incident altogether. 

It was something along the lines of Robertson, McGinn, McLean and I think another basically taking the piss out of him in training because he had been flip flopping between scotland and england and Anderson didn't feel very welcome so f**ked off.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

His work on here seems to fly under the radar. Big fan.

Has his finger on the pulse of unpopular opinions on P&B without ever quite crossing the line. Uncanny.

In my day, if an excitable kid came into the camp, the senior pros would kick the living crap out of him, bundle him into a van and chuck him into the sea. You just can't get away with that these days with the agents and the twitters.