Dundee FC vs St Johnstone - 02/01/2024

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Dundee fans acting billy big baws over fans of a part-time championship side… sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

You’re full time are you not?

Doesn’t quite work does it? ..  but nice try all the same.

We’re (one of) the teams that finish above you every season, remember? 😀

Just so I’ve got this straight…

Game vs Aberdeen called off 1hr prior to kickoff (after Dundee neglected to request official pitch inspection early on despite large patches of standing water) -definitely the referees fault for not allowing the groundstaff an extra 10 mins or so to work on the park. Ref needs to be punted back to the ammies. 

Game vs St Johnstone called off first thing in the morning, despite no further rain after about 10am, allowing several hours to work on the pitch - just one of those unfortunate things that happens to everyone*. No further action required. 

* Everyone whose ground is an absolute shit-tip, with zero maintenance carried out BeCaUsE We’Re MoViNg To A NeW GrOuNd AnY DaY Now…

11 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Game vs Aberdeen called off 1hr prior to kickoff (after Dundee neglected to request official pitch inspection early on despite large patches of standing water) -definitely the referees fault for not allowing the groundstaff an extra 10 mins or so to work on the park. Ref needs to be punted back to the ammies. 

Game vs St Johnstone called off first thing in the morning, despite no further rain after about 10am, allowing several hours to work on the pitch - just one of those unfortunate things that happens to everyone*. No further action required. 

* Everyone whose ground is an absolute shit-tip, with zero maintenance carried out BeCaUsE We’Re MoViNg To A NeW GrOuNd AnY DaY Now…

Just we’ve all got this straight, you’ve got a diddy league forum to froth and foam away in

Off you trot

This thread is the most entertaining in a while.  We've had a man stuck on a train as the game was called off as soon as the doors shut, paper tickets seethe, a historical annual precipitation chart by month, drainage pipe loan requests, SEPA legality questions and of course,  Ganja chips from the Phoenix. Who said Scottish Football is rubbish? (It was Derek Adams)

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently Saints were told by Dundee at 9.30 that the game would go ahead, then heard nothing until being told it was postponed at 11.30

Just under 2000 tickets were sold.

Apparently...🤦

Maybe they should have checked social media. It was all over them just after 11.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lochee Park also hosting a game today.

16 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Which one of us has a functional pitch with actual drainage?

Fine for a bunch of donkeys to kick a ball about on maybe.  

I'm not really understanding why people are using the comparison of Lochee United pitch and Arbroath game being on. Problems with land are localised and neighbouring land can have distinctly different conditions/issues. It was battering down in Dundee from midnight onwards until around 10/10.30. It isn't excuses but it's context as to why what happened, happened. The UK as a whole is getting battered by storms on what seems a daily basis right now. Roads closed consistently etc.

Does it leave me a little bit red-faced that we have had two games called off in quick succession? Yes. Should the club do something about it? Yes.

A little bit too much bed wetting of a response on here to the game being called off, mind you. 

We'll just have to pump you fuckers another day.

It’s not just that the game was called off though, it’s the whole tinpot way Dundee FC is run. 

Paper only tickets 

Cash only kiosks

Game called off despite the weather not being anything out of the ordinary for a Scottish winter.  

Many people, myself included, had taken the day off work and paid one of the highest prices in the SPFL to go to a game which ultimately was called off hours before kick off. Just not good enough for a club in the top tier of Scottish football.  Saints staff had to come in on a day I’m sure they would rather have spent with their families to process paper tickets and then the game gets called off after a lot of fans had already set off for Dundee. Shambles and the club should be fined for the whole debacle and seriously get their house in order as it’s no way to run a club in the premiership.

More floods of Saintee tears.

The reality is that there has been localised flooding in and around Dundee since the end of October.  Drumgeith pitches are (yet again) under water and have not been clear of water since before Storm Babet - that's during the previous October holidays.  I don't ever remember it being flooded for as long. It's usually a few weeks maximum but clearly there are areas where the ground just isn't draining as quickly as normal.  The issue is not the pitch not coping with 10 hours of non-stop rain but that it is not getting any chance to drain before that.

The club has done work on the drainage and the pitch - the problem area used to be the corner of the ground - it now appears that there are issues elsewhere.  Not sure quite what can be done because there is also an issue locally with flooding of in the Dens Road area - a Victorian sewage system that can't cope with the runoff from the surrounding land.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

35 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

It’s not just that the game was called off though, it’s the whole tinpot way Dundee FC is run. 

Paper only tickets 

Cash only kiosks

Game called off despite the weather not being anything out of the ordinary for a Scottish winter.  

Many people, myself included, had taken the day off work and paid one of the highest prices in the SPFL to go to a game which ultimately was called off hours before kick off. Just not good enough for a club in the top tier of Scottish football.  Saints staff had to come in on a day I’m sure they would rather have spent with their families to process paper tickets and then the game gets called off after a lot of fans had already set off for Dundee. Shambles and the club should be fined for the whole debacle and seriously get their house in order as it’s no way to run a club in the premiership.

Sorry but the whole 'woe is me' tale just doesn't sit well with me. You see this sort of shite all over twitter 'oh are you going to refund my train tickets? Thought not?'.

You're an adult, you understand that there is a risk a game might not go ahead during a Scottish winter. We aren't the only club to have postponements over the last month. 

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Sorry but the whole 'woe is me' tale just doesn't sit well with me. You see this sort of shite all over twitter 'oh are you going to refund my train tickets? Thought not?'.

You're an adult, you understand that there is a risk a game might not go ahead during a Scottish winter. We aren't the only club to have postponements over the last month. 

How many games were called off yesterday in Scotland?? Of course I understand the risks and had it been particularly adverse weather nobody would have an issue with it. It wasn’t. Your pitch isn’t fit for the premiership or any other league for that matter. 

if you can buy players you can sort your pitch. End of. 

7 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

How many games were called off yesterday in Scotland?? Of course I understand the risks and had it been particularly adverse weather nobody would have an issue with it. It wasn’t. Your pitch isn’t fit for the premiership or any other league for that matter. 

if you can buy players you can sort your pitch. End of. 

It has been explained in this thread by other posters that they have tried to sort it at expense. If the issue is that bad then it may be a money pit. 

The only issue I have with this as a Dundee fan is that there is no real clarification on what it is that needs to be done. They would be best served putting something out there that explains it all. 

You also completely disregarded my point about localisation of land/site issues. I don't care whether Morton v Ayr was on because it isn't relevant to what is going on at Dens. 

It's frustrating for me as a fan and it should be sorted but what else do you want from that? Except for an unrealistic fine and points deduction that you lot seem to be pushing for.

Edited by Pens_Dark

15 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

The normal practice is to get a local referee to inspect - Dundee did this and he said it was playable. Munro turning up 75 minutes before kick off and then having zero consultation is the real issue.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Our pitch was awful last season but the club invested in it over the summer for this very reason. I understand the reluctance to invest when you’re moving site however it’s not good enough for this season and the club need to address it. How they do that is the clubs issue but fans and other teams are suffering as a result and rather than do something about it you’re hear calling anyone out for quite rightly being annoyed at what transpired yesterday in what was a completely avoidable event had the club taken necessary steps over the summer to sort the drainage out. 

Just now, lindz105 said:

Our pitch was awful last season but the club invested in it over the summer for this very reason. I understand the reluctance to invest when you’re moving site however it’s not good enough for this season and the club need to address it. How they do that is the clubs issue but fans and other teams are suffering as a result and rather than do something about it you’re hear calling anyone out for quite rightly being annoyed at what transpired yesterday in what was a completely avoidable event had the club taken necessary steps over the summer to sort the drainage out. 

The drainage system was upgraded  5 years ago due to drainage issues then and seemed to have overcome the problems at the corner of the ground.   The flooding that's happened this season is something new and in a completely different part of the pitch that was previously fine.

That being the case then I can’t see how Dundee will manage to squeeze in more inevitable call offs in an already overly busy schedule. Can’t be good for anyone. The club really need to look into steps to mitigate this to prevent further postponements even if that means digging deep into their pockets.  
Having been at the Georgia game at Hampden where freak weather was experienced and the game still went ahead then with the right resources and investment anything is possible but it seemed to me like Dundee did next to nothing to get the ground ready. Stand to be corrected on that point though as I don’t know how your club runs but even pushing the game back an hour or so didn’t seem to be an option. 

5 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

That being the case then I can’t see how Dundee will manage to squeeze in more inevitable call offs in an already overly busy schedule. Can’t be good for anyone. The club really need to look into steps to mitigate this to prevent further postponements even if that means digging deep into their pockets.  
Having been at the Georgia game at Hampden where freak weather was experienced and the game still went ahead then with the right resources and investment anything is possible but it seemed to me like Dundee did next to nothing to get the ground ready. Stand to be corrected on that point though as I don’t know how your club runs but even pushing the game back an hour or so didn’t seem to be an option. 

A game that should have been called off.

Personally I'd rather a game was called off well in advance instead of dragging things out.

The correct decision was to postpone.

I think you also do a complete disservice to the ground staff - do you expect them to be dealing with the pitch at one in the morning when the torrents started?

We've now got just over 4 weeks to our next home match on 3 February - I assume there will be work done on the pitch but the best thing would be a spell of drier weather - next week is forecast to be a lot drier so that will help significantly.