Willie Collum; good guy? complete dick? corrupt? / ..and should (Old Firm) clubs "have the power to ban him"?

Two sided poll - Willie Collum's decisions & club control over referees.  

292 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, so collum missed the handball but it was offside anyway. Like I said, this was obvious very quickly. Honestly who cares? 

I think we’re speaking of different things here. Collum never missed the hand ball, he deemed it not a clear and obvious error not to award a penalty. My point is that the on-field ref never seen the incident, so Collum’s decision was incorrect as there was no decision made for it not to be deemed clear and obvious.

This is essentially what I believe Rangers are getting at in terms of questioning his competence. But yes, overall it wouldn’t have been a penalty, but this was arrived at following an incorrect process. 

Rangers have been very clever here. Almost everyone has now forgotten that Rangers were deservedly beaten on the day, so the pressure has been taken off Clement. They know that officially Collum will not be taken off Rangers games, but they also know that because of their idiotic fanbase the SFA are unlikely to risk a serious incident involving Collum at any Rangers game in the near future, so they get their wish via the back door. A more horrific club is difficult to imagine.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think we’re speaking of different things here. Collum never missed the hand ball, he deemed it not a clear and obvious error not to award a penalty. My point is that the on-field ref never seen the incident, so Collum’s decision was incorrect as there was no decision made for it not to be deemed clear and obvious.

This is essentially what I believe Rangers are getting at in terms of questioning his competence. But yes, overall it wouldn’t have been a penalty, but this was arrived at following an incorrect process. 

That is what I’m saying. He got it wrong but it doesn’t matter anyway as it was offside. It’s an entirely trivial matter. A total non-incident. 

In the scores of decisions made in Scottish football this season, this one probably shouldn’t even register. And yet a week later here we are. Poisonous, poisonous stuff from your club again. 

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

My point is that the on-field ref never seen the incident, so Collum’s decision was incorrect as there was no decision made for it not to be deemed clear and obvious.

There obviously was a decision made. The decision was a goal kick.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

There obviously was a decision made. The decision was a goal kick.

Which means the on-field referee didn’t see the handball as Johnstone hit it last and it would therefore have been a corner if he didn’t deem it to be a handball. So maybe I should rephrase by saying there was no on-field decision made regarding potential handball.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That is what I’m saying. He got it wrong but it doesn’t matter anyway as it was offside. It’s an entirely trivial matter. A total non-incident. 

In the scores of decisions made in Scottish football this season, this one probably shouldn’t even register. And yet a week later here we are. Poisonous, poisonous stuff from your club again. 

Ah right, aye essentially we agree. What Rangers are practically doing is arguing “Collum would’ve denied us a potential penalty review wrongly (because the on-field referee didn’t see it) if there was no offside. But because there was an offside, it renders it a moot point.

Edited by AJF

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

Which means the on-field referee didn’t see the handball as Johnstone hit it last and it would therefore have been a corner if he didn’t deem it to be a handball. So maybe I should rephrase by saying there was no on-field decision made regarding potential handball.

Not sure why Rangers fans insist on spelling Johnston's name incorrectly.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure why Rangers fans insist on spelling Johnston's name incorrectly.

Jinky tried to correct me on it during the match thread so now I do it deliberately 

9 hours ago, bennett said:

celtic fans rushing to defend the sfa is proving his point for him.

This game seems to have broken you in some way as you are just seeing things that just aren’t there. 

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Of all the controversial decisions I can remember since Rangers came back up this has to be one of the least. It’s not at the point Rangers and their fans are upset that an on field review didn’t take place that would have ruled the pen out anyway.

I have a mate who I went to school with who is a SFA linesman who runs the line at Premier League matches. I was speaking to him on Thursday in the gym and of course this came up and he mentioned that even if VAR doesn’t call for an on field review they will generally do an APP check anyway after play has resumed, it’s part of the process and they will use the footage for training etc. 

So the notion that the APP check was done to cover tracks or because they then doubted the original decision is wrong.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Of all the controversial decisions I can remember since Rangers came back up this has to be one of the least. It’s not at the point Rangers and their fans are upset that an on field review didn’t take place that would have ruled the pen out anyway.

I have a mate who I went to school with who is a SFA linesman who runs the line at Premier League matches. I was speaking to him on Thursday in the gym and of course this came up and he mentioned that even if VAR doesn’t call for an on field review they will generally do an APP check anyway after play has resumed, it’s part of the process and they will use the footage for training etc. 

So the notion that the APP check was done to cover tracks or because they then doubted the original decision is wrong.

Jinkynory.