Willie Collum; good guy? complete dick? corrupt? / ..and should (Old Firm) clubs "have the power to ban him"?

Two sided poll - Willie Collum's decisions & club control over referees.  

292 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

So sorry who is paying for it? Who is going to pay to fly referees into Scotland every week?

Are you talking about just the referee or the entire referee squad including 4th official and VAR etc? 

Once again who is going to pay for this? Do you think the English FA or Premiership will pay for their referees to come to Scotland and also pay us to send them Wullie fucking Collum to replace those referees because our own referees aren’t good enough for us?

Really? That is your idea?

ETA - you seem to be indicating that Scotland is flush with cash. I don’t know what you’ve been smoking but it’s definitely not.  In case you missed it the big clubs, big leagues and UEFA aren’t too keen on sharing their wealth with the smaller countries? 

Right. It's all theoretical. It's not happening and probably won't happen. Relax.

I was suggesting the top flight of ALL countries should be payed for and officiated by FIFA. This would globally clear up football in the top flights and cup quarter, semi and finals.

Under that level, the status quo would resume. By all means have a Scottish official team in the championship. It would train the refs for when they are promoted to the big leagues of other nations.

I think it would be financially manageable and not as crazy as you think it sounds but hey, THEORETICAL.

From what I can gather, Rangers have been given access to the audio, collum has said he didn't think it was a pen (because that was his opinion) but IF he had referred Walsh to the monitor and IF Walsh thought it was a pen, it still wouldn't have been given because of an offside in the build up. 

We didn't get a pen that wasn't a pen never would've been a pen even if it was a pen but still we will moan about not getting a pen, that wasn't. 

Have I got it right?!?

7 hours ago, Crawford said:

Right. It's all theoretical. It's not happening and probably won't happen. Relax.

I was suggesting the top flight of ALL countries should be payed for and officiated by FIFA. This would globally clear up football in the top flights and cup quarter, semi and finals.

Under that level, the status quo would resume. By all means have a Scottish official team in the championship. It would train the refs for when they are promoted to the big leagues of other nations.

I think it would be financially manageable and not as crazy as you think it sounds but hey, THEORETICAL.

Of the things FIFA should be spending their money on, that's way down the list.

I think The Rangers are basically saying to the SFA “we don’t trust the integrity of one of your officials”.

They should have the book thrown at them by the SFA, but they won’t, because the SFA are shit scared at upsetting them. 
See 2012 for evidence. 

It would be great if the SFA do agree to The Rangers request. 

Then, I’d look to Aberdeen to say to the SFA we don’t want Beaton, Walsh, McLean, Dallas Aitken etc, or any other supporter of that abhorrent organisation formerly known as “Rangers”, or any subsequent Tribute Act, to officiate at an Aberdeen v The Rangers game.

Paraphrasing, I despise the SFA, but far more so, The Rangers FC, a disgusting organisation, from the very top, down to the very, VERY low, their fan base. 

8 hours ago, Crawford said:

I agree it's financially manageable but am not convinced it would alleviate the problem.  Deep down most of us will admit that refs tend to be more incompetent than biased so would that change if we bring in foreign refs, particularly as we'd likely get the poorer ones given our size/importance? 

As a Dee fan you are likely aware of Bob Valentine, a confirmed Arab if you're a Dee and a confirmed Dee if you're an Arab based on his derby performances.  (He was definitely an Arab b.t.w.).  Point is I suspect he was never guilty of bias, just human error from time-to-time.  

Possibly an answer is investing money in F/T refs. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I think The Rangers are basically saying to the SFA “we don’t trust the integrity of one of your officials”.

They should have the book thrown at them by the SFA, but they won’t, because the SFA are shit scared at upsetting them. 
See 2012 for evidence. 

It would be great if the SFA do agree to The Rangers request. 

Then, I’d look to Aberdeen to say to the SFA we don’t want Beaton, Walsh, McLean, Dallas Aitken etc, or any other supporter of that abhorrent organisation formerly known as “Rangers”, or any subsequent Tribute Act, to officiate at an Aberdeen v The Rangers game.

Paraphrasing, I despise the SFA, but far more so, The Rangers FC, a disgusting organisation, from the very top, down to the very, VERY low, their fan base. 

Basically the SFA need to take formal action here. Sevco are attacking the sports integrity and this needs action. 

There also desperately needs to be an effort to train and progress officials from a wider distribution across the country. There are far too many WOS officials. Between this and the media reporting bias the irony is the amount Sevco benefit from this. However, the other clubs should take the chance to promote the wider development of officials.

Poor refereeing isn’t a uniquely Scottish problem. Foreign refs being brought in on a large scale does not equate to better. We’ve had plenty of howlers in European fixtures. 

There probably needs to be an acceptance that it’s a really difficult job to do consistently well, and only appealing to a small demographic of people. That will lead to a pretty small talent pool of people who are able to deliver anything like the standard fans and managers etc demand, and even then it’s unlikely to be good enough. 

9 hours ago, Killiefan said:

Can’t be bothered reading previous pages but the solution is get the whinging, self entitled old firm to feck.

This is it exactly. The problem isn't Collum, Dallas (Andrew or Hugh), Tom Wharton, Bobby Davidson or Jack Mowat it is two clubs who, due to the fact that their support is almost exclusively made up of ill educated bigots, seem to think, indeed need to think, that referees  are either proddy dogs or cathy cats and thus officiate against them  accordingly. The SFA, The SPFL and all our clubs need to stand as one and accept that while our refs may be inept they are not biased. Any club that does not accept that should be thanked politely and invited to immediately seek another country in which to play their football.

22 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Collum isn't biased but he's arrogant, unpredictable and makes a decision too quickly.

All of the above are correct IMO but it’s the last one that stands out for me.

Referees used to have it drummed into them from the start (I assume it still is) that you don’t make impulsive decisions, rather you take a few seconds to consider what has happened, and what the correct decision should be before blowing your whistle or waving cards around.

Collum, unfortunately has never managed to do this.

11 hours ago, Crawford said:

"FIFA"? "Clean up football"?

Is that the same FIFA which has been immersed in corruption scandals for about two decades?

It’s funny to see Rangers constantly in this position of lashing out at anyone and anything. Instead of looking into the weak and loser mentality they have at the club, they continue blaming everything else.

Tbh I hope it continues. The day they have an internal review instead of an external review is when others may have to worry but that’s not likely any time soon. 

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

The “Old Firm” got to feck in 2012. 

Not sure if you noticed, but one of them was liquidated 

Yeah, but Scottish football then pretended it didn't happen. So there's still a team called Rangers* playing at Ibrox whilst up to their knees in blahblahblah, surrender or you'll die. 

The Old Firm are as Firmy as they've ever been. The current pantomime enrages both supports, which sells more season tickets. Win win. 

*They even changed the rules so they could keep the name and didn't need to copy Airdrie Utd or Gretna 2008.

36 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

"FIFA"? "Clean up football"?

Is that the same FIFA which has been immersed in corruption scandals for about two decades?

That's the one. Real statement of intent type stuff.