Cologne

qos_75

We gambled and booked Cologne (and Dusseldorf) before the draw, so got lucky with that.

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread specifically for Cologne related chat. 

We will be in the city for six nights. The football will play a big part of it. However, we will do a lot of tourist stuff in and around the city too. So any recommendations for things to see and do in Cologne would be welcome. 

Bars and restaurants will also feature highly, so feel free to post your recommendations for these as well.  

Are you going to Cologne during the Euros, and if so, what’s your plans? On the lash, or a bit of culture too?  

Edited by qos_75

5 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

If you like wine, the Ahr valley is close. Someone on here talked about it a few years ago and I ended up going and enjoying it. There were massive floods after that and a lot was destroyed, so not sure what like now, sorry!

A quick search suggests the wineries are still very much in business. That is a good call mate. I wilL look into that further - cheers. 

Plan to go to Cologne without tix but I have had a wee peek at TripAdvisor and Cologne city website, plenty to do.  Gonna be based in stuttgart so might take train to Switzerland ironically as it is a country I have never visited.

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I found the chocolate museum to be incredibly tedious, though it has quite a good rating on tripadvisor so it could just be me. Aside from that, get on the Kölsch. 

@Stellaboz! The fucking chocolate museum!

I was planning on posting a city guide for Cologne and Dusseldorf separately. Might still do if people don't mind, just need time.

Also, chocolate museum is fcking boring. Don't bother with it. Only reason to go is the view from on top of it which you don't need to enter for. Cnts.

Ahr Valley is beautiful, and is very much getting back on its feet from the flooding although it's got reminders everywhere. 

It's difficult to do eith public transport right now as the train line got completely destroyed. Rent a car if possible.

Mayschoss is my favourite place there. Small, pretty and has the huge wine shop. Recommend the camp site if you want to stay, they have static homes to rent 

Altenahr is also good, bigger and has choice of  restaurants. 

Went once before with friends who I've since drifted away from. I wish I could remember more about the city as I didn't spend a lot of time there and I'm planning to go and watch the Switzerland game in one of the fanzones. If I get a ticket, great - if I don't then I'm just happy to soak up the culture, atmosphere and lager.

My main memory of Cologne was watching the 2018 WC semi where Croatia beat England in extra time. Had to not go off my nut when the Croatians scored as one of the guys I was with was English and otherwise quite sound, and there was a homeless man who kept wandering in shouting "Turkish merda!" because for some reason the referee caught his ire. The Kolsch was decent, though.

Sunday will be no use as it's when we play in Stuttgart but that weekend the European Open in the darts is on in Leverkusen which isn't far for anyone interested. Slightly different day out to the recommendation above admittedly.

https://www.pdc-europe.tv/tournaments/european-darts-open-2024-leverkusen/

I fly into Cologne on the day of the Switzerland game so fingers crossed no delays.  Looks like the Belgian Quarter is the place for food n drink before and after the fan zone.  I managed to get tickets in the first ballot, shame it was for England Slovenia in Cologne and not our game, trying to get a swap🙄

Four of us (two Queens fans, two Clyde fans) staying in Bruhl, which looks to be on the edge of the city, but the transport links look quick and run all night. We booked it (and a place in Berlin) when things were starting to look good for qualification, and plumped for this one after the draw.

Hoping to see a bit of the area while we’re there, however there’s a game not too far away every day that we’re there (Slovakia v Playoff B, Italy v Spain, Belgium v Romania) and we’re in the ballot for tickets, so let’s see.

I stayed in Cologne for my first Scotland away game: the Christian Dailly ‘cheats fkn cheats’ game in 2003. Something quite fitting about coming back nearly 21 years later to finally see Scotland in the finals of a tournament.

On 14/01/2024 at 13:23, Pie Of The Month said:

Sunday will be no use as it's when we play in Stuttgart but that weekend the European Open in the darts is on in Leverkusen which isn't far for anyone interested. Slightly different day out to the recommendation above admittedly.

Yep, 6 of us booked for the Friday evening session. As if we will need another excuse for some beers!

35eur for table seats which was pretty good.

On 14/01/2024 at 13:23, Pie Of The Month said:

World Cup of Darts is on the week after at Frankfurt. 

• 2 months later...

Booked up to go to cologne from Tue-fri.

Been told the cathedral is worth seeing but will probably be more of just a 3 day sesh

What will the situation likely be with the fanzones? Will it be a mad scramble for tickets or plenty availability? Will they be on sale soon?

26 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Booked up to go to cologne from Tue-fri.

Been told the cathedral is worth seeing but will probably be more of just a 3 day sesh

What will the situation likely be with the fanzones? Will it be a mad scramble for tickets or plenty availability? Will they be on sale soon?

They're not being made ticketed but I'd expect the Heumarkt one to be utterly packed, especially for the opening and Swiss games.

I'm wanting to go to the on just the other side of the river.