Wildcard Weekend

lichtie23

I don't think any position has changed profile so much as TE. Used to be mainly 280llb guys who were crushing blockers but couldn't run, whereas now every team seems to have a 240llb guy who can't block for toffee but runs 4.5 40 with great hands. Basically oversized WR's who play on the end of the line. 

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't think any position has changed profile so much as TE. Used to be mainly 280llb guys who were crushing blockers but couldn't run, whereas now every team seems to have a 240llb guy who can't block for toffee but runs 4.5 40 with great hands. Basically oversized WR's who play on the end of the line. 

Give me Mark Bavaro anytime!!!!

Bavaro was the prototypical 80's/90's TE who could do it all. Keith Jackson was great anaw. Then Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzalez appeared, and teams stopped demanding that their TE's be able to block. It's why, even as a Chargers fan, I consider Jason Whitten the best TE I've seen play, and I don't consider Gates or Kelce to be in the same bracket. Gates played at 265llbs across the first half of his career and he was bloody quick at that size, but he wasn't much of an in-line blocker, and Kelce blocks like a 180llb WR, just isn't interested basically. 

Whitten was a superior blocker, and as good a receiving threat as any. The only recent guy who came close was Gronk, but he wasn't as durable, long-lived, and is an utter arsehole of a man to boot. Whitten all the way for me.