Returning players - better or worse?

17 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

A Dons returning XI. Looks like a Craig Brown team with the centre mids on the wing and the age most of them would’ve been when they came back. Hart and Derek Young probably the only two to be better second time around.

Leighton

Hart Anderson Taylor Hayes

Young Arnason Shinnie Clark

McGinn Booth

Nice idea.

This is about as balanced a Hearts XI as I can cobble together:

Gordon
McPherson Webster Berra
Stevenson Walker Stewart Bannon Skacel
Robertson Colquhoun 

Normally these things involve seeing the player on the way up and then seeing them on the way down

Availability bias then means that you most strongly remember the end of the first spell when they were approaching their peak and the end of their second spell when they're fading out.

Christophe Berra was probably almost as good during his second Hearts career 2017-21 as his first 2003-09 but that's not how it feels

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Normally these things involve seeing the player on the way up and then seeing them on the way down

Availability bias then means that you most strongly remember the end of the first spell when they were approaching their peak and the end of their second spell when they're fading out.

Christophe Berra was probably almost as good during his second Hearts career 2017-21 as his first 2003-09 but that's not how it feels

Up until the injury against Celtic Berra was miles better than his first spell IMO. And then unfortunately he was never the same after.

48 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Danny Swanson. Kept leaving. Kept regretting it.

The one thing I will say about the bold Danny was he went from a debut of getting dogs abuse and punted with snowballs by his own fans, to a standing ovation by everyone when he was leaving after that first spell. 

For Motherwell:

Twardzik
Grimshaw Aldred Craigan Hammell
Lasley O'Donnell Pearson
McFadden
Sutton McDonald

Twardzik is just about the lesser of two evils with Gunnar Nielsen and McFadden and Pearson's inclusions are based on their first returns. I think I started going just after Fraser Wishart's second spell, so that may give him the opportunity to replace Grimshaw.

Most of the players that return to us have been a lot worse than the very high bar they set when they left tbh.

Stokesy, cup winning hero legend and slayer of that club old and new is an exception.  Pat McGinley probably too. '

Murray, Riordan, O'Connor, Thomson, Whittaker, Sproule, Mixu probably not so much. 

11 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Most of the players that return to us have been a lot worse than the very high bar they set when they left tbh.

Stokesy, cup winning hero legend and slayer of that club old and new is an exception.  Pat McGinley probably too. '

Murray, Riordan, O'Connor, Thomson, Whittaker, Sproule, Mixu probably not so much. 

Surprised he ever left, given that he famously "just likes staying".

14 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Up until the injury against Celtic Berra was miles better than his first spell IMO. And then unfortunately he was never the same after.

Berra was a genuine Scottish football POTY contender in the 2017-18 season. I'm convinced if the team weren't utter pants and limped to a sixth-place finish he would've got a nomination at the very least. For context, we finished 24 points behind an Aberdeen side that was maybe the best non-Old Firm side of the past decade but conceded only two more goals (37-39).

'If a comet was headed for earth, Christophe Berra would head it away' etc etc.

A real shame what became of him after the injury in that Celtic game. Even though it wasn't an ACL or Achilles, it clearly finished him as a player at the top-flight level, and I've barely seen an injury transform a player negatively so much this century.

As for the theme of this thread in general, Skacel was the first name which came to my head. A hero in his first spell, a proper club legend in his second. As someone already mentioned, that St Mirren game will forever stay with me. 1-0 down, reduced to ten men, win 5-2 because he scored a hat-trick FROM OUTSIDE THE BOX! Mental.

3 hours ago, CraigFowler said:

Berra was a genuine Scottish football POTY contender in the 2017-18 season. I'm convinced if the team weren't utter pants and limped to a sixth-place finish he would've got a nomination at the very least. For context, we finished 24 points behind an Aberdeen side that was maybe the best non-Old Firm side of the past decade but conceded only two more goals (37-39).

'If a comet was headed for earth, Christophe Berra would head it away' etc etc.

A real shame what became of him after the injury in that Celtic game. Even though it wasn't an ACL or Achilles, it clearly finished him as a player at the top-flight level, and I've barely seen an injury transform a player negatively so much this century.

As for the theme of this thread in general, Skacel was the first name which came to my head. A hero in his first spell, a proper club legend in his second. As someone already mentioned, that St Mirren game will forever stay with me. 1-0 down, reduced to ten men, win 5-2 because he scored a hat-trick FROM OUTSIDE THE BOX! Mental.

He was excellent when he played a half-dozen or so games for Dundee as well albeit at a lower level. 

30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

He was excellent when he played a half-dozen or so games for Dundee as well albeit at a lower level. 

Was that not the season that was stopped short due to Covid? 

We'd really gone on a tear after he came along, turned things right around, and I fancy that had that season been played out in full we stood a decent chance in the Playoffs.

39 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Was that not the season that was stopped short due to Covid? 

We'd really gone on a tear after he came along, turned things right around, and I fancy that had that season been played out in full we stood a decent chance in the Playoffs.

It was the Covid curtailed season.  I checked and he actually played just 6 games and we kept clean sheets in 5 of them. 

Won't bother trying to do an XI for us, the players I can think of are:

GK: Roddy McKenzie, Neil Alexander, Liam Kelly

DEF: James Penrice, Declan Gallagher, Jackson Longridge, Jonathan Brown

MID: Keaghan Jacobs, Kyle Jacobs, Burton O'Brien, Raffaelle De Vita, Martin Scott, Lee Makel, Mark Fotheringham, Steve Tosh

FWD: David Fernandez, Josh Mullin, Rory Boulding, Colin McMenamin, Jim Hamilton

I'm sure there's plenty more that I can't think of too.

Edited by LiviLion