Returning players - better or worse?

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The return leg break was delicious karma tbh. He tried to do Scott Brown and got injured himself instead. He actually got clapped off the pitch when he got stretchered but most didn't see what he tried to do untill we saw the replays when we got home.

Not the incident I was referring to, he got fucked on his 2nd debut and was immediately out for 6 months. His chance of a successful spell was over there and then.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

As LCD Soundsystem once sang..

"Drunk girls know that love is an astronaut. It comes back, but its never the same..."

Can't think of a modern day returnee to St Mirren that has been better than when they left. There are some notable ones from the 70s/80s but it was a different time with far less developed transfer network.

Surely the impact Stephen McGinn had returning was massive in our resurgence from doomed relegation certainties to back in the top flight within 18months?

As I said it’s not so much being a better player but having a greater impact. 

I forgot that Kirk Broadfoot returned at one stage to our club. Certainly best 1st time around. 

Chic Charnley was a twat both times at our club. Great talent but just an eejit. 

Just now, Molotov said:

Surely the impact Stephen McGinn had returning was massive in our resurgence from doomed relegation certainties to back in the top flight within 18months?

Yeah, probably, I don't think there are many candidates to be fair.

It's a shame Thompson didn't have a wee spell with us when he was young before coming to us, as him returning to the club to lift the cup would surely be a slam dunk for us.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Off the top of my head:

Jess great first spell good second, hindered by shite managers

Booth, Anderson - great first spells, decent run up to retirement on return. 

Derek Young, two ok stints as squad ballast.

Chris Clarke- promising first spell, disappointing on return.

Derek Adams- not sure he played a competitive game as a youngster. Meh squad player on return.

Feel like I’ve missed someone really obvious. Probably that c**t Foster. Actually Aluko probably, the petulant sulky p***k. 
Does Kenny Maclean count? 
child- quite good.

Derek Young was better the second time around, IMO.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Derek Young was better the second time around, IMO.

Mk2 played mainly in midfield rather than as a forward iirc. Probably suited him better. Certainly better than right back but we don't talk about that. 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Off the top of my head:

Derek Adams- not sure he played a competitive game as a youngster. Meh squad player on return.

Feel like I’ve missed someone really obvious. Probably that c**t Foster. Actually Aluko probably, the petulant sulky p***k. 
child- quite good.

Presume the obvious one you are missing is Shinnie?

Arnason was poor on his return.

David Fernandez, spectacular for us first time round, sold to Celtic who hardly played him, came back to us on loan, overweight by a few stones, slimmed down and was spectacular for us again, helping us win the League cup and get to a Scottish cup semi final. Played Celtic, his parent club in that semi, and wasn't allowed to play, which was a big reason we lost to them.

Derek Lilley, scored about 15 goals for us in the season we won the League cup in 2004, including a goal in the semi to beat Dundee, and a goal in our 2-0 final win over Hibs. Absolute pish the 2nd time he played for us.

Keaghan Jacobs, cracking player over the years, the last one left from the 4 Jacobs brothers playing for Livi, left to go to South Africa, didn't work out for him there and he came back and signed with us again, still a cracking player and scored in our play off final against Partick Th to help win us promotion to the top flight. Keags will always be a legend at Livi.

Declan Gallagher, good for us in his first spell, went to the clink to serve his time for the baseball bat assault, came back to us and was part of our Gallagher-Halkett-Lithgow solid back 3 that got us promoted to the top flight, and helped us stay there in that important first season up.

Hammy, canny mind his first name now, nickname was flipper, scored a cracking goal for Motherwell against Celtic iirc. Anyway, was decent for us first time around, and a dud the 2nd time. 

Can't remember any others that have played more than once for us just now. Pretty much a mixed bag from those ones.

*edit. Just thought of another one, Liam Kelly loaned to us from Sevco, for his first spell and wasn't that good, made a few right blunders, 2nd spell was when Neil Alexander* left after getting us promoted, Kelly came in and was much improved.

*f**k how could i forget Neil, between him and Broto for our best ever keeper, was brilliant in his first spell and a good solid, reliable keeper in his 2nd, saved a pen in the promotion final against Partick Th too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 hours ago, CoF said:

I can't think of a player whose career nosedived so spectacularly without a clear reason. 

Most likely due to the fact he was exceptionally unprofessional. 

As for Dundee? He's not called Glorious Gary Harkins fir no reason. :wub:

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

The return leg break was delicious karma tbh. He tried to do Scott Brown and got injured himself instead. He actually got clapped off the pitch when he got stretchered but most didn't see what he tried to do untill we saw the replays when we got home.

That was a good while after.

He got badly injured in his first game back at - Rugby Park - (having made quite a bright start) and was out for the rest of that season. That cost him the chance to be part of a cup win in each spell at Hearts, which was a shame. He was more or less done from then on.

I honestly forget his second spell happened.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Leighton was as good in both stints,  probably his first spell behind McLeish and miller made his clean sheet record better first time.

Joe Miller, probably better first spell.

Jess,  excellent both times.

John Inglis,  first time better

Scott booth, first spell helped by the fantastic attacking support he had.

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

Off the top of my head:

child- quite good.

Michael Hart was much better second time around, albeit he was only 21 when he left.

277 goals without a single goal is quite a record.

Some blasts from the past from Ross County there are bound to be more but off the top of my head. 

Billy Ferris, brilliant first spell in a shocking side (bottom of HL), second spell well ask any left back and they will come out in a cold sweat. 

Neil Tarrant, again brilliant first spell goes to Villa for a record fee, comes back via several sides and appears to have lost any football skill he had. 

Derek Adams, top scorer in first spell goes to Motherwell again via several sides and comes back as midfielder just not as good in second spell. 

Iain Vigurs excellent first spell especially with his giruy to Terry Butcher, second spell I'm split good and bad but overall a success imo.