Most Appearances For Your Club Without Scoring

12 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Obviously discounting keepers for this. 

According to the AFC heritage website, for the Dons it's a guy called Pat McKenna who played 204 times (all starts) from 1945 to 1952 without finding the net. He is 79th on the all time appearance list for Aberdeen. 

The highest on the list in my lifetime is Derek Whyte who made 155 apps (153 starts). He is 124th on the all time appearance list. 

If only Nicky Maynard had signed a 5 year contract…. 

For Celtic it looks like Bobby Hogg. Who played 328 games for us between 1932 and 1948. He was a defender.

In modern times I would've said Tommy Boyd. But he scored twice in 364 games. Including one I witnessed as he scrambled home a goal at Brockville to give us a

2-1 win (I think it was the winner..?!)

Closest in modern times is Tosh McKinlay who never scored in 139 games for Celtic.

19 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It must be absolutely shite being a footballer that never scores a single goal. Maybe some of them genuinely don't care but if I was in my mid-30s I'd be dropping down the leagues and demanding to be put on pens.

Had a similar situation as a teenager in the first men's team I played in.

There was a much older lad there who was close to chucking it and had never scored. Played at the back for years. We got a penalty in a game we were cruising in and he got brought on to take it.

Skied it.

Funny as f**k.

He eventually did score a few weeks later. A beauty * as well. Two great moments to witness.

* I say "a beauty" but I reckon it's one of these goals that's grown in all of our memories/imaginations as the years have gone by. He ran on to the ball on the  edge of the box and scored after a poor clearance. In our collective mind whenever it's now discussed, he met the ball on the half volley from 40 yards and it's still fucking rising having burst the net in the top corner.

Edited by VincentGuerin

20 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It must be absolutely shite being a footballer that never scores a single goal. Maybe some of them genuinely don't care but if I was in my mid-30s I'd be dropping down the leagues and demanding to be put on pens.

You stole that from Stuart Carswell

On 11/01/2024 at 10:36, lennyzer0 said:

According to London Hearts for us it's Davie Holt, who played 308 games for Hearts between 1960 and 1969, without a goal.

Nobody in my time as a supporter has played more than 100 games and not scored (Robbie Neilson goes closest, I think).

And what a goal Neilson did score!

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Has Ollie Shaw ever scored for anybody? (He's probably scored against us)

There's an incredibly similar, but parallel, universe to this one where Alex Jakubiak is in his third season for Thistle and is yet to score a goal.

I quite like Alex Jakubiak.

14 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Has Ollie Shaw ever scored for anybody? (He's probably scored against us)

Scored 3 against you, more than against any other top flight club, but 2nd overall.

Screenshot_20240113_073407_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf308d7ca047e833ad463f6f436f708c.jpg

On 13/01/2024 at 07:39, kingjoey said:

No surprise there. 

Seem to remember he scored at least one when John Hughes’ Ross county gave us a bit of a scudding in Dingwall, as things fell apart for Derek. 

ETA - checked, he got two. 

IMG_3525.thumb.jpeg.91cb1cd21479a05f70ebc649e9c99d68.jpeg

Edited by Dons_1988

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Seem to remember he scored at least one when John Hughes’ Ross county gave us a bit of a scudding in Dingwall, as things fell apart for Derek. 

ETA - checked, he got two. 

IMG_3525.thumb.jpeg.91cb1cd21479a05f70ebc649e9c99d68.jpeg

No surprise him scoring against us, but two, that’s taking the piss in an extreme way.

39 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You can relive the excitement on Youtube

Cheers, you’re two kind.