Driving in Germany

Dunfermline Don

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Just reading through this. I'm driving to Stuttgart for the Hungary game in the van (via the Channel Tunnel and Frieburg for a couple of days) - and one thing I saw is that a lot of German cities have Low Emission Zones and require you to have a green windscreen sticker to show that your car is Euro4 or better.

We're staying at campsites in Freiburg and Stuttgart that mean I need to drive in the city centre, so I sent off for the sticker and got it back in about 8 days, although I imagine there might be a rush for these things nearer the time as lots of mainland europe folk will drive compared to the UK. You can basically get the sticker from any cities' issuing authority and it "works" everywhere (I used Stuttgart's).

There are other rules about carrying dayglo vests, warning triangles and first aid kits but I've got no clue if this is enforced much. Also - Germany's border with France and a bunch of other places will have controls, so I assume that might cause delays.

This is really helpful, thanks. We're driving too, Hull-Zebrugge-Dusseldorf (then Cologne then Stuttgart). 

I drove in France years ago and you had to put wee stickers on your headlights - does anyone know if this is still a thing? 

8 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I drove in France years ago and you had to put wee stickers on your headlights - does anyone know if this is still a thing? 

That's dependant on your car's headlights. Mine has LED headlights that have a flat beam, so need for deflectors (it even says it in the manual) - if you have older headlight types, you need them. 

On 12/04/2024 at 20:52, Swello said:

Just reading through this. I'm driving to Stuttgart for the Hungary game in the van (via the Channel Tunnel and Frieburg for a couple of days) - and one thing I saw is that a lot of German cities have Low Emission Zones and require you to have a green windscreen sticker to show that your car is Euro4 or better.

We're staying at campsites in Freiburg and Stuttgart that mean I need to drive in the city centre, so I sent off for the sticker and got it back in about 8 days, although I imagine there might be a rush for these things nearer the time as lots of mainland europe folk will drive compared to the UK. You can basically get the sticker from any cities' issuing authority and it "works" everywhere (I used Stuttgart's).

Thanks, really helpful, I hadn't started the driving research yet. Do you have a link to where you applied? I'm struggling. Also, did you upload documents to support the application?

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Thanks, really helpful, I hadn't started the driving research yet. Do you have a link to where you applied? I'm struggling. Also, did you upload documents to support the application?

I got it from here: https://www.tuvsud.com/de-de/branchen/mobilitaet-und-automotive/feinstaubplaketten/bestellung-feinstaubplakette-england

The thing you're after is called an "umweltplakette" and you need a photo/scan of your V5 amongst other things - but it wasn't too bad. I think it cost me 17 Euro all in (I think there are a bunch of commercial services that do it for double that).

There are other rules about carrying dayglo vests, warning triangles and first aid kits but I've got no clue if this is enforced much. Also - Germany's border with France and a bunch of other places will have controls, so I assume that might cause delays.

Drove to Cologne two years back, and were pulled over by the local police after going down a one way street the wrong way... 

None of us had a high vis, and we were given a €15 fine. From memory you only need one per car, not every passenger!

You can buy the emission sticker online before you head over, typically come in about ten days.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

None of us had a high vis, and we were given a €15 fine. From memory you only need one per car, not every passenger!

I think this is correct - but unfortunately France apparently needs one per person and we're driving through there first - great fun.

Be really careful about speeding in the Netherlands. 

They were incredibly strict, have cameras everywhere on the motorways and the safety threshold of the limit is only 2 or 3 kmh.

In Germany its a big higher, I think 5 or 6. France I've no idea, they just seem to drive mental everywhere. 

It's been mental looking into all this stuff. My favourites are that France at one point was requiring you to carry a breathalyser kit (but that seems to have gone away) but best of all are the drink driving laws in Belgium. If you are a wee bit over the limit when they test you, they allow you park up for a couple of hours before carrying on with no fine or points - probably to cater for folk that had a Tripel with their lunch :)

On 15/04/2024 at 10:46, Swello said:

I got it from here: https://www.tuvsud.com/de-de/branchen/mobilitaet-und-automotive/feinstaubplaketten/bestellung-feinstaubplakette-england

The thing you're after is called an "umweltplakette" and you need a photo/scan of your V5 amongst other things - but it wasn't too bad. I think it cost me 17 Euro all in (I think there are a bunch of commercial services that do it for double that).

I ordered mine from this website on Monday and it has arrived in the post this morning, the cost was just under £15.

Are you sure? They have this dreadful thing called the EU, and for most of its members the Schengen agreement. means no border controls.

I can't remember the last time I saw any passport or customs checks within Western Europe.

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

Are you sure? They have this dreadful thing called the EU, and for most of its members the Schengen agreement. means no border controls.

I can't remember the last time I saw any passport or customs checks within Western Europe.

Germany are bringing in temporary border controls at all its borders for the Euros and they have already had temporary border controls with Poland and the Czech Republic for a while now and keep renewing them every few months.

There's this dreadful thing called google where you could've found this information.

6 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

This is probably a failure of media of all stripes in the UK - but there is nothing in Schengen that stops countries controlling their own borders at need. During Covid, it was very common....

Drove in Germany earlier in the week. For the most part, a positive experience. 

The Autobahn was great - everyone drives properly (keeping to the right unless overtaking) and middle lane hogging isn't a thing like it is here. Obviously people can go as fast as they want in places which might change the dynamic somewhat, but the rules of the road are respected. Bear in mind that cars might appear right behind you very suddenly as a result though. I definitely used my mirrors a lot more than I do at home. 

Do watch however, as the speed limit can change quickly - either via sign or the overhead gantries.

The one thing that did catch me out (and my research failed to find), was that some traffic lights in small towns get turned off at the weekend, or will turn off if there's inactivity. Naturally this happened to me when two other cars approached the junction from different sides and I was a bit baffled as to who had priority. 

• 1 month later...

On a slightly tangential topic, the Germans take the red men very seriously at traffic lights or pedestrian crossings. Even if there are no vehicles around, you are expected to stand and wait for the green man. Don’t know if plod enforces this but you certainly incur the wrath of the locals if you cross on a red man.

Drove from IJmuiden (Newcastle ferry) to Wurzburg yesterday. My biggest moan about the autobahn was lorries overtaking each other and making it difficult to get out into the 3rd lane to overtake due to all the Audis and BMWs flying by. 
Plenty of TA also travelling on the road as well.

Onwards to our Airbnb outside of Munich today.