The Spiders v The Honest Men

57 minutes ago, an86 said:

I’m not prone to slaughtering refs because what’s the point? However, that’s absolutely brutal. Every single point could be the difference between us staying in this league or not. You cannot get a decision as simple as that wrong. We can look at the wall etc. as well, but the referee has to do his job properly there. Should be a demotion or a couple of weeks sitting out for that one. 

I thought I was the only one who thought the wall positioning was poor. Frankly from that position to score with a grounder either the wall or the keeper's positioning has to be wrong. As the responsibility for wall positioning is down to the goalkeeper that was down to Ferrie I fear. The fact that the decision to award a direct free kick was also wrong makes the whole incident a total fiasco. 

7 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I thought I was the only one who thought the wall positioning was poor. Frankly from that position to score with a grounder either the wall or the keeper's positioning has to be wrong. As the responsibility for wall positioning is down to the goalkeeper that was down to Ferrie I fear. The fact that the decision to award a direct free kick was also wrong makes the whole incident a total fiasco. 

Wall didn't do it's job. They jumped and the ball went under their feet.  Smartly taken goal.

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Wall didn't do it's job. They jumped and the ball went under their feet.  Smartly taken goal.

You are absolutely right. I had not noticed Longridge in particular and Robson moving away to create the space. Nothing wrong with the initial positioning. Sorry Callum.

Edited by williebraveheart

5 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

You are absolutely right. I had not noticed Lonridge in particular and Robson moving away to create the space. Nothing wrong with the initial positioning. Sorry Callum.

My first reaction after the goal was, awful decision but still there to be defended. Looked to me like Mauchin was the closest but there was a few jumping. Golden rule in wall defending; just hold your position and let everyone else do the same. Really cheap goal to lose. Schoolboy stuff, literally.

Spong solely to blame for the second goal, just didn’t switch on quick enough.

Cammy Bruce is going to have to man up soon. Several times in the game he had a 1v1 with space behind but elected to make a pass to the side/back. The incident where Thomson got caught in the middle of the park resulted from one of Bruce’s poor choices. Almost ended up in a Ayr goal. He’s got the pace and skill, just needs to practise it more.

Really reset the mind yesterday. It was as dull as any of Veldman’s performances, first half especially. Just not enough players ready for this level yet. Our goal was the best of the game and shows the difference when a player attacks the ball as opposed to waiting for a break. Good work by both Thomas and Paton, more regularly is the next step. And has to be said, Mr Welsh did nothing for the “auld heids will make the difference” argument. More schoolboy stuff for the second booking.

You'd think it was a late penalty the way QP fans are going on about this free kick.

If McGeady was still remotely bothered about playing football it'd have been 3-1. Then that free kick wouldn't have mattered.

57 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Didn't think it's was a foul at the game but watching the highlights he reached out and pushed Mackenzie in the chest to impead him is it soft 100% but it is a foul.

You didn’t think it was a foul at the game because it wasn’t a foul. You’re kidding yourself on with that excuse of an explanation. 

56 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Spong solely to blame for the second goal, just didn’t switch on quick enough.

100%. Ironically, Welsh shows how this is done in the lead up to the free kick / first goal - he’s switched on and tracks back and covers really well. But if Welsh had Spong’s control he wouldn’t have been done for the second yellow. 

3 hours ago, an86 said:

I’m not prone to slaughtering refs because what’s the point? However, that’s absolutely brutal. Every single point could be the difference between us staying in this league or not. You cannot get a decision as simple as that wrong. We can look at the wall etc. as well, but the referee has to do his job properly there. Should be a demotion or a couple of weeks sitting out for that one. 

You could blame the player who commits the foul perhaps? 

McKenzie is quite clearly impeded and falls over as a result. It’s soft but it’s still a foul. 

We were the better team regardless and well worth the win. 

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Didn't think it's was a foul at the game but watching the highlights he reached out and pushed Mackenzie in the chest to impead him is it soft 100% but it is a foul.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll bite. 

If he PUSHED him in the chest how does he fall FORWARDS?

Have you seen this Zapruder film?

"Back and to the left"

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

You'd think it was a late penalty the way QP fans are going on about this free kick.

If McGeady was still remotely bothered about playing football it'd have been 3-1. Then that free kick wouldn't have mattered.

Overall Ayr were the better team on the day and you got the 3 points. Just a pity from our perspective the officials made mistakes that had a big bearing on the outcome of the game.  

19 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Overall Ayr were the better team on the day and you got the 3 points. Just a pity from our perspective the officials made mistakes that had a big bearing on the outcome of the game.  

Compared to the absolute horrors getting visited on the SPL every week by VAR, the odd pish call by an official at this level looks like Pierluigi Collina at his finest.