Double promotions.

Nkomo-A-Gogo

Id like to know a slightly awkard thing if anyone has stats handy.

Firstly how many teams have had consecutive promotions.

Secondly of those teams, at what stage of the season had the first promotion been wrapped up. How many dead rubbers did they have.

Im thinking that if the amount of dead rubbers is low then the team still had a bit of fire in their belly for the next season .

Livingston got promoted from League One in 2016/17 and then the Championship in 2017/18.  They won League One by twenty odd points so probably had a load of dead games at the end of the season.

Gretna went up three times in a row between 2004/05 and 2006/07.  They won Leagues One and Two by miles so doubtless had loads of dead rubbers but IIRC they won the First Division with the last kick of the ball, not that it helped them the next season.

Cowdenbeath got promoted from the old Third to the old First in consecutive seasons from 2008-2010.  Both times they went up via the play-offs so no dead rubbers there.

• 2 weeks later...

Clydebank won back to back promotions in 1975-76 and 1976-77.

Promotion was secured from the second division with a 2-0 win against Forfar Athletic at Kilbowie in their penultimate game of the season. Their final game, played more than five weeks later because of the Spring Cup, was a 0-0 draw at Alloa Athletic.

The following season saw promotion to the Premier League being clinched after a 3-2 win over Dundee at Dens Park. Their remaining games resulted in an away defeat to Raith, a home win to Raith and an away win at Falkirk. Both Raith and Falkirk were relegated.

The Pars under Jim Leishman in 1986-86 and 86-87. 

I don't think there were any dead rubbers in 85-86 as Queen of the South and Meadowbank Thistle pushed them for most of the season. In 1986-87 the Pars finished 3 points clear of Dumbarton too. 

On 08/02/2024 at 14:02, tamthebam said:

The Pars under Jim Leishman in 1986-86 and 86-87. 

I don't think there were any dead rubbers in 85-86 as Queen of the South and Meadowbank Thistle pushed them for most of the season. In 1986-87 the Pars finished 3 points clear of Dumbarton too.

QoS were top for most of that season but collapsed after winning the big head to head decider with Dunfermline in April. We didn't win / barely won another game and Dunfermline snuck through to win the league anyway.

I can't recall if it went to the last game or not (I don't think it did as I don't recall there being any title tension for the last day) but it certainly went to the 2nd last.

I also don't recall Meadowbank being anything but a remote threat to the two who to my memory were miles clear all season (we went the first 13 without defeat). However, I accept as a Meadowbank fan you may recall differently. All I recall is a season long head to head with the Pars.

Edited by Skyline Drifter