That penalty would be up there as one of the worst decisions of the season pre-VAR, but now it feels like a weekly occurrence someone getting shafted by incompetent refs re-reffing games.

VAR needs binned.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

That penalty would be up there as one of the worst decisions of the season pre-VAR, but now it feels like a weekly occurrence someone getting shafted by incompetent refs re-reffing games.

VAR needs binned.

We are the point now that you don't need to even shoot on target to win games now - just get it in the box and blast from a yard at the defender's arms.

All common sense has gone out of the window.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

VAR needs binned.

The penalty was immediately given by the referee rather than being a VAR intervention.

A complete nonsense of a decision, though.

9 hours ago, DC92 said:

Or maybe it would've been like the year before, when we didn't have him and still finished miles ahead in 3rd.

9 hours ago, Navallion said:

We comfortably finished 3rd the season before last, miles ahead of the rest, when Shankland wasn't anywhere on our radar at the time. 

We relied more on Boyce and the team as a whole to score goals, Shankland is doing his job as club captain and striker to score and play well.... What's average about that.

6 hours ago, Darren said:

Almost like the team is set up to provide opportunities for Shankland to score goals. 

I think going back two seasons to counter my argument is a bit of a stretch.

Also to Darren’s point, you’ll know better than me on this, but how many of Shankland’s goals are created by a crucial assist? When I think of his goals I think of many of them being wondergoals out of nothing or self made goals (like todays two for example).

Anyway, it’s only my opinion lads. I’m not stating it as a fact. I might be wrong and I guess unless Shankland was to get a long term injury (which I hope from a Scotland perspective he doesn’t) then we’ll never know which of us is right. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

VAR needs binned.

Wasn't given by VAR.

Handball in general is a shambles, yes, but the ref gave this one instantly.

Not sure VAR would have given it, but can see why it wasn't overturned.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

We are the point now that you don't need to even shoot on target to win games now - just get it in the box and blast from a yard at the defender's arms.

All common sense has gone out of the window.

The penalty also affected Ashcroft’s confidence. When Shankland was dancing about him for the 3rd he would normally have just smashed the c**t and given away a free kick. Hopefully lesson learned. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think going back two seasons to counter my argument is a bit of a stretch.

Also to Darren’s point, you’ll know better than me on this, but how many of Shankland’s goals are created by a crucial assist? When I think of his goals I think of many of them being wondergoals out of nothing or self made goals (like todays two for example).

Anyway, it’s only my opinion lads. I’m not stating it as a fact. I might be wrong and I guess unless Shankland was to get a long term injury (which I hope from a Scotland perspective he doesn’t) then we’ll never know which of us is right. 

It's not really a stretch since the core of the squad has basically been the same since then with the exception of Shankland. Arguably this team is closer to 21/22 considering the horrendous injuries we had last season.

Obviously Shankland is our most crucial player which is why we were never going to sell him last month without a huge fee and a couple of replacements lined up. They wouldn't have been as prolific as him, but you'd hope they'd have been able to get us within single figures of Killie's points tally over 15 games.

Aberdeen this season are also proof that having an exceptional striker isn't enough in itself.

Edited by DC92

10 hours ago, Fifespud said:

No. Today I was at a 100th birthday party so had to watch on a stream. If it was on the Shankly side of the middle, I could guess who it was though!

First off, celebrating someone reaching a 100 years is definitely a good enough reason to miss Dens for a day - I hope the star of the day had a great time.

Yeh, roughly that area.  I get the fact that fans get frustrated with game management, especially with what has happened this season, but I think Doc has already earned our full support at the games.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

It's not really a stretch since the core of the squad has basically been the same since then with the exception of Shankland. Arguably this team is closer to 21/22 considering the horrendous injuries we had last season.

Obviously Shankland is our most crucial player which is why we were never going to sell him last month without a huge fee and a couple of replacements lined up. They wouldn't have been as prolific as him, but you'd hope they'd have been able to get us within single figures of Killie's points tally over 15 games.

Aberdeen this season are also proof that having an exceptional striker isn't enough in itself.

The fact we've conceded 14 goals fewer than Dundee despite having played two games more might give an indication that there's more than Shankland between the two teams.

You're right to reference Aberdeen. A good striker isn't nearly as valuable if you concede loads of goals. We've been more leaky lately, but over the season it's our defensive record that's made the difference so far.

2 hours ago, DC92 said:

The penalty was immediately given by the referee rather than being a VAR intervention.

A complete nonsense of a decision, though.

Was a harsh one for Dee, sure but ref played the rules as they are and as you say, nowt to do with VAR there.

Will the rules be changed? Probably easier as they are. Players just need to learn to jump with arms tucked in. It's not that difficult.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

VAR needs binned.

Was sat beind the goals and it was going in.  Hand was away from the body, the height of the hand isn’t a factor. And contrary to Peter grants opinion attempts turn away strengthens the case.  In respect of these rules and some of the other decisions this season that was one of the stronger cases.

As regards the difference between the 2 teams. Dundee are a very good side, in McGowan, beck and Campbell they have some very very good players.  

However I think non hearts fans are not conscious of the sheer number of players we are missing or not starting with. Shanks aside our squad is so much better than the other sides.  E.g Gordon, Atkinson, Kingsley, Halkett, Rowles, Devlin, Mackay, Boyce, Vargas, Haring, Scott Fraser, Tagawa, Denham, Tait, Pollock.   There’s 12 senior players who for one reason or another didn’t start yesterday and our best 3 young players.   I’f we had to choose from that list we’d still be contenders for third.  That’s why we are third by a street.  Not only shanks 

13 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

big ashy is forfeiting his deal to enter a clinical trial where we will lop his arms off and see how he gets on.

Would probably work better to chop him off at the knees, tbh.

11 hours ago, Navallion said:

FB_IMG_1707004756246.jpg

A bit of effort has went into this for zero reward. Be better.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Wasn't given by VAR.

Handball in general is a shambles, yes, but the ref gave this one instantly.

Not sure VAR would have given it, but can see why it wasn't overturned.

I disagree. I think it should’ve been referred by VAR for a review and ultimately overturned.

It was neither deliberate nor making their body unnaturally bigger. It meets no criteria for it to be given as a foul.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I disagree. I think it should’ve been referred by VAR for a review and ultimately overturned.

It was neither deliberate nor making their body unnaturally bigger. It meets no criteria for it to be given as a foul.

Depends whether you think it made his body unnaturally bigger or not. I don't think it did, but the referee did. And I think it's one of those where VAR would have stuck with his call either way.

The problem with handball is that you can argue it whichever way you want. His arm blocks a shot on target as he's turning away and putting his arm out. Or. He's turning and his arm comes out as a consequence and there's nothing he can do.

Neither of those interpretations is clearly and obviously wrong.

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

it doesn’t need to be deliberate, that’s not in the rules.  His arm was outstretched, the ball was on target and there was a good chance it was going in and the player was in the process of turning his back. There is zero chance it would have been overturned.

Was raging last night but on reflection thought we played really well, going forward anyway we look excellent at times and its a joy to watch. It is concerning the amount of points we drop from winnning positions though and our defence give me the fear half the time. Having a player like Shankland in close games like that is the difference unfortunately, very good striker. 

What an absolute minter the "Hearts are falling apart again" song is btw

7 minutes ago, DaveMackay56 said:

it doesn’t need to be deliberate, that’s not in the rules.  His arm was outstretched, the ball was on target and there was a good chance it was going in and the player was in the process of turning his back. There is zero chance it would have been overturned.

Yes it is @DaveMackay86 

It is an offence if a player: 

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
  • scores in the opponents' goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental