Clapham Alkali Attack

Sounds like a pretty horrific attack. The anti-asylum mob will be all over this though. Convicted of a sexual offence, still granted asylum, then suspected of committing this attack. I wonder what the Express and the Mail front pages will look like tomorrow. 

55 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Yeah, an absolutely abhorrent thing to do to another human. Judging by the photo from the tesco CCTV, he's taken a fair splash to the face himself (insert Kenneth gif)

He needed to pish on himself afterwards to neutralise the Alkali 

Chemistry Higher A

Last time I spent a significant time in London was in 2017 and there had been a similar attack.  I was staying at a hotel in Newham and travelling to East London for work.  The guy who carried out that attack (a random racially motiviated attack on two Asian people in a car) was on the run the whole time I was there.  This was around the time where acid attacks were in the news every day, that seems to have died down, I assume as the police starting arresting people for carrying corrosive substances and shops stopped selling them with no checks.

I think I'm right in saying that the first ever recorded acid attack in British history took place in Glasgow.  Both Glasgow and Edinburgh had major textile manufacturing industry and acid, or vitriol, was used in the dyeing process.  A newspaper report in 1834 said

A Glasgow newspaper, the Reformers’ Gazette, noted in February 1834 that a Hugh Kennedy had been hung for throwing vitriol “wilfully and maliciously” on the face of a fellow servant while he slept. Kennedy’s victim had woken in agony, “one of his eyes being literally burned out!” The Gazette grieved to say that the crime of throwing vitriol had become so common in the Glasgow area that it was “almost a stain on the national character”. No punishment could be too severe for the culprits. “We would have their arms cut off by the shoulders, and, in that state, send them to roam as outcasts from society, without the power of throwing vitriol again.”

Regarding the asylum angle, I think a lot of people who aren't Mail/Express reading frothers will be shocked that someone could be repeatedly rejected for asylum, be convicted of sex crimes and then after this be given asylum in the UK.  I know people who have had a tough time getting visas etc for family members, spouses, who are all completely exemplary people, with jobs and no criminal record.  Seems odd that there are extensive hoops but this guy gets asylum with a conviction in this country for a serious offence.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think I'm right in saying that the first ever recorded acid attack in British history took place in Glasgow.  Both Glasgow and Edinburgh had major textile manufacturing industry and acid, or vitriol, was used in the dyeing process.  A newspaper report in 1834 said

Learned of this in the People's Palace in Glasgow. They have a list on the wall of people who were jailed (hanged?) and their crimes. A few of which said 'Vitriol'. Had to look it up to make sure they weren't killed for being cheeky.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding the asylum angle, I think a lot of people who aren't Mail/Express reading frothers will be shocked that someone could be repeatedly rejected for asylum, be convicted of sex crimes and then after this be given asylum in the UK.  

Because a priest vouched for him.

Priests, that bastion of upstanding human behaviour.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Last time I spent a significant time in London was in 2017 and there had been a similar attack.  I was staying at a hotel in Newham and travelling to East London for work.  The guy who carried out that attack (a random racially motiviated attack on two Asian people in a car) was on the run the whole time I was there.  This was around the time where acid attacks were in the news every day, that seems to have died down, I assume as the police starting arresting people for carrying corrosive substances and shops stopped selling them with no checks.

Are you saying that it could have been you?

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Are you saying that it could have been you?

It was a racially motivated attack against Asians, I think I'm safe.