Aberdeen v Bonnyrigg Rose

Well, weโ€™re through.ย 

I was impressed with Bonnyrigg, played some good stuff. We looked vulnerable at times.ย 

Thankfully we scored at good times which probably killed the contest but not much to write home about. A pretty insipid performance all told again. Weโ€™re just not much fun to watch.ย 

On 07/02/2024 at 09:26, Jacksgranda said:

Home win (probably)

Got that right for a change. Happy with that, although it appears The Rose gave us a bit of a game, particularly in the first half.

3 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Why didn't he start against the worst team in the same league then?

Youโ€™ll need to ask Baz that one. Maybe because it was away from home and he wanted a full strength team out. Do I need to mention the โ€œDโ€ word?
ย 

Anyway, that was pretty shite but job done and in to the QF draw tomorrow. Fair play to the Bonnyrigg fans, travelled in good numbers and their team put in a decent performance.ย 

I am obviously pleased that we got the result, but it was another performance leaving more questions than answers. It is very much a case of being grateful that we have a really top centre-forward in Miovski, because otherwise it would certainly have been a more awkward afternoon.ย 

We are just not a good team when it comes to playing against bodies behind the ball and teams that want to transition against us. We have some players who should be good at it - primarily the likes of Barron, Clarkson and McGrath, and Phillips showed glimpses in the second half - but it clearly isn't something we have been coached well enough to execute, including against a middling League Two side. Even in the first half, I lost count of the amount of times that we could have been moving the ball quicker, but a player just wanted one or two touches too many; it doesn't help that we don't really have any centre-backs who are particularly good or even comfortable on the ball, and it hampers our ability to progress through the thirds. It will be a real challenge for Warnock to make this team quicker and slicker when it comes to facing a particular type of domestic opposition, otherwise it will very much become a season that peters out for us - and this group of players will be confirmed as a 'there's a good team in there' team, rather than an actual good team.

There is also a frustrating lack of intensity and desire. I can't remember if it was a post on here or a podcast, but someone said recently that this team has nowhere near the credit in the bank to coast through games against the likes of Clyde when we are 2-0 up - and it was very much the same vibe again today. Bonnyrigg will feel unfortunate not to have scored at least once, and if they had taken a chance in the final fifteen or twenty minutes then it would have been a very nervous ending. I didn't see much evidence that we would have been able to step it up on command, either. Some players, if not all, should be busting a gut in that second half to impress Warnock and stake a claim, but it was mostly thin gruel.ย 

Wednesday will probably be a more telling insight for Warnock into this group of players than either Ibrox or today, but it is already clear that there is plenty of room for improvement.ย 

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I am obviously pleased that we got the result, but it was another performance leaving more questions than answers. It is very much a case of being grateful that we have a really top centre-forward in Miovski, because otherwise it would certainly have been a more awkward afternoon.ย 

We are just not a good team when it comes to playing against bodies behind the ball and teams that want to transition against us. We have some players who should be good at it - primarily the likes of Barron, Clarkson and McGrath, and Phillips showed glimpses in the second half - but it clearly isn't something we have been coached well enough to execute, including against a middling League Two side. Even in the first half, I lost count of the amount of times that we could have been moving the ball quicker, but a player just wanted one or two touches too many; it doesn't help that we don't really have any centre-backs who are particularly good or even comfortable on the ball, and it hampers our ability to progress through the thirds. It will be a real challenge for Warnock to make this team quicker and slicker when it comes to facing a particular type of domestic opposition, otherwise it will very much become a season that peters out for us - and this group of players will be confirmed as a 'there's a good team in there' team, rather than an actual good team.

There is also a frustrating lack of intensity and desire. I can't remember if it was a post on here or a podcast, but someone said recently that this team has nowhere near the credit in the bank to coast through games against the likes of Clyde when we are 2-0 up - and it was very much the same vibe again today. Bonnyrigg will feel unfortunate not to have scored at least once, and if they had taken a chance in the final fifteen or twenty minutes then it would have been a very nervous ending. I didn't see much evidence that we would have been able to step it up on command, either. Some players, if not all, should be busting a gut in that second half to impress Warnock and stake a claim, but it was mostly thin gruel.ย 

Wednesday will probably be a more telling insight for Warnock into this group of players than either Ibrox or today, but it is already clear that there is plenty of room for improvement.ย 

Was quite surprised how honest he was about the subs not being up to it!

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Was quite surprised how honest he was about the subs not being up to it!

I am only listening to him now, but it's certainly a fair comment about a few of them - I'm a big Barron fan but he wasn't great, and the likes of Duncan and Sokler were peripheral at best. A missed opportunity, I suppose.ย 

51 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

ย 

There is also a frustrating lack of intensity and desire. I can't remember if it was a post on here or a podcast, but someone said recently that this team has nowhere near the credit in the bank to coast through games against the likes of Clyde when we are 2-0 up - and it was very much the same vibe again today.

https://x.com/AFCHereWeGo/status/1756350426360746045?s=20

That was a really frustrating afternoon. We should have been the team going at Bonnyrigg right from the off, but it was totally the other way round. They had a few opportunities to score, in both halves, and they must be a little disappointed overall. Unlike against Clyde, I never felt totally comfortable, until the board went up with three extra minutes. Long ball after long ball from us in that second half, and not good long balls either. Morris is not going to make it with us and Duk is inclined to just do too much on the ball. The only positives to take from today were Bojan Miovski and that weโ€™re in the quarter finals.ย 
ย 

By the way, well done to Bonnyrigg, who played really well, and their fans. They were superb.

Edited by kingjoey

We seemed to just happily play out the game from 2-0,ย  rather than go for a glut of goals,ย 

Rose, would have opened the scoring if not for Devlins goalline clearance,

Full credit to the number of fans they took.

Thought Duncan had some good passing when he came on, but would love to see him run at defenders,ย 

Duk looked overweight,ย 

Thank Christ for Miovski where we would not without him I don't dare imagineย 

When the fans were calling Lee Currie "sumo" I thought "wait til McGachie comes on .."

And Kieran did. Which lead to the bloke behind me in the South Stand saying "Look at him move, he moves like Jagger him..."

14 hours ago, Willie adie said:

ย 

Rose, would have opened the scoring if not for Devlins goalline clearance,

They wouldn't, because it was 1-0 at the time. The guy should have scored though.

I was really disappointed in Duk yesterday. Iโ€™m so desperate for him to look like the man of last season but itโ€™s looking increasingly unlikely. Everything just feels so forced and laboured now.ย 

It would make such a difference to us as an attacking force if he could lift himself back to that level.ย 

A real meh performance from us yesterday. I'm just relieved that a hatchet man from one of the other bottom 6 hasn't thought to clobber Bojan as without him we'd be in deep trouble.

Full credit to Bonnyrigg for coming up and not being purely content to stick 10 men behind the ball which too many teams tend to do at Pittodrie.

ย 

ย 

It would seem that it was also a meh performance from Aberdeen behind the scenes. I donโ€™t know what the protocol are in the Scottish Premiership for hospitality, but I have seen a tweet from an esteemed Rose man who said that the home club laid on No food after the game for the visiting players. I think that is a piss poor performance ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž to the Dons foe that.

Cโ€™mon The Rose ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน