Change the Scottish Cup format

19 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

We should change the format to allow the team that were cruelly cheated in the 2008 final to go straight to the final every season. 

Fully agree.

They should play the final annually against any teams that were defeated by now deceased clubs who were cheating financially in the following 12 months.

OK. This won't happen but I thought I would add it to the list of ideas.

[a] At present, (with a few exceptions) all clubs outside Levels 1 to 4 can only enter if they have a club licence. Shouldn't this be changed so that all clubs from lower levels of the pyramid down to the WoS/EoS/SoS/Mids/North Juniors/NCal have the right to enter if they wish? Don't force them to enter if they don't want to but make sure that any home tie they get is played on a ground which meets a minimum standard. Ties could be played over a long week-end in order to make more grounds available i.e. Fri-Mon so four games at some grounds. 

It would bring the Big Cup to smaller clubs and communities.

Another thing would be to seed the Scottish Premier Division clubs so that when they enter the competition they would be kept separate in the draw so they would be drawn against clubs from the lower divisions. Then give the home advantage to the lower club. That would give the supporters of lower clubs the chance to see the "big names" playing at their ground. Again bring the Cup to lower clubs.

6 minutes ago, Dev said:

OK. This won't happen but I thought I would add it to the list of ideas.

[a] At present, (with a few exceptions) all clubs outside Levels 1 to 4 can only enter if they have a club licence. Shouldn't this be changed so that all clubs from lower levels of the pyramid down to the WoS/EoS/SoS/Mids/North Juniors/NCal have the right to enter if they wish? Don't force them to enter if they don't want to but make sure that any home tie they get is played on a ground which meets a minimum standard. Ties could be played over a long week-end in order to make more grounds available i.e. Fri-Mon so four games at some grounds. 

It would bring the Big Cup to smaller clubs and communities.

Another thing would be to seed the Scottish Premier Division clubs so that when they enter the competition they would be kept separate in the draw so they would be drawn against clubs from the lower divisions. Then give the home advantage to the lower club. That would give the supporters of lower clubs the chance to see the "big names" playing at their ground. Again bring the Cup to lower clubs.

It would sort of defeat the purpose of clubs gaining a licence which proves they are capable of hosting such a game. I'm all for a French (I think!) style system, but if teams want to enter they should have a licence imo

Edited by Spyro

On 13/02/2024 at 00:21, Ray Patterson said:

I think the current format is fine - the only difference is that you'd want more access for non-league clubs.

Maybe a couple of extra preliminary rounds for non-licenced teams in the sixth tier?

I would like to see the Scottish cup opened up to Amateur and Sunday Welfare.....possibly summer league teams too.  To accommodate this I would have the first round in January the year before the final.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2024 at 10:51, AyrshireTon said:

No to all of that.

Instead, have it begin earlier in the season and have absolutely EVERYONE in the country in the hat in the first round, juniors, amateurs, the lot.

And bring back replays and second replays at neutral venues.

That would be rubbish Celtic could draw an amateur side and be 15 nil up at half time 

Rangers and Celtic need to be rewarded for their continued success in the Scottish competition and to aid them to have better rest during their seasons a bye into the Last 16 would be an ideal reward, TV would be all for it i would imagine and it wouldn't change that much, I would have them seeded so they can't meet to at least the semi finals again for TV 

R1  & R2- All 8 Qualified Non League sides in the draw with all L1 and L2 sides. 4 byes in R1 for League 1 clubs 

R3 - 10 Championship, 10 Premier League sides join the 8 winners from the opening rounds for 14 ties

R4 - Rangers and Celtic will join the competition 

This will provide an exciting (Replays will be back) and compact competition with a cut and throat Qualifying competition with another cut and throat opening competition to join the big 2 into the last 16. TV would love it, Fans would come back and Scottish Cup will be a lot more exciting again. 

22 hours ago, mrman2011 said:

That would be rubbish Celtic could draw an amateur side and be 15 nil up at half time 

Said amateur side would probably enjoy the thought of their only real chance at playing the likes of Celtic.

In any case, the current Celtic side aren't beating anyone 15-0 in a hurry.

Celtic and Rangers should play each other in the televised game in every round, regardless of the result of those or any other games.

Sorry, that was meant to be submitted to the Viaplay production meeting...

On 06/03/2024 at 09:17, mrman2011 said:

R3 - 10 Championship, 10 Premier League sides join the 8 winners from the opening rounds for 14 ties

R4 - Rangers and Celtic will join the competition 

If we did have to revamp the Scottish Cup, I'd do only two things:

1. If teams are 2 or more leagues/tiers apart, home advantage automatically goes to the lower ranked team.

2. Replays are in the competition as the default result of a drawn tie, but if both clubs agree then the game can go straight to extra time and kicks from the penalty mark. Would allow for a bit of lattitude around player fatigue and fixture congestion but still allow for replays where at least one club wants it. 

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
I'm an idiot who can't read or count.

22 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The whole thing is clearly a heap of ridiculous shite, but 14 ties (7 winners) + 2 R4 joiners = 9 teams. Good luck making that work...

If we did have to revamp the Scottish Cup, I'd do only two things:

1. If teams are 2 or more leagues/tiers apart, home advantage automatically goes to the lower ranked team.

2. Replays are in the competition as the default result of a drawn tie, but if both clubs agree then the game can go straight to extra time and kicks from the penalty mark. Would allow for a bit of lattitude around player fatigue and fixture congestion but still allow for replays where at least one club wants it. 

Surely 14 ties would have 14 winners?