Scotland Euro 64

I'm wondering if any of you esteemed members of the P&B Community can enlighten me on the official reason why Scotland didn't enter the 1964 Nations Cup? I know all about the horror stories about the 50 and 54 World Cups but have never heard the reasons why we sat out 64 when England, Wales, NI and most others entered

Can't be because we didn't win the Home Championship, which the SFA used as an excuse for other tournaments. The Euro 64 qualifiers took place in 1962 and 1963, and Scotland won the 1961/62 and 1962/63 Home Championships. Dreading that it turns out to be something even more embarrassing, like the SFA forgot to send off the entry form, or decided the rest of Europe was too shite to offer a real challenge.

Anyway, put us out of our misery @HibeeJibee.

3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

I'm wondering if any of you esteemed members of the P&B Community can enlighten me on the official reason why Scotland didn't enter the 1964 Nations Cup? I know all about the horror stories about the 50 and 54 World Cups but have never heard the reasons why we sat out 64 when England, Wales, NI and most others entered

maxresdefault.jpg

Finland were only others not to enter*; as late as 1971 we played Euros qualifier at Pittodrie as it wasn't seen as 'proper' tournament.

Scotland was only FA to vote against womens football in 1972.

*Cyprus joined UEFA after qualifiers began; and for complex reasons West Germany didn't enter due to issues over East Germany participating after Berlin Wall went up a few months prior.

image.png.aab0488c68690e192adc94e9ea0b372b.png     image.thumb.png.52b9baaf59d6416566cb9f4e191e2364.png

"The Euros are too big a fixture burden" "won't somebody please thing of Rangers" "Good chance to blood new talent".

It hadn't actually dawned on me that our atrocious Euros qualifying record pre 1992 was partly down to the SFA not being interested. Shouldn't be surprised I suppose. Must contact Richard McBrearty and see if "150 years of SFA backwardness" could be the next temporary exhibit in the Hampden museum?

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Finland were only others not to enter*; as late as 1971 we played Euros qualifier at Pittodrie as it wasn't seen as 'proper' tournament.

Scotland was only FA to vote against womens football in 1972.

*Cyprus joined UEFA after qualifiers began; and for complex reasons West Germany didn't enter due to issues over East Germany participating after Berlin Wall went up a few months prior.

image.png.aab0488c68690e192adc94e9ea0b372b.png     image.thumb.png.52b9baaf59d6416566cb9f4e191e2364.png

Insane isn't it.

"Sufficient commitments"

Scotland played 4 games in 1962!

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

"The Euros are too big a fixture burden" "won't somebody please thing of Rangers" "Good chance to blood new talent". It hadn't actually dawned on me that our atrocious Euros qualifying record pre 1992 was partly down to the SFA not being interested. Shouldn't be surprised I suppose. Must contact Richard McBrearty and see if "150 years of SFA backwardness" could be the next temporary exhibit in the Hampden museum?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

We were washing our hair. Besides, our dad wouldn't let us borrow the car. Figures.

26 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Insane isn't it. "Sufficient commitments" Scotland played 4 games in 1962!

Remember the Home Championship doubled as WC 1950 and 1954 qualification; plus we played 3 of our 4 qualifiers for 1958 and 1962 in quick succession during May of 1957 and 1961.

It's pretty clear to me SFA and its clubs felt the only internationals during the season should be the Home Championship, the Army and Scottish League challenges, plus high profile home friendlies (themselves pretty rare).

Indeed:

Scotland friendlies during the season in 25yrs to 1970

13 Dec 1950     Scotland v Austria

08 Dec 1954     Scotland v Hungary
12 Mar 1956     (Scotland XI v Anglo South Africans)     
Olympic fundraiser     only 'friendly' we arranged in 2nd half of season during entire period!
21 Nov 1956     Scotland v Yugoslavia

07 Dec 1963      Scotland v Norway

16 Oct 1968      Denmark v Scotland     
correct... we did not arrange an away friendly during the season until 1968!
21 Sep 1969      Eire v Scotland

Scotland qualifiers during the season in 25yrs to 1970

06 Nov 1957     Scotland v Switzerland

26 Sep 1961      Scotland v Czechoslovakia
29 Nov 1961     Scotland v Czechoslovakia (tie-break playoff in Brussels)

21 Oct 1964      Scotland v Finland
13 Oct 1965      Scotland v Poland
09 Nov 1965     Scotland v Italy
07 Dec 1965     Italy v Scotland
     correct... we did not arrange an away qualifier during the season until 1965!

06 Nov 1968     Scotland v Austria
11 Dec 1968     Cyprus v Scotland
16 Apr 1969     Scotland v West Germany
     only qualifier we arranged in 2nd half of season during entire period!
22 Oct 1969     West Germany v Scotland
05 Nov 1969    Austria v Scotland

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Remember the Home Championship doubled as WC 1950 and 1954 qualification; plus we played 3 of our 4 qualifiers for 1958 and 1962 in quick succession during May of 1957 and 1961.

It's pretty clear to me SFA and its clubs felt the only internationals during the season should be the Home Championship, the Army and Scottish League challenges, plus high profile home friendlies (themselves pretty rare).

Indeed:

Scotland friendlies during the season in 25yrs to 1970

13 Dec 1950     Scotland v Austria

08 Dec 1954     Scotland v Hungary
12 Mar 1956     (Scotland XI v Anglo South Africans)     
Olympic fundraiser     only 'friendly' we arranged in 2nd half of season during entire period!
21 Nov 1956     Scotland v Yugoslavia

07 Dec 1963      Scotland v Norway

16 Oct 1968      Denmark v Scotland     
correct... we did not arrange an away friendly during the season until 1968!
21 Sep 1969      Eire v Scotland

Scotland qualifiers during the season in 25yrs to 1970

06 Nov 1957     Scotland v Switzerland

26 Sep 1961      Scotland v Czechoslovakia
29 Nov 1961     Scotland v Czechoslovakia (tie-break playoff in Brussels)

21 Oct 1964      Scotland v Finland
13 Oct 1965      Scotland v Poland
09 Nov 1965     Scotland v Italy
07 Dec 1965     Italy v Scotland
     correct... we did not arrange an away qualifier during the season until 1965!

06 Nov 1968     Scotland v Austria
11 Dec 1968     Cyprus v Scotland
16 Apr 1969     Scotland v West Germany
     only qualifier we arranged in 2nd half of season during entire period!
22 Oct 1969     West Germany v Scotland
05 Nov 1969    Austria v Scotland

Unbelievable. What a bunch of dinosaurs.

Men like Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown deserve credit for dragging our approach to international football out of the 19th century.

Edited by Lurkst

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

Unbelievable. What a bunch of dinosaurs. Men like Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown deserve credit for dragging our approach to international football out of the 19th century.

I wondered if floodlights were a factor but no.

Hampden's were installed long after many other grounds but being opened Oct 1961 and used in Home Championship in Nov 1961 precede Euro 64 'snubbing' decision.

This snobbery also extended to "continental" club competitions. 

The 1960 European Cup final, widely regarded as the greatest ever game played on Scottish soil, does not even merit a mention in the Scottish Football Book the following season.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

This snobbery also extended to "continental" club competitions. 

The 1960 European Cup final, widely regarded as the greatest ever game played on Scottish soil, does not even merit a mention in the Scottish Football Book the following season.

I can't recall the annual or magazine, but I've an article by Kelly the Celtic chairman from early/mid 1960s saying European tournaments are a waste of time and money: give us a British League Cup.